Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal...

My sister lives in Germany, started dating this guy who rides motorcycles. He has a couple of Harleys (which, apparently, is a big deal in Germany?) and he has decided he wants to come to Sturgis 2017.

To be clear, he wants to RIDE to Sturgis 2017.

We started by looking into rentals. STUPID expensive! Approximately $4000 to rent one from Sioux Falls for Sturgis. Yowza!

Then, we briefly considered what it would take for him to ship one of his Germany bikes to the US. The paperwork alone was overwhelming, plus he wouldn't have the bike for months while it was in shipment. Add in the potential for serious damage, and by all appearances, it would cost about the same $4000 (minimum!?!)...Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

For $4000, you can PURCHASE a pretty decent motorcycle. Heck, you can sell it afterwards, recoup your money, and really make the trip cheap (you know, ignoring the plane ticket).

So, I have been tasked to find him a decent motorcycle in & around the Twin Cities. I have an approximate $5000 budget, it *HAS* to be HD/Indian/Victory (American Manufacturer, his personal requirement because this is, essentially, a once-in-a-lifetime bucket list trip) and it has to be good enough to make it to Sturgis and back with minimal trouble (which rules out a $5000 HD! :lol: )

We have found some late-'90's to mid-2000's Victory bikes that fit the requirements. I'm wondering if anybody on the forums has some experience with something like this.

05 Victory 50th yr Anniversary Edition tour cruiser

It *LOOKS* really nice, and I'm probably going to go look at it sometime this week (you know, in between work, school, dog, house, and everything else--all I've gots is free time these days).

Also, why do people struggle so badly with pictures on Craigslist? obligatory sideways & cropped photo:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I don't really know anything about Victory bikes myself. But you can easily find a really nice Sportster in that price range. Especially this time of year.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Victory makes nice bikes....neighbor has 3. I believe their quality has improved in the last 10 years; at least: according to C.J.

And @Spool is correct.... it's the right time of the year to buy.

But then, I must respectfully disagree.....
Unless your brother-in-law is a smaller, flexible, agile younger guy, the Sportster would be my last choice to ride very far on!
Especially for a once-in-a-lifetime Bucket List ride.

Just my opinion!

-Gnarly

(sarcasm: just another free service we provide)

·
Premium Member
8,682 Posts
If it's anything like the newer models it'll be good for 125+k miles with scheduled maintenance. Polaris doesn't tend to bolt together too much crap, so I'd be surprised if this one is the exception to the rule.

Saying that, I looked into this bike, read some reviews as I'm not familiar with this particular model, so.. I'm "Parroting" here - Rubber mounted floor boards and handlebar risers to cut vibration, stock seat is okay, not great, hydraulic lifters, self adjusting cam chains, 28.3" seat height, fuel injected. Rock solid and simple.. More Common issues reported seems to be difficulty finding neutral and it having a five speed tranny.. People tend to complain that they are left looking for a sixth gear. Most people love this bike, there's a dissenting few, but most reviews I read are positive.

So, a winner maybe, if it was properly maintained.. :D

I get between 7 and 10k out of a set of tires.. Others will tell you they get twice that much.. So, up-to-you.. Depending how much tread you have left, it might be worth asking about tire mileage / average life, with the mind to maybe consider spooning on some new rubber before heading out on a longer trip.

How's the lawyering coming along? Rocking those classes I hope!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's anything like the newer models it'll be good for 125+k miles with scheduled maintenance. Polaris doesn't tend to bolt together too much crap, so I'd be surprised if this one is the exception to the rule.

Saying that, I looked into this bike, read some reviews as I'm not familiar with this particular model, so.. I'm "Parroting" here - Rubber mounted floor boards and handlebar risers to cut vibration, stock seat is okay, not great, hydraulic lifters, self adjusting cam chains, 28.3" seat height, fuel injected. Rock solid and simple.. More Common issues reported seems to be difficulty finding neutral and it having a five speed tranny.. People tend to complain that they are left looking for a sixth gear. Most people love this bike, there's a dissenting few, but most reviews I read are positive.

So, a winner maybe, if it was properly maintained.. :D

I get between 7 and 10k out of a set of tires.. Others will tell you they get twice that much.. So, up-to-you.. Depending how much tread you have left, it might be worth asking about tire mileage / average life, with the mind to maybe consider spooning on some new rubber before heading out on a longer trip.
Kinda the same message I'm seeing, too. I've found a '99, owned by a dealer as his personal bike. It was one of the first bikes delivered when he opened his Victory dealership, so he kept it. 12k miles and looks nice in the pictures. It all sounds great, and at decent price. Going to look at it tomorrow, hopefully. One of the top items I'm going to check will be the date code on the tires.

Yeah, @Spool, he's about my size - 6'4" - and there's no possible way I would consider riding a Sporty from Minneapolis to Sturgis. I did it once with my VT750 and it's just not worth it. I figure the smallest HD that would work would be a Dyna, and that's just too expensive for anything decent. A cheap HD is a great way to spend a lot more money.

How's the lawyering coming along? Rocking those classes I hope!
It's midterms already. In all honesty, I think it's going pretty well, but I haven't had much time to stop & think about it. No kidding, it's a TON of reading.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, went to look at another one last night and we might have found something. It's a 1999 Victory V92. The owner was a small-town Polaris / Victory dealer from the mid-90's through the mid-2000's. He was a pilot dealer for Polaris and this was the FIRST Victory bike delivered to his dealership in 1998. Rather than sell it, he has kept it for himself. All work has been done by his staff and Polaris company trainers. All parts are OEM replacements. New tires, brakes, etc. A few bug splatters aside, this is one of the cleanest used bikes I have ever seen.

We are trying to move some money around and make an offer. Hopefully by the end of the month, I'll (sorta) have a second bike!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, money is being moved around. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up this weekend. I hope the weather holds so I can actually get out and ride it a little.

More pictures if/when I retrieve it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, at this point I'm committing to the 1999 V92. As long as someone doesn't snipe it from me before the money transfers, it will be mine.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Glad its working out. When I read your first post I was trying to figure out how he was going to ride from Germany to Sturgis on a bike,,,you get wet doing that!!!

Could not resist,,,good luck on the ride.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I have owned a 12 Road King, 14 Ultra Classic EG, 14 Heritage Softail and two Sportsters. I like the Sportsters the best for all around riding. I like the Road King so I bought a 14 Ultra Classic Electra glide , The Ultra was far too much bike for those who do a lot of around town riding, The Heritage was to damn hot on the thighs and a slug on the road. SO I bought a 12 EFI Sportster and decided to quit riding and buy a roadster.......Then I found another Sporty on CL and now have it. No EFI.....I like that I can adjust the mixture on the fly.

I would ride my 05 Sportster 1200 anywhere. 1200cc is plenty for cross country runs. Hell I rode a Shadow 1100 from San Diego to NJ. After Colorado into Kansas the ride was boring. But not uncomfortable. I would rather ride a Sportster than any 750 Twin long distances. It has more pull than my 1100s had. Its heavy and stable in cross winds, yet still can out pull a Road King. I have no interest in the Dynas (Unless they were on the FXR frame)

I would not discount a Sportster. I am on my second and there is no other bike I would buy and I bought them all in the last few years. I had issues with all of them except the Sportster. Not mechanical but lets face it a mechanical idiot like me can do a lot on that bike with a Wal Mart took kit and some Torx.

I rode a few Victorys but was afraid of the only dealer. They did not have a dedicated mechanic, Either that or going out of business (they sell used cars) as well as Polaris bikes.

I just never fell in love with the "pointy" styling of them and only one dealer who works on them. Independents don't even work on them much. The Polaris dealer in Wilmington NC dropped the Polaris bike line and stuck with the off road quads, Wilmington is a LOT bigger than Myrtle beach.

Then there is this

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Kinda hard to pass up a shop owned and maintained bike. Unless possibly it was a rental / test ride unit.
Sounds like you have recourse if something major goes wrong early for the new rider. Reputation and all.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOT IT!

It's sporting some old fuel and I think it's going to get some Seafoam treatment this week, but it's in my garage next to the Valk.

Took it around the block a little bit, but the tabs are expired, so I didn't go too far or too fast. The clutch is really grabby, going to take some getting used to. Having a heel shifter is going to be fun.

It's loud & blue, so it's a reasonable replacement for the VT750.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would ride my 05 Sportster 1200 anywhere. 1200cc is plenty for cross country runs.

I would not discount a Sportster.
I don't disagree with any part of this. However, IIRC, you're notably shorter than I am. My VT750 would've been perfectly fine for me, if only it were PHYSICALLY larger. For me, both the VT1100's and Sportster 1200's have the same issues I had with the 750.

Yes, it's totally doable, don't disagree one bit. But the Victory added a couple of inches of legroom comfort at, basically, the same price point. :)

Regardless, it's fun to ride around & really makes me miss the Shadow. I think I'm going to remove the windshield for the next few weeks, too, just to remember what it's like to ride wide-open!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Looks great JW, good luck with it. Love the blue! You keeping the Valk?
Yes, it's a second skoot for him, kinda. Long story, but it's his to keep exercised until family comes in from overseas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts