Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

I am looking into upgrading my lights on my 07 Shadow Spirit 750. I keep seeing that LED is the way to go. However, I don't know where to start. I have done just enough research to confuse me a bit more.

So where do I start? What have others tried and worked or not worked? Any links would be helpful.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
363 Posts
I have gone with a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and like the results. Have not heard, yet, of an led for my specific (yet stock) headlight reflector that throws light in the correct pattern.
Leds are kinda tricky critters in that where and what led chips drastically effect the beam pattern so i went with the Ultra that throws a great pattern.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,898 Posts
I'm sure you get lots of advice. This is the route I would go if your going LED. Whole new bucket with LED headlight. Not necessarily this one but something like this. Don't know what size headlight you have now and I would probably look for a bucket and a different, more expensive headlight like the ones Eagle lights sells
https://www.amazon.com/LEDOPPO-Head...ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=1U9Q3M4JDBKJP&keywords=7"+motorcycle+headlight+bucket+and+led+light&qid=1655738705&sprefix=7+motorcycle+headlight+bucket+and+led+ligh%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSUJIVU9CVUJONFAxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzgxMjA0MkowMFBXMUw2TzkyWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzQ5NTA1R1hSMVNVWE5JUVozJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,063 Posts
LED bulbs are not really that difficult. But there are some differences that you need to keep in mind.

Buy from a reputable company, I get all mine from super tire led.com. Just my preference.

Talking about all bulbs except the headlight now. You want to get the bulb in the color of the lens it is going behind. If using clear or smoked lenses use a bulb that is proper for the location. You can search bulbs by their incandescent bulb part number and for the most part the bulb will fit. There are longer/larger types available but you would need to measure the housing carefully to make sure they will fit. If you have a low fuel light leave the incandescent bulb in it. There are additional things that need to be done for a LED bulb to work in the low fuel light.

Headlight bulbs now. If you look at any incandescent bulb you will notice the filament in the bulb. When power is applied the filament glows thus creating a spot of light that radiates in all directions. With a LED bulb the LED chips are mounted to a PC board. Most LED headlights have two or more chips mounted to the board 180* apart. This creates a few issues that are apparent in the beam pattern. With two chips opposite each other there is a dead space that is not producing light so instead of one point of light there is two points of light and they are further apart than the incandescent spot of light. This is why a LED bulb in a housing designed for a incandescent bulb can cause pattern differences. When looking for a LED headlight bulb you want to get one that has the least amount of space between the chips. There can also be differences front to back location of the chips that is different from the incandescent filament. From what I have learned most quality manufacturers will provide drawings to compare their bulb with.

The bulb I bought six years ago has a small darker area in the center of the low beam. I have gotten use to it and found that it is not really an issue because if it is important to have more light in this area I just turn in the high beam. It really is not bad and there is light in the center it is just not as bright. It’s hard to explain.

Hopefully this did not make your confusion worse.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stanman13

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
324 Posts
LED bulbs are not really that difficult. But there are some differences that you need to keep in mind.

Buy from a reputable company, I get all mine from super tire led.com. Just my preference.

Talking about all bulbs except the headlight now. You want to get the bulb in the color of the lens it is going behind. If using clear or smoked lenses use a bulb that is proper for the location. You can search bulbs by their incandescent bulb part number and for the most part the bulb will fit. There are longer/larger types available but you would need to measure the housing carefully to make sure they will fit. If you have a low fuel light leave the incandescent bulb in it. There are additional things that need to be done for a LED bulb to work in the low fuel light.

Headlight bulbs now. If you look at any incandescent bulb you will notice the filament in the bulb. When power is applied the filament glows thus creating a spot of light that radiates in all directions. With a LED bulb the LED chips are mounted to a PC board. Most LED headlights have two or more chips mounted to the board 180* apart. This creates a few issues that are apparent in the beam pattern. With two chips opposite each other there is a dead space that is not producing light so instead of one point of light there is two points of light and they are further apart than the incandescent spot of light. This is why a LED bulb in a housing designed for a incandescent bulb can cause pattern differences. When looking for a LED headlight bulb you want to get one that has the least amount of space between the chips. There can also be differences front to back location of the chips that is different from the incandescent filament. From what I have learned most quality manufacturers will provide drawings to compare their bulb with.

The bulb I bought six years ago has a small darker area in the center of the low beam. I have gotten use to it and found that it is not really an issue because if it is important to have more light in this area I just turn in the high beam. It really is not bad and there is light in the center it is just not as bright. It’s hard to explain.

Hopefully this did not make your confusion worse.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good post. I have the same experience with the headlight pattern with my led headlight. There's a small darker area in the center. There are some other small variations in the pattern, but overall it's faithful to the original and the improvement in overall brightness more than compensates for it. The long distance projection on the bright beam is light years better (I crack myself up :ROFLMAO:).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts