Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stole this from my other forum, where do you stop to eat.........the only rule is it cant be a nationwide franchise (mcd's,wnedys, ets)

Me, I like to ride up to vegas, and stop at " Peggy sue's 50's Diner "

The food is nothing special, but you have a lot of old memorabilia there,including life size elvis

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I was in your area, I liked a little place called Killer Pizza From Mars. I have no idea what the road name is, but it's off the highway you take from the 15 to get to Palomar, about halfway between the 15 and the beach. If you're heading toward the beach, you turn right at a stoplight (sorry can't tell you which one for sure) then right into a plaza that faces away from the highway.

The best place I can remember eating at was a bar and grill in Jasper, Indiana called Garfields. They have a steak and mexican platter with a LOT of GOOD food.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well my one of my favorites is Sonics, since we just got one around here and its a really nice ride through all the back roads of Lancaster to get there... but you said national chains don't count...

So, Local...

Helens Sausage house - Smyrna, De
Wally's BBQ - Smyrna, De
Durhams BBQ - Elkton, md/Newark, De
Jakey's - Lancaster, Pa
Millers - Lancaster, PA
Lancaster Sausage shop - Boothwyn, PA
Stoltulfutz Sausage shop - New Castle, PA
Dough Rollers Pizza - Ocean City, MD
The Dog House - New Castle, De
Jimmy Johns - Chads Ford, PA
Harrys Hot Dogs - Exton, Pa

I'm sure I can think of a few more... (if you can't tell I like to eat... alot :lol: )

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Xodus...Jimmy Johns is actually West Chester...I've had heart burn there a few times myself :lol:

Then there was Betty's Ice Cream just a but north of that on Rt. 202 (now gone :( )

When I lived in Massachusetts there was Harrys Root Beer Stand in Taunton, any place with Ice Cream works ;) There is that soft serve place (a gazillion flavors) down towards Wareham right before the sign entering Wareham, just after that big GMC dealership...can't remember the route number or name of the place...

Haven't gotten to try any places locally yet (NJ) but will soon :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Downtown Indy & Broadripple area-Yatz-Cajun style very authentic food & unique settings

Northwest Indy-Arnie's-Good food and a lot of motorcycle decor

Whitestown Indiana- L A Cafe- Good Food and a lot of motorcycle decor

Danville Indiana-Mayberry Cafe-A must if you are an Andy Griffith fan

Danville Indiana-Dave's All-American Pizza-Foods good prices are good decor is extremely patriotic. If you are a vetern let Dave know he will treat you like royalty

Mooresville Indiana-Zydeco's- Authentic cajun food

Mooresville Indiana-Squeelers-Good BBQ

Greencastle Indiana-Monon Resturant-Hole in the wall resturant with lots of train memorabilia-I recommend the breaded tenderloin

Mitchell Indiana-The Mill Inn-The best bacon cheeseburgers me and my daughter have found on a road trip

Holland Michigan-8th Street Grille- Good food and atmosphere

Downtown Nashville TN- Sevalia's-Hole in the wall resturant with a cool story. The lady that owns it came from some small Europeon country (which I can't remember) worked in the resturant at a large hotel in downtown Nashville. Rented this little building acroos from the hotel and started her own resturant, when we first started going she was actually cookig off a 30" range like you would have in your house. The food is good prices are good and homemade pastries are awesome especially the baklava

Now I am hungry I guess I better go have some breakfast...
Hmmm where to go?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, if any of ya make it to Bluffton, SC ya need to check out the "Squat and Gobble". They're open M-F for breakfast, lunch and dinner and just breakfast and lunch on the weekends. They have a little bit of everything, including pizza. It's a nice locals gathering place.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Home Place, Catawba, VA. Sort of a PA Dutch type setting with a southern flair.

Capt. Johns, Waynesboro, VA. Great seafood.

Marios, Arlington, VA. Been there over 50 years. Best Steak, Egg and Cheese sub that you will ever eat.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Clarks Fish Camp - Jax, FL - best fish and prime rib around

Famous Amos - All over - Local greasy spoon chain, we go every friday night for late night breakfast.

Mojo BBQ - Jax, FL - best bbq in town, my son bought me dinner there last night, mmm...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
On my rides I stay away from fast food and national eateries like they have the plague.
I look for rustic, scenic, outside seating, one of a kind, hole in the wall, greasy spoon, railcar diners.
Or a sidewalk deli like the one I ate at yesterday in Sausalito, California.
Here you see us standing in line to order our burgers, what you don't see is the pretty little mini skirted sweetheart that talked us into letting her take our order while we could wait inside the bar.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
A and M grill Mebane, NC.

Sanitary Cafe Morehead City, NC

Stamey's BBQ Greensboro, NC

Any BBQ joint in Lexington NC or central NC for that matter, 8)

Crabtree Campground Grill and Gro., Crabtree Meadows Campground BRP, NC

·
Registered
78 Posts
Two places in Grand Rapids, Ohio. They are side by side!

1) Couzins

2) LaRoe's

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Jimmy Johns is the greatest hot dog joint going!!!! My favorite.
Never been to Shady Maple but some work buddies have recommended it.
There is a little burger joint at "5 points" in Aston, PA called
Zac's Hamburgers. Not spectacular but a nice place to stop with pretty decent milk shakes.
Also, there is Nifty Fifty's down McDade Blvd. in Folson / Prospect Park? near the Philadelphia Airport. Great atmosphere and excellent shakes in a million different flavors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Diners....whatta bout diners

Eagle Diner in New Hope
The Box Car in Glen Mills (where the pancakes are as big as your head)
Minellas Diner in Wayne
DaddyPops in Hatboro
Hell, who doesn't like breakfast?

·
Registered
91 Posts
In my old home town of Chicago: Portillo's(best Italian Beef), Lou Malnati's(pizza) and Twin Anchors(Ribs)

In Amarillo, TX: David's Steakhouse(awesome)

In SoCal: Paty's(diner) in Toluca Lake, CA, Naja's(bar/restaurant) in Redondo Beach, CA, La Super-Rica Taqueria(taco stand) in Santa Barbara, CA, Neptune's Net(great clam chowder) in Malibu, CA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I typically look for the local bar/grille type place and try a burger or wings. I avoid chains (with the exception of Charcoal Grill, a local chain with about 5 locations) Two summers ago I made a mental pledge to try out different bars and restaurants buffalo wings and keep track of it. I started a blog but didn't keep up on it. I do have a mental list of some of the best wing places in Southeastern Wisconsin. I must have tried 10 different places over the course of a few months.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Jims Drive In. They do curb service and the best hotdogs I've ever had, and I've had hotdogs in a lot of places.

Rio Grande Mexican. Very good food, lots of it, and cheap.

·
Registered
544 Posts
at the rally in Roanoke we ate at some DAMN good places!!! i dont remember the names - VTXRob would know!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts