Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this series was ever mentioned here before. One helluva show.:D

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait until you see Long Way Down! fantastic series! Charlie just did another one this year where he went across Canada too... can't remember the title but it is 4 episodes i think... can't wait to see it!
I just ordered every one they made. These are pretty extraordinary.
One of those you wish you could try . . . If you've never seen it, it will blow you away.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Freaking AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting this!

Who knew Ewan McGregor was so cool?

I told the wife that if she ever divorces me this is how I'll spend my remaining years, and good luck with the alimony. She laughed and said "That's fine I make more than you anyway." hehe

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I rented all the DVD's for Long Way Round. Loved it.
Then I rented all the DVD's for Long Way Down. Loved it, too.
I even read the books. :grin:
Then I rented the DVD for Race to Dakar with Charlie Boorman. Wow.

All great stuff.

Charlie just did another one this year where he went across Canada too
I didn't know that. Cool. :cool:
Thanks for the heads-up.

I just found more info about it here Charley Boorman's Extreme Frontiers website

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freaking AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting this!

Who knew Ewan McGregor was so cool?

. . .
Glad you liked it, John. I was also surprised to see what kind of person Ewan McGregor really is.

Perhaps there's a lesson there. People tend to be too quick to pull the trigger when they assess someone else, especially when they don't really know them at all.

Right now, I'm thinking only of the people on this forum . . . maybe possible?

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Glad you liked it, John. I was also surprised to see what kind of person Ewan McGregor really is.

Perhaps there's a lesson there. People tend to be too quick to pull the trigger when they assess someone else, especially when they don't really know them at all.

Right now, I'm thinking only of the people on this forum . . . maybe possible?
That's why I don't hold internet grudges. TBH, I don't hold real life grudges very well either, except extreme cases.

BTW, watched the first 6 episodes. Now 3AM. I'm sure I'll be pushing it to try and stay in bed till 9-ish. Oh well LOL.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Mind you they did have a lot of baby sitters..

bodyguards, fixers, support vehicles, camera crew, hotels and prearranged stop off points..if you put the right words in your search engine you will find people who did it without support.

Which is what you would have to do.

Want a copy of my book?

John.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Mind you they did have a lot of baby sitters..

bodyguards, fixers, support vehicles, camera crew, hotels and prearranged stop off points..if you put the right words in your search engine you will find people who did it without support.

Which is what you would have to do.

Want a copy of my book?

John.
Yeah I noticed that it wasn't a small footprint kind of thing. There is some guy who went all the way around the world under his own power, can't recall his name. THAT guy is a total bad*ss. Took him like 3 years or something.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Another rider . . .

I can't quite remember his name, but there was one guy who did something similar and I believe he had only one leg. It would've been maybe 15-20 years ago. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Oh. And I think he had no support other than his own courage . . .

Anyway, this is still one helluva road trip.

Off to the airport. Back next week . . .

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I remembered the name of the guy who did a long solo trip--not sure how far: Bob Barr? Ring a bell for the old-timers?
I'm not where I can look him up.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool stuff. I'll have to see if I can get this from Netflix. Thanks for posting it.
Most welcome. Wait 'til you get to the part where they stay overnight with a member of the Russian mob . . .
;-)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I read the books before watching them and it made the DVD even more enjoyable as you are in on the back story that the DVDs couldn't cover. Must get the Dakar one.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
To be fair, they didn't attempt to hide that they had a photographer and a support crew along, both of which were quite visible during the series. I would guess that the people who insure their careers would have not even let them make an attempt at their dream trip on their own. And they never claimed to be the first either.

It was just something they really wanted to do.

And they produced a damn interesting and watchable series of their adventure while they were at it. Good for them. :-D

A funny aside: I wonder if KTM (who denied them their motorcycles because an expert said they weren't up to the trip) felt like the the people at M&M's when they denied permission to use their candy in ET, The Extra-Terrestrial. Reese's Pieces said fine and their sales skyrocketed as a result...One of the biggest marketing screw-ups ever.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be fair, they didn't attempt to hide that they had a photographer and a support crew along, both of which were quite visible during the series. I would guess that the people who insure their careers would have not even let them make an attempt at their dream trip on their own. And they never claimed to be the first either.

It was just something they really wanted to do.

And they produced a damn interesting and watchable series of their adventure while they were at it. Good for them. :-D

A funny aside: I wonder if KTM (who denied them their motorcycles because an expert said they weren't up to the trip) felt like the the people at M&M's when they denied permission to use their candy in ET, The Extra-Terrestrial. Reese's Pieces said fine and their sales skyrocketed as a result...One of the biggest marketing screw-ups ever.
Yeah. Bottom line is no one rode the bikes for 'em.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
I thought the same thing about KTM. I hope it taught them a lesson about being pansies and telling someone they won't be able to pull something off.

Seems like the surest way to ensure the success of someone is to tell them they can't do it. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.