Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, someone knocked off my left rear blinker and I am looking at options I have in replacing the lighting. These lights didnt fit well with my saddlebags anyhow and I was never much a fan of them.

What I want are LED turn signals that are also running lights yet are very close cropped to the bikes frame. I am also wanting to replace the stock tail light with something a little brighter and more attention getting.

I have been looking at this for a tail light replacement
Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight Lens - Spirit 750 & Magna - CTL-0090-IT

These to replace the turn signals
<meta name="keywords" content="48 LED Jumbo Taper Stop Tail Light Black Anodized" /> <meta name="description" content="Our popular Taper style LED Super Light set is now available in a larger jumbo size! Uses include LED turn signals, front running l

I have limited modding/wiring knowledge thus far, will this be possible to do and what will I need in order to make the turn signals running lights as well?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I've seen the intrigrated tailights on a few bikes and decided to stick with what I have. They are not very effective. I mean, unless your looking right at them, they aren't something that catches ones attention unless it's at night. They aren't very good for daytime riding.
With separate signal lights (LEDs especially) you will get noticed better and more apt to get your intentions noticed.
I've seen so many custom bikes with poor tailights on them, it's a wonder more don't get rear ended. I've run with a frined on a Harley with smoked out LED tailight and signals and they're down right dangerous. There is alot of difference between LEDs when it comes to tailights.
I went with the brightest LED tailight I could find for my bikes so I get noticed when I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I got my 2008 Shadow last year, I decided that I wanted another stop lamp on the bike. I looked at the Admore light bar. It has 72 LED's that are wired into the rear brake/stop lamp and the left and right rear turn signals. It is bright enough to be seen at a distance in the daytime, and a blind person can see it at night. I attached mine to the back of my luggage rack with some small hose clamps (the kind with the rubber on them) and ran the wire alongside the rear fender and under the seat. It is weather-proof and very durable (shock resistant). It has worked flawlessly since I installed it.

www.admorelighting.com

I hope this helps. If I can find some pics of the install, I will post. If not, it'll have to wait until Wednesday when its clear here in Baltimore again.

You might want to check your local laws regarding these kinds of lights. I've had no legal trouble up to this point in time.8)

Mike

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I looked into LED lights when doing some custom work on my bobber. I found some of those LED trailer lights that look like they would fit just right under my bobtail fender, so I did some experimenting and ended up with a cheap ($16) LED tailight that's quite a bit brighter than the standard tailights.
It'll blind you at night and really gets noticed in bright sunlight. Perfect fit too.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/211.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/102_1893.jpg

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have the integrated tail light. It will require getting two more wires to go from the tail light to under the seat so you can attach the turn signal part. You may have to remove the rear fender to do it. I also have the license plate LED lights and the stock turn signals. It looks like a darn Christmas tree from the rear with so much on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen the intrigrated tailights on a few bikes and decided to stick with what I have. They are not very effective. I mean, unless your looking right at them, they aren't something that catches ones attention unless it's at night. They aren't very good for daytime riding.
With separate signal lights (LEDs especially) you will get noticed better and more apt to get your intentions noticed.
I've seen so many custom bikes with poor tailights on them, it's a wonder more don't get rear ended. I've run with a frined on a Harley with smoked out LED tailight and signals and they're down right dangerous. There is alot of difference between LEDs when it comes to tailights.
I went with the brightest LED tailight I could find for my bikes so I get noticed when I hit the brakes.
Painter, my intention is to run the integrated taillight in addition to a set of high power LED turn signals.

I know not all LED's are made equal, does anyone have suggestions as to where to get the LED's from?

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is what I was talking about earlier
DSC00641.JPG ; DSC00647.JPG ; DSC00648.JPG
The first picture shows the wiring underneath the seat. The wires are connected using new style connectors.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I went one step further and changed the LED tailight that had 7 LEDs in it, to one I found that has 24 LEDs in it. WOW, talk about bright!!
I changed it yesterday and will have to get a photo of it today. If that don't get your attention, nothing will. Like it's been said, "A blind person could see it!".
One thing nice about LEDs, you can load the bike full of them and they don't take much juice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts