Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I keep my motorcycle tucked away in a garage most of the time. However, be it on a road trip or just stopping off at a local restaurant, I'm a bit edgy relying solely on the fork lock when parked outside.

One of my previous cycles had a simple u-lock holder welded onto the frame by the original owner to hold the lock while riding--practical but somewhat unaesthetic and even a bit dangerous (it was right behind the front wheel and would impact the splash guard on severe bumps).

My question to those who lock their bikes is twofold: what do you use and how do you carry it while driving?

Thanks for your input.

oz

·
Registered
512 Posts
Snooze said:
I seldom lock my bike but when I do it's just the fork lock.
Yup, same here... you kind of just have to forget about it when you're out, I figure thats why I have insurance... besides, not to many people are after our bikes anyway, They want to steal Sports bike, Harleys, and custom choppers...

·
Registered
40 Posts
My steering lock works fine on my ACE. The one on my Vulcan sticks, and I was afraid it would stick in the locked position and I wouldn't be able to ride, so I bought a brake disc lock.

A real determined thief could just unbolt the front tire, but it does add some protection. It would be so quick and easy for someone to roll an unlocked bike on a trailer and be gone in under a minute.

·
Registered
512 Posts
caster said:
It would be so quick and easy for someone to roll an unlocked bike on a trailer and be gone in under a minute.
it would be just as quick, if 3 or 4 guys (or two really big ones) walked over and pick up your locked bike and stuck it in the back of a truck and drove away...

I'm not saying don't lock it, but if some one wants it, they're going to get it...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Xodus said:
I'm not saying don't lock it, but if some one wants it, they're going to get it...
Indeed. I'm not really worried about that--someone putting in the effort will surely go for a bike other than mine.

My concern is mainly focused on the "casual" thief and the irritating vandal who might indulge in the simple joys of moving it around, that the fork lock affords.

Insurance is a bit odd around these parts... You can go for simple responsibility insurance (which is dirt cheap and only covers damages you might inflict on others), collision (also covers damage to your bike in an accident) and finally there's full coverage (theft, vandalism etc.). That last option provides all the peace of mind I'd like, but it's simply ridiculous in my case--seeing that I got an '83 in part because of it's low cost, paying 40% of the bike's cost a year to get that insurance really doesn't seem reasonable.

Thus, I'll put the cash aside in the event of any unfortunate occurrence but in the meantime I'd like to minimize the likelihood of such--hence, the inquiry regarding locks :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

oz

·
Registered
37 Posts
In Australia almost everyone uses disc locks. Ya just gotta remember it's on the disc before you ride off. A reminder "leash" is often used, but I just put down my pillion peg when I use the lock.

Some have bulit in audible alarms that are really loud.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I just use the fork lock when stopping for lunch or a few hours etc.

I use a cable lock for overnight parking and keep it covered.

I don't worry about it much -- like stated above, this bikes are in very little demand for theft....there is no telling what a casual thief or vandal would do with cable lock, but I am sure it is a rare event in the grand scheme of things.

Just like your home, try to make your bike harder to steal than the next closest bike. :wink:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,272 Posts
It would be so quick and easy for someone to roll an unlocked bike on a trailer and be gone in under a minute.
it would be just as quick, if 3 or 4 guys (or two really big ones) walked over and pick up your locked bike and stuck it in the back of a truck and drove away...
No, it wouldn't. I've yet to see a "group" of 3-4 guys who could quickly pick up 600 lbs of anything and easily get it in the back of a pickup. :D
But I agree that there isn't a practical yet easy way to secure a motorcycle from a determined thief with the correct tools at his/her disposal. That's why the fork lock is adequate for me -- it's plenty for dissuading foolish idiots.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I, too, am concerned when I'm on an overnighter. i may invest in a brake lock.

For short stops though, I feel if someone wants my bike that bad - to circumvent the fork lock, potentially get burned by the still cooling exhaust, receive a hernia from lifting it - then have at it! :lol:

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
ozma said:
Greetings,

I keep my motorcycle tucked away in a garage most of the time. However, be it on a road trip or just stopping off at a local restaurant, I'm a bit edgy relying solely on the fork lock when parked outside.

One of my previous cycles had a simple u-lock holder welded onto the frame by the original owner to hold the lock while riding--practical but somewhat unaesthetic and even a bit dangerous (it was right behind the front wheel and would impact the splash guard on severe bumps).

My question to those who lock their bikes is twofold: what do you use and how do you carry it while driving?

Thanks for your input.

oz
Insurance and an accessories rider. For $300 for full coverage and $2500 worth of addons, I simply don't have time or energy for heroic measures to protect a hunk of metal and plastic that I can replace in 10 minutes with a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you own a late model Honda they have Engine Imobilizers.

I read a report recently that stated that no Honda's with these fitted have ever been stolen in Australia.

If you were wondering, yes my V Star also has an imobilizer. :D

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Well, since you have an engine guard on the front of your bike, why not loop a cable betwen it and the front wheel? You could store it in your saddle bags when not used.

I don't use anything with the Valk. I think the size of the bike is enough to scare off most people.

At most, I would lock the forks on my Spirit. But never for a "quick stop". Only an overnight stay at a hotel/motel.

Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just about anytime I go out anyway, I just use the fork lock... Besides, Who would steal a 2003 Shadow that is parked in the middle of 5 to 8 Harleys? My ban ks says they will go for the newer(but not nicer in my opinion) harleys instead of my spirit :)

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,386 Posts
When I first had the Shadow I had a brake disc lock which was a bloody nuisance because I kept forgetting it was there.

Nowadays I don't bother to lock it. Pushing a stock 1100 Shadow is bad enough (unless you are Big Al in which case you just pick it up in one hand :)) but try it with a chopperkit fitted. It takes ages to manouvre around with those long forks.

I worry more about some ******* just knocking it over out of spite.

Collector

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If it makes you any more comfortable I believe the Insurance Institute's figures show that Honda cruisers are about as undesirable to thieves as any bike out there.

That said, I have a small motion sensor alarm gadget that I can use as a wheel lock. I don't worry about someone stealing the bike as much as I do about vandels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

Collector said:
When I first had the Shadow I had a brake disc lock which was a bloody nuisance because I kept forgetting it was there.
Heh. Just getting in from a bit of shopping and, after seeing the size and cost of cable locks but before reading your post, I settled on a brake disc lock.

I'm going to try and get into the habit of putting in on and, more importantly, taking it off... It's the ugliest fluorescent green there is, so hopefully it'll catch my eye should I forget it.

Will also try to flock with Harley's or other bikes if any are around, as others have suggested, though I myself am sometimes a bit intimidated by their burly owners watching me park ;-)

oz

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,272 Posts
I'm going to try and get into the habit of putting in on and, more importantly, taking it off... It's the ugliest fluorescent green there is, so hopefully it'll catch my eye should I forget it.
Attach some brightly colored string that you can loop onto your clutch lever -- and make it a habit to loop it on whenever you use the lock.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Xodus said:
Snooze said:
... besides, not to many people are after our bikes anyway, They want to steal Sports bike, Harleys, and custom choppers...
Bingo. 9 times out of ten, a bike (or auto for that matter) is stolen because the parts market is 'hot' for it - literally. Harleys and sportbikes are always gonna need parts because of the numbers of Harleys out there and the frequency with which squids put their bikes down. Honda cruisers are a tiny, tiny fraction of the market so hardly anyone looks at them twice as a target. Hence - the low-low insurance rates compared to other bikes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.