Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently a combination of a (I guess) heavy right foot, grooved pavement, and damp roads can be mildly exciting. Basically the light turned yellow, and it was right in that grey area were I figured I could stop and if I matted it I could have made it. Anyway, point being, I hit the brakes (likely not enough front) and then happily locked up the rear brake and slid into the intersection (riding the slide out as I was taught), I looked around at the other drivers (their light had either not yet gone green or had just changed), shrugged, and rode off. So lesson learned, be kinder to the rear brake, and if I think I can make it be "that guy" that more or less runs the red...

·
Registered
619 Posts
glad you didn't have an accident! but make sure you use the breaks equally. if it starts to lock up just let off and then apply them again. and make sure to downshift. I know it's hard to think about all that stuff, but with more experience it becomes more natural.

I always try to make it, if it's yellow! haha :lol:

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
So lesson learned, be kinder to the rear brake, and if I think I can make it be "that guy" that more or less runs the red...

Really? That's what you learned? :roll:
Did you bother to check your mirror before you jumped on the binders to see if anyone was about to run over you from the rear?
Consider learning this. Practice your fuc king panic stops in a safe environment.

edited to add.

"make sure you use the breaks equally"

Come on, what the he!!? Most of your braking power is in the front brake, USE THEM ACCORDINGLY. No wonder so **** many people are falling down and running into things.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a woman stop on a dime in the rain with a yellow light. Locked the back and rode the skid around her, let it off and kept going after seeing that it just wouldn't stop short enough (it was an off-center intersection with no cross traffic). Glad you didn't have a car in front of you like I did.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have yet to find a car I couldn't out-brake, wet or dry ... assuming I'm following at a safe distance. My funnest intersection moment was a car crossing the intersection on the red when I had the green, they realized their mistake, slammed on the brakes and came to a dead stop right in front of my lane ... hard on the brakes, release, swerve, carry on, clean shorts, drink beer!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you bother to check your mirror before you jumped on the binders to see if anyone was about to run over you from the rear?
Consider learning this. Practice your fuc king panic stops in a safe environment.

edited to add.

Come on, what the he!!? Most of your braking power is in the front brake, USE THEM ACCORDINGLY. No wonder so **** many people are falling down and running into things.
Yea I checked behind me (there was no one), otherwise I wouldn't have bothered stopping, and I've spent several afternoons practicing stops, just sorta happened in an odd way this morning.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Grooved pavement and you want to do a panic stop? No, no, no, no, no way in **** would I have tried that stunt.

·
Registered
619 Posts

edited to add.

i was just telling the newbie to use them equally, that way he doesn't lock up the front and smash his bike to pieces. when he gets better...he can use more front, idiot....

·
Registered
274 Posts
If I think there's even a chance that I would get hit or lock up, I speed up and go. Assuming no one is in front of me that is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a woman stop on a dime in the rain with a yellow light. Locked the back and rode the skid around her, let it off and kept going after seeing that it just wouldn't stop short enough (it was an off-center intersection with no cross traffic). Glad you didn't have a car in front of you like I did.

regardless of how short of a stop ANYBODY makes, why the **** you riding her bumper? this is my 2nd biggest pet peeve of driving. If you are too close to stop properly in an emergency, you are too close ----> .

Biggest pet peeve is people crossing the double yellow around turns. Head on collision waiting to happen.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
i was just telling the newbie to use them equally, that way he doesn't lock up the front and smash his bike to pieces. when he gets better...he can use more front, idiot....

Now, there is an intelligent response. Thanks for proving what I suspected. :(

·
Registered
423 Posts

edited to add.

Most people can only hope and dream that one day they will be............"The Perfect Rider"

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Most people can only hope and dream that one day they will be............"The Perfect Rider"
:shock: It's not that difficult...been one for well over 50 years. :grin:

·
Registered
211 Posts
regardless of how short of a stop ANYBODY makes, why the **** you riding her bumper? this is my 2nd biggest pet peeve of driving. If you are too close to stop properly in an emergency, you are too close ----> .

Biggest pet peeve is people crossing the double yellow around turns. Head on collision waiting to happen.
Alright, I can see I have to draw a pic here. Wasn't riding the bumper. As soon as the light turned yellow, she skidded to a stop, it had just started raining and it was about 35-40 degrees out and I had someone riding my back end. She was sliding, I saw her start to go sideways, I hit the rear brakes and steered clear into the turn lane and when I got around and yet it was still yellow, I went through. Clear?

Now that I calm down, I'll try it this way. I ride all year 'round, even when the snow is piled at the garage, I just dig it out. Been that way for 25 years of riding (and before that bicycles) I think I know what I'm doing and yes, there are times when you have little to no control. This was one of those times, had someone coming from behind me, someone on their phone mind you panic stopping for no reason in front and no real way out. I'd say I came up with a solution, 'cause here it is, 10 years later and I still got the passion, fire and still dump free. I don't need arm chair, button pushing riding lessons from no one, I think I got it covered, but thanks for running with a little info.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
:shock: It's not that difficult...been one for well over 50 years. :grin:
I'm right there with ya, but it's only been 43 years for me.

People don't have to be "perfect" riders, like Sue and I. I'd be happy if they just tried for "good". ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention the proper response when locking up the rear brake. It is better to ride it out until you're stopped, but if your bike is still straightened out you may let off the rear brake and reapply. Do not let off the rear brake if the bike has gone a little sideways on you, it's a good recipe for a highside.

Carry on. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts

edited to add.

Now, there is an intelligent response. Thanks for proving what I suspected. :(

all i was trying to do was help the new guy out...and then grumpy gramps (you) gets on here. It was an intelligent response because i don't want a new guy to lock up his front wheel, which is much harder to handle than locking up the rear. Maybe you would know this if you would get off your computer and ride. And save the "i've been riding longer than you have been alive" story. i'm sorry you are to immature to understand a good response. I have to admit...you do sound really tough by your posts...which i'm sure is what you are going for. :roll:

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention the proper response when locking up the rear brake. It is better to ride it out until you're stopped, but if your bike is still straightened out you may let off the rear brake and reapply. Do not let off the rear brake if the bike has gone a little sideways on you, it's a good recipe for a highside.

Carry on. :)
:shock: Yes. Thank you. But perhaps you should have started out your post with, "Boys! Boys! Quit fighting, sit down, shut up and listen to me!" :lol:
You always bring excellent points to the table. :grin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts