Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you can identify with this. Since I rode a Victory Kingpin 1500 a few weeks ago, I've been yearning for something with more power than my VT1100 Sabre.

I bought a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter VN1500 (the Indian Chief clone) last week from a used car dealer in GA. I've been riding it for a few days as well as checking it out mechanically. Didn't get an owner's manual and one of the turn signal housings was cracked so I ordered those.

The Drifter is a great open road bike, lots of power and gearing for cruising easy. The engine has the noticeable lifter noise common to the kawa 1500. Other than that the deep, throaty sound out of the stock exhaust really sounds good. Because it looks like an old 1940's Indian Chief people tend to stare at it.

After giving it a fair try, I've come to the conclusion that the Sabre fits me better - "like an old pair of jeans". My evaluation consisted of riding the Drifter and then riding the Sabre using basically the same route. (If the Sabre just had a 6th gear for cruising...). I just decided today that the Sabre is the hands down winner for me. Maybe I'll have a pair of my old faded jeans made into a seat cover for that Mustang saddle! :)

So, it looks like I'll be listing a 2005 Drifter on eBay Motors in a couple of weeks after the turn signal and manual arrive. I'm still itching to try a VTX 1800 though. Maybe I'll find a "sdeal" on one of those close by (now how likely is that to happen).

Anyone else out there still searching for that perfect fit in a bike? If so, share your experience here...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dude, one of my main riding buddies rides a drifter 1500 and I must say "you are an Oak" (tombstone) my friend. The drifter is sick ride, but I am glad you found your old pair of jeans more comfey.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
destinrider said:
Anyone else out there still searching for that perfect fit in a bike? If so, share your experience here...
I found mine with the FJR. I still have (and like) my Sabre, but the FJR is *it* for me.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I found the Suzuki wee-strom to be an amazing ride, I am just waiting to ride the 1000 V-Strom, but I was more comfortable on the wee, it handles infinitely better and had more power (650cc in the wee) better shifting. I could spend hours more time riding one than I could the shadow, and enjoy it more.

Shadow is an old pair of jeans the strom is a pair of Aerostitch Darien Pants.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It is the Valkryie for me. When I have gotten back on the Spirit...it just fells small.

I would have never though that I would find a different bike than the Spirit...yeah, I dreamed...but never thought it would have actually happened...and then the Valk came to me...and now...I couldn't imagine anything else.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Exactly the way I feel on my Stratoliner. It feels like it was custom made for me.

When I decided to move up from my Spirit 1100, I tried a VTX 1800; Vulcan 2000; Rocket III; Harley Duece; Harley Road King; Harley Street Bob.

As soon as I sat on the Stratoliner, everything was so completely natural, I knew the shopping was over.

Regards. -Jay

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If a Sabre 1100 is a comfy pair of jeans, then a Goldwing is a see-through black fishnet teddy on [your_preferred_hottie_here]. Yeah, it's that sexy.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
TucsonDon said:
If a Sabre 1100 is a comfy pair of jeans, then a Goldwing is a see-through black fishnet teddy on [your_preferred_hottie_here]. Yeah, it's that sexy.
Yeah....someone is "Jonesing" for a wing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Have to agree with Spirit 1100....
The Valk is the "perfect fit".
The wife's SS750 is another class down in size so it feels good in it's own right, but for my big behind..it's all about the F6!
[/img]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tropic traveler said:
Have to agree with Spirit 1100....
The Valk is the "perfect fit"..... but for my big behind..it's all about the F6!
I really like the looks of the Valk....and I'm a heavyweight with a big behind...maybe I should give the Valk a closer look. I like my legs forward when I ride....a highway bar with footpegs should take care of that. Any suggestions for which older year model from you Valk riders?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Littlex said:
I like the Wing. But somehow I can't associate the Gold Wing and sexy.
It's a stretch ... I'll admit. The looks of the Goldwing definitely say something, and that something is not "crazy young turk living life out on the edge." But as we've discussed many times elsewhere on this forum, the handling and agility of the Wing lays waste to any notion the bike is a lumbering pig on wheels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Isn't it a little funny how we all seem to have a comfy fit with a different kind/style of bike & that's ok. But bring a HD in to the mix & the testosterone begins to flow. :?
I love all bikes & it really doesn't matter what kind/style it is. I'm glad you found what you love destinrider. :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
After giving it a fair try, I've come to the conclusion that the Sabre fits me better - "like an old pair of jeans". My evaluation consisted of riding the Drifter and then riding the Sabre using basically the same route. (If the Sabre just had a 6th gear for cruising...). I just decided today that the Sabre is the hands down winner for me. Maybe I'll have a pair of my old faded jeans made into a seat cover for that Mustang saddle!

I've actually seen a seat covered in old denim, and it was very cool. Also one done from an old brown leather bombers jacket.
If you covered the seat in the old denim it would start a lot of conversations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ride a VLX and it's such a perfect fit, which makes it an absolute hoot to ride. I want a new bike..a bigger bike, but I'm so afraid that I'm going to get the bigger bike and then discover that it's not a good fit and as a result, not as enjoyable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Grampa said:
Isn't it a little funny how we all seem to have a comfy fit with a different kind/style of bike & that's ok. But bring a HD in to the mix & the testosterone begins to flow. :?
I love all bikes & it really doesn't matter what kind/style it is. I'm glad you found what you love destinrider. :D
Although it is not in my destiny the HD StreetRod (very cool capabilities) is very close to being my type of bike.
I will probably be looking at a FZ1 at the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

Benny

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a Valk

News Flash! I traded the Drifter for a low mileage, immaculate, 98 Valkyrie Standard with Hondaline windshield, Leatherlyke bags and other chrome goodies. Got a Mustang Studded Vintage seat and mid-range forward controls (from New Zealand) on the way. Love the F6 engine! Expecting the Mustang seat and forward controls to make it 'old jeans' comfy. Still holding on to the Sabre for now. More to follow....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts