Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long Ride Coming- T-Minus-11 days

Taking a trip across these great United States of America in a couple weeks, I`ve been researching fer a spell...
This is a good list to follow, Have you come across anything you would like to add to the list???
33 Secrets For Smart Touring

Thanks,
Dennis

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I`ve about disregarded 31 things on the list... ;) LOL ;)
A rolled up sleeping bag inside my dufflebag makes fer longer interstate travel time, I tie it on soas to be my backrest...
The "Highway pegs" are another useful item, I have several different locations/positions fer the feet, it is good to get the change...
I`ve fabricated a "throttlebosslike" fixture with a very LARGE Ziptie, that I`ve beena trying out this past week, I`m gonna like the relief it gives...
I`ve added an extra set of saddlebags, I`ll throw over the mounted ones, soas NOT to hafta carry luggage...
Rolled clothing packs better than folded, I`ll be sure to turn my underwear inside out after two days, then discard after the forth day soas to stay fresh, and not have laundry to do until I get there too ~ One set will make the trip TO Sturgis thattaway...
Magnets to hold the interstate "routes plan" to the fuel tank, I`ll print it off in BIG letters so I don`t hafta pull out the road atlas/map...(This can cause a BIG distraction IF not folded correctly)
A water bottle inside my jacket filled with frozen water, with the three foot "straw" fastened to the collar will allow me to save time from stopping to rehydrate...
NOW I gotta fashion a way to get rid of the "used water" soas NOT to splash it onto the riders on the trip with me...
Thanks keep them coming,
Dennis
T-minus-11 days

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
******Have you made distance runs with your running partners before? ********
Yes, and no...
A couple are fellow ABATE of GA members, we`ve ridden together, several times, but one of the guys is new to the crowd, he and I are gonna ride together before the trip, so as to get signals and proceedure down pat...
**** As far as the map thing goes, I always liked to stop and get off the bike to look at maps. ****
Yeah, I kinda get tangled in the map as it unfolds in the wind, sometimes...
BUT the route info I stick on the tank with magnets will just be reminder of upcoming interstate changes in which towns such as I-75 Chatnooga, I-24 - I-64 etc...in BIG print...
Got it memorized mostly, anyhow...
***Nothing worse than having to pee while riding, so I limit how much I drink.***
Leathered up, I`ll sweat most of it out, BUT I aughtta hook up a drain, huh... :)
Naah, we ain`t on no marathon run, we`re enjoying the ride... ;)
Thanks fer the tips...
Keep `em coming,
Dennis
T-Minus-10 Days

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, I got one of the waterproof military duffles, it got straps like a backpack and a tote handle too, about three feet long by 20" round......I seen sgt. Pusser toting the same bag yesterday whilst watching Walking Tall...
I used it my last 1200+ miler, tied on as my backrest with sleepingbag, and other stuff inside...
It done good as support also...

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I`m not normally an interstate traveler, (EXCEPT to get where I`m going quicker) I`d rather do federal highways and state roads...
BUT we gotta make some good time going there also...
Don`tchya know that 14 days away from home will make me ready to get back in my bed, fer sure!!!

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As the clock ticks away the days, I`m thinking of more things...
Y`all are a big help on this matter, PLEASE keep me informed with your knowledge and experience...
"Back in the day" I would load up, ride from Sebring FL to Valosta GA to meet up with Street Choppers ~ "Run to the Sun" each year and Ride to Daytona, before it was called Bike week...
SO I`ve got a few ideas on what and how much to carry...
I started this thread to give me your "GO LIST"...
Keep it coming,
Thanks,
Dennis
T -9

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.