Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody point me to a module that I can wire into my "Key On Hot" wiring that will give a small dinging/beeping sound when the key is turned on ( like the cars have if you leave the key in the ignition):roll:

It does NOT have to go off when the engine starts and it can remain beeping while engine is running ...

WHY you ask??? .. Because I need a fail safe to alert me that I have left the key in the "On" position ( which means my lights are still on and sucking my battery dry:-:)-( ) while I am flapping my gums to whomever ... after I kill the engine by with the kickstand or thumb switch ....

Happened to me twice in the past year and sad to say the embasrrasment is apparently not enough for teach me a lesson to turn the key to off ....

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Just get into the habit of killing the engine by the key switch. Just start doing it every time and eventually it will become second nature.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It's WAY simpler to kill the engine the way the manufacturer designed the bike to operate. Use the key. Then all the other issues go away and you don't have to invent some system to work around improper operation of the ignition. Doing it right is so easy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Radio Shack sells a piezoelectric sounder unit for just a few bucks that beeps intermittently . There are ways to connect them to only energize with the key on and engine not running. Powering it off the oil pressure sending unit would work but I'd have to look at the schematic to make sure it wouldn't interfere with the lamp but I believe that would work. It does seem that it would be very easy to just condition yourself to do it another way though. Get into the habit of looking at your dash while you switch off the engine or do what I'm in the habit of doing and use the key. I know the MSF course tells you to use the thumb switch but I've been doing it my way since 1967.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
When you're just about to turn around and walk away from your bike, grab the fuel valve lever to switch off your fuel valve even though it's already switched off. This serves a twofold purpose. (A) you might have actually left the fuel valve in the on position which isn't unheard of. (B) when you discover that you really did leave the key in the ignition, to others around you, it'll seem that you really didn't unforget, sparing you the obligatory slap on the forehead. Be aware that there are thieves who spy on riders who have just parked their bikes to make the most of the opportunity, happens more with mopeds though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks beezer .. I'll take a look .....

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
It's WAY simpler to kill the engine the way the manufacturer designed the bike to operate. Use the key. Then all the other issues go away and you don't have to invent some system to work around improper operation of the ignition. Doing it right is so easy.
^^yup

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks beezer .. I'll take a look .....
The wife's bike is an 07 Shadow Spirit and I'm looking at her schematic, but yours should be the same. If not it's easy to find out. The sounder unit from Radio Shack has three wires: Intermittent, Constant and (-)ground . Use the Intermittent and ground wires. Solder the intermittent wire to a +12V source. and connect the black/ground wire from the unit to your blue/red wire going to the oil pressure sending unit.

This unit connected in this manner would also serve as an audible oil pressure warning.

It'll also get everyone's attention in the immediate area because it sounds exactly like a vehicle back-up alarm.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I`ll hafta go look and read it again, but, I think I remember MOM telling me to turn my bike OFF with the key...
MOM Knows Best!!
Know Your Bike,
D

·
Registered
354 Posts
I`ll hafta go look and read it again, but, I think I remember MOM telling me to turn my bike OFF with the key...
MOM Knows Best!!
Know Your Bike,
D
My Mom told me to stay away from those dangerous damned motorcycles. We see where that got me.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
MOM Knows Best!!
Know Your Bike,
D
Yes. my Honda owners manual states to use the ignition key to turn off the engine. The "kill switch" is just that, to kill the engine if you happen to dump the bike. I've also use the fork lock and lock the bike which requires the use of the key so it has to be removed from the ignition ;)

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
HOM & MOM are helpful in learning my Bike...
Even with me "being in the habit" of switching it OFF with the key, I sometimes let the clutch out or drop the kickstand, only to have someone tell me, "You left your headlight on"...
Rarely, but still,
D

I need a FLASHING RED LIGHT & bungy cord attached to the Key:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Breezer ... thanks for helping out .....I'll be going to the shack tommorrow .... and then checking out my diagrams too ....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Breezer ... thanks for helping out .....I'll be going to the shack tommorrow .... and then checking out my diagrams too ....

Radio Shack part# 273-0796 . It has very light gauge wire so you'll have to be careful with placement and routing.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I have a red strobe I`ll let you have click...
12 volts to it will strobe until it is powered down...
I bought it for a "third brake light" but never installed it...

Good Luck,
D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Radio Shack part# 273-0796 . It has very light gauge wire so you'll have to be careful with placement and routing.
Beezer - Thanks so much for the part number ... I wired the beeper ground into the Blue/R wire from the oil sending unit, and when the engine is NOT running but the key is (left) ON, the oil light naturally comes on ... and also the new audible reminder beeper goes to ON :D.

When the bike is started, the oil light goes OFF and the the alarm beeper ALSO goes off. :D

An additional benefit is that if I hear that beeper going off at IDLE,t is a warning that the oil pressure needs to be checked ... So then, out of the deal I got a low oil pressure audible AND a lights left on audible ...:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Beezer - Thanks so much for the part number ... I wired the beeper ground into the Blue/R wire from the oil sending unit, and when the engine is NOT running but the key is (left) ON, the oil light naturally comes on ... and also the new audible reminder beeper goes to ON :D.

When the bike is started, the oil light goes OFF and the the alarm beeper ALSO goes off. :D

An additional benefit is that if I hear that beeper going off at IDLE,t is a warning that the oil pressure needs to be checked ... So then, out of the deal I got a low oil pressure audible AND a lights left on audible ...:mrgreen:

That's .. Like .. Six kinds of Genius! :cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Man I'm just glad it helped solve a problem. I used that same beeper on my turn signals and my wife's turn signals as well. She's a beginner and my only excuse is I'm absent minded I guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts