Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still searching for the right bike. I came across this ad. It's been for sale a couple weeks and just lowered the price. The bike sounds really well taken care of, I just can't get over how few miles are on it. Can someone more experienced shed their opinion on this bike for sale? Should I check it out? Anything I should be weary of? Only bought a bike from reputable dealer before.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
265 Posts
If it were me, I'd go check it out. Make sure it starts easy - run it through all of the gears - run it up to highway speed and then BUY IT..

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,732 Posts
Low millage on a bike is not always a good thing but if it was stored with the fuel drained from the tank and carbs that would be a big plus. Only way to know is go ride it.

Reactions: longbeachgary1

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
697 Posts
Be slightly weary, at such low mileage there could be some unknowns such as carb boots becoming brittle. With a proper up to date VA inspection sticker it should be in decent riding shape. Owner seems to have done a decent refresh on a bike that has been sitting for a long time, with buying a sitting ride such as this there will always be unknowns and you should definitely check and verify all the work that the owner says has been performed. Check the DOT date codes on the tires and go up the ground from there checking over everything, check the front brake hose for cracking or dry rot, the listing says it’s technician owned and I would have some technical questions about fluids and such loaded ready to ask.

If this were me I’d offer $2000 and go from there, hand over the cash before you say how much it is you’re handing over and say “this is my offer” I personally find it’s harder for people to say no when they have a stack of cash in their hands.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im in the DC area.....in 2017 I bought an immaculate 2004 Shadow 750 for $2500 and that was at the high end of prices. When I traded it in on my AT they gave me $2000 for it and had it listed for $3400..no clue on what it actually sold for.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,480 Posts
I think the price is on the heavy side for a 20 year old VT600C, no matter the mileage.
My thoughts are along the same lines as @Froth as is the value.
An average of 120 miles a year seems far fetched unless it sat in storage for almost all its life so that rings true.
Buying a near museum piece that you plan to use as a daily rider be aware the radical change in value as you rack up the miles, perhaps not making it such a great investment.

Take a look here:

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
178 Posts
... hand over the cash before you say how much it is you’re handing over and say “this is my offer”..
This is pure genius. I'm going to use this tactic at the next opportunity, thanks Froth!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is seems high priced for a chain drive 600, jmo.
I've ridden a 600 (older though) and it was a slug compared to a 750 which is no rocket.ship either.
Just bought an low mileage 2009 vt750 spirit for $2900 and sold a 1991 Suzuki VX800, vtwin, shaft drive, 5 spd, 20k for $1500 but that's in the Boise ID market.
I'd pass and wait for something bigger to come along, unless you are OK with it's size, then $1900-$2000 max
jmo,
:)
Edit: surprised by it's value in my zip code:
:eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just read the actual ad that OP linked... technician owned, petcock diaphragm and old tires replaced, zero fuel issues, 60mpg and 2,400 miles? I think $3k is a reasonable asking price. A 600cc anything is not going to be a satisfying highway cruiser, though. But it would be a fantastic buy if most riding will be done under 55mph. IMHO

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
697 Posts
I just read the actual ad that OP linked... technician owned, petcock diaphragm and old tires replaced, zero fuel issues, 60mpg and 2,400 miles? I think $3k is a reasonable asking price. A 600cc anything is not going to be a satisfying highway cruiser, though. But it would be a fantastic buy if most riding will be done under 55mph. IMHO
Eh, I think 3k is a reach and is the end of the rainbow price, someone would really have to want that specific bike for $3k to me. Hell, I paid $1500 for an ‘07 spirit 750 with 13k miles that was meticulously maintained but fell over in the owners driveway, by all rights it should have been a $2k+ ride all day, a baseball size tank dent, a few scratches smaller than a quarter. Similar bikes were $3000+ at the time.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
754 Posts
To the OP: In Oct. 2018 I purchased a 2015 Shadow with only 1300 miles, Mustang studded seat, Mustang Sissy Bar Bag, Riverroad saddles, Memphis Shades windshield and Cobra chrome for only $4300. Do you see what only $1300 more would get you? Go and checkout your bike at Cycletrader as I feel that the $3k price is a bit high.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeh, I thought the same and posted it, except the highway speed limit where I live is 80mph, so everyone goes 87'ish a real stretch for anything under a 750.
:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep, my area highways are all 65mph or less. If I lived where it's 80mph....wow. I wouldn't consider any less than an 1100cc for that. I've been to 90mph once on my 750, and it did not feel good...wound out and skittery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A good-running 600cc Shadow will ride at 75+ all day with no problem. My 2007 has 106k miles on it, I ride it 80 or more almost on a daily basis. Sure, there's not a lot left to go from there, but it performs fine on the highway, you just have to know its limits and ride accordingly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts