Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am notorious for low-balling myself when I sell things. I posted my 86 VT1100C on Craigslist for $1750 and got an offer of $1500.

Should I sell it?

It's got Jardine pipes installed on it.
With a custom green on blue paint job.
New battery installed this season
Brand new tires too
Runs great.
17K miles
Some small scratches and the obvious surface corrosion but good condition for its age.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
1500 is a fair offer. Around here any running motorcycle sells for at least 1000 bucks. One as clean as yours could be expected to sell for at least 1500.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
From what I can tell from the photos, that is a really nice looking bike and as long as everything operates well, I would think that 1,900 to 2,100 would be more like it. I wouldn't sell my 83 750 for less than 1,700. (8k miles and excellent condition). I would pay 1,750.00 for that bike. Let me know if you are close to Washington lol!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know if you are close to Washington lol!
DC? Sorta... State, just about as far away as the lower 48 can be.

Thanks guys for saying what a nice bike it is. It really is for being 25 years old and me not really doing anything cosmetically to it. I just changed all fluids, spark plugs, brakes, and tires. Then added all the parts it was missing - as these older ones seem to end up missing parts.

I come off a Road Star and the 1100, though nice, just isn't for me. I will be shunned for this next comment but I test rode a Victory Cross Roads and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I might like the Cross Country but have yet to try it.

Part of me wants to keep this bike just to have it, but the rest of me (the wife) could use the cash for "bills". :-/

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
DCs the wrong Washington! I am looking for a larger bike but am planning on keeping my current bike. Let us know how it ends up.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fly out... ride back! The sig has the location. ;-)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
when i set my prices when i sell things, i don't do the whole negotiatin' stuff. the price is the price. in your case if your really needin' the money and no one else is lookin' at it, i'd let it go. i guess it all just depends on if ya need the Benjamins.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I too would give you your asking price in a heartbeat, if only you were closer. Very nice bike... !

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
****.... maybe I should give it a bath and add another $300-$400....

"need" the Benjamins? No. Thankfully not yet. But we all want the most buck for our bang right?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could do it, just not on this stock seat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great lookin' bike!

I have a similar 1985. If everything works great, I think $2100 is a fine price. However, if the bike has the typical "pops out of 3rd gear" problem that most '85s and '86s have,, then $1000 to $1200 would be more appropriate. There are no parts available to fix this problem.

Sorry, but that's just the way things are. Ticks me off, but it's all Honda's fault.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never had any tranny issues. Haven't heard of this one either. Mechanically she's sound. It's (to me) cosmetics. And of course the (lack of) comfort on the long hauls.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It's kind of hard to judge what price you should let it go at when prices vary so much around the country. Around here, older bikes don't sell very well and very often you can find good running 1980's bikes for $600 to $1000. Just the other day I saw a 1998 VT1100C posted for sale for $2700, average miles, average condition. My friend bought his 1995 VT1100C for $1500. I bought my 1994 VT1100 for even less than that (it's nice to find those deals though).

But, for your situation you can always counter offer if you're not in a hurry to sell. Tell him you'll let it go for $1600 or $1650. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I want it right now.
Can you put it in the mail for me:mrgreen::mrgreen:.
I´m going to try to get the whole set from 1986 VT500, VT700 and a VT 1100.
Maybe it´s just a dream but it would be nice to have them all

Gunnar Már

Iceland

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's kind of hard to judge what price you should let it go at when prices vary so much around the country. Around here, older bikes don't sell very well and very often you can find good running 1980's bikes for $600 to $1000. Just the other day I saw a 1998 VT1100C posted for sale for $2700, average miles, average condition. My friend bought his 1995 VT1100C for $1500. I bought my 1994 VT1100 for even less than that (it's nice to find those deals though).

But, for your situation you can always counter offer if you're not in a hurry to sell. Tell him you'll let it go for $1600 or $1650. :)
Bought (stole) my 89 for $800. Spent more than that since to "customize"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts