Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll be honest, speaking from the 24 year old standpoint, I can say that's probably the issue with me. I feel a more powerful engine vibrates less, therefore, giving me less butt-pressure and leg sores. My back's usually fine from the trip, it's always my butt and thighs, and I blame it on the vibration from a smaller engine buzzing from working harder...

My idea is a "stronger" machine is better for it, not necessarily larger.
I've been thinking about rider comfort. I wonder if it's vibration or rider position (standard vs cruiser style). I borrowed a Yamaha V-Star 1100 last month and my legs were sore which seemed to come from rider position and wind resistance. I'm off to search the forums.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a VLX and am planning a 600 mile round trip to go spend a few days with my daughter at school in the next few weeks. I wish my bike had a little more torque and a fifth gear, but what the hell? I sat next to a friend of mine yesterday while he was on his Harley fatboy and thought how his bike really wasn't much different in overall size than mine. Sure it has more engine, but overall it just wasn't much different from where I was sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
In the 59thousand miles I've put on my vlx,,,I never thought of it as little, I've poked along back roads/state roads, and have cruised the interstates at 87 mph. The vlx will do the job. It's not a rocket, it's a cruiser. It is fine.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
+ for sure Old Dad.
I've run mine at 75mph for long stretches. Little buzzy but I wear ear plugs on any ride not local so it doesn't bother me much. What does get me on longer rides is the vibration in the handle bars. Left hand can go numb. I'm changing the grips at some point and going with heavier weights to see if that helps. Made a world of difference on my Nighthawk 250.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+ for sure Old Dad.
I've run mine at 75mph for long stretches. Little buzzy but I wear ear plugs on any ride not local so it doesn't bother me much. What does get me on longer rides is the vibration in the handle bars. Left hand can go numb. I'm changing the grips at some point and going with heavier weights to see if that helps. Made a world of difference on my Nighthawk 250.
A bigger (diameter) handgrip helps with my hands going numb. I swapped out the stock grips on an ATV with thicker ones and it really helps with the numbness.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
While we're still on the subject, I just came back from three days of riding and two days of camping (684 miles total) in and through the Shenandoah Nation Forest / Skyline Drive, all on my widdle itty bitty VLX. :-D

It ran like a charm on the blue roads, hills, and interstates, fully loaded with me and all my camping gear. She done good. 8)

·
Registered
542 Posts
While we're still on the subject, I just came back from three days of riding and two days of camping (684 miles total) in and through the Shenandoah Nation Forest / Skyline Drive, all on my widdle itty bitty VLX. :-D

It ran like a charm on the blue roads, hills, and interstates, fully loaded with me and all my camping gear. She done good. 8)
Man I love reading this!!....you give us a trip report complete with pictures of that little ole bike :D

I got to take my oldest daughter for a ride today. I figure if it can carry us it should carry me and all my gear anywhere I want to go!
ImageUploadedByMO Free1349030477.735381.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
+ for sure Old Dad.
you mean I've been supposed to have been holding on:shock:;)

I've done the dragon on mine,,run the roads around Boone NC several times a year. Never been disappointed.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Old Dad....we should meet up some time. I'm in Mooresville down near Charlotte. Where abouts are you in Carolina?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Totally would want to pick your brain on how you packed for your camping trip! This is something I've been itching to do. I'm in MD just a 1.5hr ride from Shenandoah NP.

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
When I was packing for the 600 mile trip and a month later for the 2000 mile run, I looked up on google "How to pack for a motorcycle trip" Packed like it said and strapped on bag to the passenger seat and used that as a back rest. Really worked pretty well. Packing a tent is not something I've done. Holiday Inn is my idea of camping.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
UPDATE in case y'all are interested. Atlanta to Orlando was Monday, then Orlando to Atlanta yesterday. 11 hours down, 12.5 hours back because we went through Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach on the way back. VLX ran like a champ all the way there and back.

Some observations:

Don't know what I'd do without the 41T rear sprocket. IMO this is a mandatory mod if you plan to log any significant highway miles.
The memphis shades "top gun" sport shield just blasted the wind into my face and gave me a headache from helmet shake, so I rode back home without it. Much nicer.
Keep advil in a tank bag and take it proactively - a nice cure for sore butt and back.
5 hour energy really do what they say, and then some. Take on an empty stomach and no drowsiness for the rest of the day.
Stick to back roads and <= 65mph for a really nice ride. TIP: try and find people who share your speed. 75 is not much fun; 60-65 is perfect.
Use those passenger pegs to change up your riding position and weight distribution. Feet on the rear pegs and leaning into the wind, taking the stress of the hands/arms, almost like a sport bike. When that gets old, feet back out front. Cruisers are awesome.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Totally would want to pick your brain on how you packed for your camping trip! This is something I've been itching to do. I'm in MD just a 1.5hr ride from Shenandoah NP.

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm so sorry I missed this when you first posted.

Go for it! If you like the mountains, the forests, and some nice easy riding with endless woodland scenery goodness, you can hardly do better.

I travel very light. I took this pic on the morning I left for Skyline Drive...

My packing arrangement: A Kuryakin Ultra Tour bag, that big black thing on the back, is more than big enough for all the loose stuff, as my saddle bags don't hold much.
On the pillion, a small tent in the red case and under that, a warm sleeping bag wrapped in plastic...It was raining that morning...which accounts for almost half the bulk.
Any loose items that I want quick access to go in the Cortech Super-Mini tank bag which also has a clear map case on it top. (Clear, but not really waterproof.)

That's about it. The tent and sleeping bag are strapped on with ROK straps. I'm a big fan of ROK straps for securing my gear.

The sleeping bag is always the largest single item. If I'm absolutely sure that the overnight temps are going to be comfortably warm, I'll take a much small felt sleeping sack instead. I spent one night several years ago freezing my ass off on a late summer trip because I assumed hot days always meant warm nights. That's one lesson I ain't never forgot. :shock:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Really, no bike is too small.

My brother-in-law did an 11 hour one way ride to the Honda Rebel meet on his 250 Rebel.

Then several days later again non-stop coming home 11 hours.

He has the seat beads on the bike and said it helped tremendously.

Have fun!

God bless!!

Michael

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe a Shadow 1100, but I mentioned a Bonneville as my reference of a superbike of its day (early 70s) when it had 49 hp compared to today's 56.

My main point, though, was that it was perfectly acceptable to take a 250cc enduro on a long trip then, just as it is today to take a 34hp KLR650 to Tierra del Fuego. Somehow power and size has for some come to be an indicator of suitability for long-distance travel. It was not back in the day and it isn't for some adventure riders today so I don't understand why the belief has become so ingrained.

Unless you kiddies are getting soft.:mrgreen:
Yeah, I did a couple long rides on my 250 ninja with homemade racks a couple years back when I was working in Richmond. First trip was to Philly and back on 95/495 the whole way. No issues there. The thing topped out just under 90mph.
The second trip was Richmond through Charlotte to 250 up through the blue ridge mountains and the valley to Pittsburgh. The 250 did well. Kit wasn't a rocket up some of those hills, but always made it up and was ready for the next one.

When going through the mountains, don't pass up ANY gas station!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, everything is about ego. I just got a 2005 VlXCD, it's just a great bike! I'm coming from an AERO.750, there's no comparison, they are two different bikes. I missed the greatness of the power, but VLX600CD is good enough
.I pushed it to 75 almost 80, did a great job, every rider complaint about something, not all human being are the same. No doubt about, haply with my VLX..... GREAT BIKE!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts