Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my new bike put new exhaust on but didn’t re-jet so it pops and burps a bit at low RPM's. I stopped in the local Honda shop, (Tacoma Power Sports) to get an estimate on a tune up and re-jet. The guy at the service counter just smiled at me and said the bike was too old to work on. What? I asked him why and he told me that the shop policy was that they didn't work on any bike older that 1990. He said that too many owners would bring in a bike, have it worked on, see the bill and dump the bike on them. I asked if I could pay in advance and he said no. He gave me the name of a local shop down the road, and I headed there.

The folks at that shop, (PSM Cycles in Tacoma) were happy to give me an estimate and even offered to give me a free inspection of my new bike.

When I told them what the Honda shop had said they just laughed. According to them the reason they don't work on anything older than a 1990 is their techs don't know how to do carb work anymore. She said most of their techs were young guys just out of school and they don't even teach carb work anymore. She said that half of there work came from customers they refused to help.

Now I know that there might be more to it than that, but it doesn’t change the fact they turned me away.

I understand that I don't own the newest bike on the road and I won't be buying hundred's of dollars of dress up chrome accessories, but what happened to service?

I can tell you this much, when I get ready to buy that new $10,000 bike, they won't be getting my business.

mindfungus

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've run into that same deal at a couple places in MN.

It's frustrating, but I read between the lines and interpret their refusal to work on classic bikes as an admission that:
"We, um, not so good at fixy bikes, dah, we can't even spel karbooratur."

I wouldn't try to talk them into working on my bike, and I certainly wouldn't prepay when it's obvious they don't know how to fix classic bikes.

Plus, if they are working on an unfamiliar bike, they might not do any better of a job than I can do, and the labor costs would be higher than reasonable since they'd spend alot of time dinking around trying to figure out what they are doing.

To those shops:
"Don't want to work on my bike? You say there is someone that does?
Thanks, I won't darken your door again."

$.02, -K

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Congrats on finding a decent shop. Although it's pretty bad that the local Honda shop won't work on your bike, at least they gave ya the name of a place that would.....

·
Registered
539 Posts
xrayr said:
Congrats on finding a decent shop. Although it's pretty bad that the local Honda shop won't work on your bike, at least they gave ya the name of a place that would.....
Absolutely. They could have taken your money and gave you the "royal" treatment. I'd be thankful that they, at least, lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm sure they know how to work on carbs. If they sell Hondas, they sell bikes that have carbs. They would have to know how to work on them to be Honda certified.

·
Registered
139 Posts
spoupard said:
I'm sure they know how to work on carbs. If they sell Hondas, they sell bikes that have carbs. They would have to know how to work on them to be Honda certified.
I totally agree with that. In addition, I have to say that carbs are not really that difficult to work on. Before getting my 450, I had never done any serious mechanical work on any vehicle. Just oil changes, spark plugs, and other simple stuff like that. But when I got my bike, I looked at the service manuals and decided it didn't look too difficult. I completely tore down, cleaned, and rebuilt the carbs on my non-working engine, and now she purrs like a happy kitten.

So if a non-mechanical guy like me can do that, I would certainly hope that a trained professional could read a service manual and figure it out too. :lol:

Glad you found a good shop that was willing to do the work for you.

Good luck with your "classic".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts