Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in high school, I asked my Algebra teacher where I would use Algebra and Geometry in life. The moronic dope actually said to me "You never will have any use for this stuff". As of that day, I stopped trying, failed the classes and had to take summer school my junior and senior years (yes, after graduation) to pass the classes and get my HS diploma.

Almost right out of high school I took a job with a...ready for this...land surveying company. I fell in love with the work, learned all kinds of advanced mathematics and worked in the field for over thirteen years. The lesson is, once I had a reason for the math, it started making sense to me and I learned it very quickly.

Now, the reason for my post. I am facing the same issue with my 15 year old, home schooled daughter. She is very bright but, like I did, is struggling with math. I find that, because of her lack of life experience, she doesn't accept my or her mothers statements that she needs this basic mathematics study and that it will come in very handy later in life.

Does anyone here know of any publications that are available that will help me to learn how to show a 15 year old child how and why math is so vitally important in life? I know why, I just have difficulty "showing" her the importance of why. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The problem is that until you find a reason for math on your own then there will be not much to be said to convince you otherwise. I hated math in school and my grades reflected that. For the next several decades I had very little use for math much more than balancing my checkbook. It was only when I went back to college that I learned to enjoy math and I still do. Let her discover how math will be important in her life and then help her find the right instructor to teach it to her.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did land surveying in the DFW area right out of highschool, myself.

Good lord I hated everything about that job.

I have a 9 year old daughter that has straight As in everything, but drags her feet on every dang math problem she has to do just because she doesn't like math. :(

Let me know if you find anything, I've got a feeling I'll be in the same boat in a couple years.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Tell them, "Honey...if you have 3 ounces of pot and Jane has 3/4 an ounce of pot...how many ounces does Shelby have?" Put it into their real life situations. :-D

·
Registered
200 Posts
You are asking if there is a magic book of parenting?

Very few parents have 15 year olds that will benefit immediately from parental wisdom.
It is usually when we get much older that we realize the intent of our parents and their nagging.

im 24 and, unfortunately, you are correct...i hate realizing that my parents, for the most part, were right

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
im 24 and, unfortunately, you are correct...i hate realizing that my parents, for the most part, were right
same here. I didn't realize how smart my dad actually was. I was too busy already knowing everything.
It wasn't until later that I realized how much he really taught me.

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
No, not looking for a magic book, just hoping against all hope to possibly be able to impart something different to my daughter than what I went through.
well you already have a different attitude then your teacher did..guess that is a start. What things is she interested in that may have mathematical ramifications? Kids like us need to relate to a subject in real world kind of sense.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
...I I know from math I learned from this...Donald Duck in Mathamagical Land..

In fact I went back to it later in life to improve my pool shooting skills...actually has a section on how the diamonds on a pool table work using Pythagorean theorems.....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
maybe one of her peers in the local school that loves math can be hired to tutor her. someone she would relate to better than you and your wife

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Funny, as I'm delving into learning electronics right now, I had a thought the other day about math and my math teachers.

I wish my math teachers were not complete morons detached from reality and completely unrelatable on a personal level. My math teachers all dressed 30 years in the past, had almost schizophrenic personalities, and seemed to be trying to exact revenge on everyone around them for a childhood of bullying.

So now, as I need to figure out what resistors to use to get 5V out of 12V, or a year ago when I was calculating density altitude, max hover ceiling, fuel consumption rates, etc. for flying a helicopter, or 10 years ago when I needed to do algebra while working with hydraulics, or figuring out what kind of down payment we need to save up for to buy a house when we get back to the US... well I wish I had not only struggled through learning from those idiots the useful thing they had to teach, I wish I had taken my math study a lot further.

JMO but if you truly want to understand anything in depth, eventually you get into math. Even people, when you start looking at how they behave in groups, can be explained with math.

Understanding math helps you see what a bad statistic looks like from a mile away.

It's MUCH easier to learn it in school than to have to figure it out for yourself later in life.

There's nothing in life that isn't governed by or explained by math.

I also learned this lesson way too late in life.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Eric:

PM me your phone number. I will have Ingrid give you a call and you can pick her brain.

She is a high school math teacher and goes through this constantly with her kids who dislike math. :) I am sure she will be able to give you some great advice as she is a brilliant teacher.

Chris

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Eric:

PM me your phone number. I will have Ingrid give you a call and you can pick her brain.

She is a high school math teacher and goes through this constantly with her kids who dislike math. :) I am sure she will be able to give you some great advice as she is a brilliant teacher.

Chris
Wish I had had at least ONE brilliant Math teacher...

I had an outstanding English teacher my Junior year of high school, and an incredible History teacher my Senior year. Guess where I ended up dedicating my efforts. Ingrid's kids don't know how lucky they are.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I know how kids feel today regarding math. I hated math class! I survived algebra and algebra II, but had major problems in Mrs. Finnigan's geometry class in 1977. I sat there in a foggy haze, asking around, "Um, what is she talking about, man?" ;-)

It wasn't until later in life when I realized I should have paid attention in math class.

Example: I needed to measure the square footage of my kitchen floor, before my wife and I laid down new peel 'n stick floor tiles.

Example: When I got into archery and bowhunting for deer, I needed to understand the Pythagorean Theorum better, so I would know exactly how far away the angle (hypotenuse) of the shot actually is. (i.e. If I'm 20' up in a treestand, and a nice 8 point buck is out there 35 yards away (105') - exactly just how far away is he by line of sight or arrow flight? You know... the ol' a2 + b2 = c2.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
This really ought to be pretty easy. You need to use real examples.
i.e History/archeology -- how tall are the pyramids?
i.e. Banking/credit cards - 21% interest on $100 purchase paid back at the minimum of $17/mo costs how much? $100k/30 year loan --- what is the final cost?
i.e sports - baseball stats

The beauty of engineering is math is a tool with which we use to quantify our world. Physics is what we use to understand it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts