Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an '07 Shadow Spirit VT750DC in April. I put over 1000 miles on it already. On the highway above 65 it seems to be wound kinda high (rpm's). I looked all over and can not find any info on the rpm range for speeds. I did find that the rev limiter kicks in at 63k. Would an 840 mile (one way ohio to florida) trip be something the bike can handle? The current budget does not allow for a sprocket change. I have plenty of riding experience but this is the first v twin i have had. I dont know what kind of rpm's the motor can handle. I dont want to float the valves or damage the motor that far from home. The trip would be on the interstate at around 70-75 most of the time. The bike is in great shape mechanicaly and cosmeticaly. I have done the 7 & 8k scheduled maintaince as well as gone over everything.

Thanks for any help.
Joe

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Are you going to do the ride in one day or two?
The 750 can take it and if you stay near the speed limit it'll be more relaxing. Suggest at least a cramp buster or throttle lock to make the trip more enjoyable.

Just a heads up, I passed through Virginia two weeks ago on Rt 81 and counted about 15 cars pulled over by the revenue officers. All the other states from Florida to NY had maybe 2-3 speed traps each.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My brother has a spirit 750 and he just made the trek from NW PA to Roanoke VA and has done this twice with of course return trips, and with the bike packed. He complains about the rpm's as well, He plans on the sprocket change in the future. But he says it does just fine, however I have a vt500 and I would not do it even though it is a 6 speed at 60mph it feels wound up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im shooting for one day down for a wedding, staying thw night then one day back. I also passed through Virginia two weeks ago in a cage headed to South Carolina. Saw the same thing on 64 and 77. Thanks for the reply. Good to know someone else did it on a 750.

·
Registered
457 Posts
While the bike is certainly capable of handling the trip, that is a lot of miles to travel in one day. The most I've ever done in one day on my 750 is 400 miles and I was worn out. Plus, if I read your post correctly, you plan on turning around and doing it all over again in a day or so.
While your 750 can handle the miles, you need to be sure you can as well.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The bike will be fine. It's made to cruise. I'd find a way to get the sprocket change done tho. Especially on a long trip. It's well worth it.

I'm planning a trip to Austin in a few months. That's 377 miles one way. About 6 hours away. Normally from what I've read that you should try to limit your riding to 6-8 hours a day. It'll take it's toll on ya.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Took my VLX 600 to Mississippi from Georgia and back. It did amazing.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
9 hours Ft.Lauderdale-Waycross ~ Mostly on I-95 keeping up with traffic, I averaged 60MPH & 50MPG coming home from my Florida Zig-Zag trip through my "Old Stomping Grounds" Tour last year...
I`m running Stock gears...
41 on the rear don`t seem to be winding too tight...
BUT some like the 38 tooth rear gear...
I`m going to Sturgis next month, 1800 miles out, then 1800 back...
IF I had a 38 I MIGHT Try it and see if I like the new gearing...
BUT I don`t,
Dennis
Sturgis2011

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
While the bike is certainly capable of handling the trip, that is a lot of miles to travel in one day. The most I've ever done in one day on my 750 is 400 miles and I was worn out. Plus, if I read your post correctly, you plan on turning around and doing it all over again in a day or so.
While your 750 can handle the miles, you need to be sure you can as well.
Just my two cents.
+1^^^ Bike should make it just fine.... that's a lot of miles each direction though on a light bike, doable, but should be quite the butt buster!! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Took my VLX 600 to Mississippi from Georgia and back. It did amazing.

This is totally off topic. But on your 600, did you mount your bags with supports? If you did what supports did you get? I just got a set of throw overs and i'm having problems with the center piece fitting under the seat.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Yep! Bike will be fine. It’s a Honda. You’re hearing the Honda “whine.” At normal speeds (55 to 75 highway speeds) it may sound like it’s about to blow up but...Honda “whine.” And it sounds like by the time this trip is over...you will have a louder “whine” than the bike. :lol:
And yes. Bigger bikes are more comfortable for longer trips just like bigger cars are more comfortable for longer trips. But can the bike make it? Sure! I rode a 650 Triumph from Kansas to California and back. :-D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Done over 350 miles one way on a one day turn around a couple of times.

Traveled the roads at 75 and 80. Only thing I noticed was at 80 there is not a tremendous amount of umph left for quick acceleration. Have had the Spirit on Interstates with no trouble.

Yes you have to accept it is not a BIG Bike. My Spirit is not my "X". The wife has no trouble traveling all day on the Spirit with me on the "X".

I would have no hesitation to jump on the 750 and start cross country and expect nothing less than having a blast.

Many miles over 400 a day is gonna be pushing it if you are planning on having a fun trip .....

I have never had an issue with whine. If you want whine get a Rebel up to around 80 ....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just did a trip up the Dragon, from New Orleans it's about 638 one way and 11.5 hours. I do have a 38 sprocket but bike handled it just fine. Road around up there for a couple of days and one more day back home. My tailbone on the other was screaming at me!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have a 39T sprocket I'd be willing to let go. Didn't think I liked the 38T at first but I got used to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My dad has a 05 aero, and i have a 04, aero we did last year, on several occasions 500+ mile trips in one day, thai year we rode from nc to gatlinburg tenn, then did the dragon and cheerokee run, and back

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to do a world tour on a 750.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Okay, this is a "ditto" post, and there oughtta be rules against it . .. :), but yeah, the bike will be fine. My tail would be exhausted, and I would be burned and wishing I'd done a sprocket change. Lotsa people ride 750s, unmodified, across country to Sturgis every year. Good luck, you should have a ball and some great stories to tell.
It's always only the ride that counts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My wife has followed me across country twice now on her Shadow Aero 750 she kept up no problem at all we ran 80 on the superslab and everything under that including 25 on the Tail of the Dragon. The 750 is a very capable ride.

Here are a few of her on the Dragon. This is on her 04, she has a 07 in pearl white now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm not saying 840 in a day can't be done but I wouldn't do it.

Plus, I can't imagine the wedding being enjoyable after a ride like that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts