Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the local small shops offered me two new Michelin tires (front and back) balanced and mounted, including tax, for $440. Any thoughts on this? They also offered to do the same with Pirelli tires for $390. They tell me that the Michelin tire is most popular down here in Florida. Rides well in the rain they say. I have Kendra on right now but after 15,000 miles they are about gone.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got a 2000 750 ACE

·
Registered
62 Posts
on my shadow i use eather pirrelli or metzeler. myself personally would never use michelin. was one of the first sets i owned and they were horrible. both road and how long they lasted. but remember this, its all about preference. everyone has there favorites , alot of members will time in here pretty quick for more info

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
I've got just under $300 in a new set of Michelin commander IIs, tubes, and rims strips. After a lot of shopping, that was the best price I could find. I'll be doing the changing and balancing myself. The claims of twice the mileage, customer reviews, and word of mouth here on the forum convinced me to go in that direction.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
One of the local small shops offered me two new Michelin tires (front and back) balanced and mounted, including tax, for $440. Any thoughts on this? They also offered to do the same with Pirelli tires for $390. They tell me that the Michelin tire is most popular down here in Florida. Rides well in the rain they say. I have Kendra on right now but after 15,000 miles they are about gone.
Both are great prices installed depending upon the models. If the Pirelli's are MT 66's jump on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pirelli MT66

Just put a set on mine about a month ago. Tires, tubes, rim strips, dyna beads, installed $375
Tires were $115 rear, $83 front

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,154 Posts
Another vote for the Pirelli MT66. I have them on front and rear and they are great! They are (IMHO) the best bang for the buck out of all the flavors of motorcycle tires.

I've run Bridgestone G701/G702 (OEM tires when my Aero 750 was new) and got a record 16,000 miles out of them, and believe me, they were totally bald! :shock:

I made the mistake of going extremely cheap and getting Dunlop (Dung Flop) D404's on front and rear, and will NEVER make that mistake again! Seriously... I only got about 8500 miles out of them, and they too were bald! Worse yet, the front developed a very scary wobble at 40-45mph when you backed off the throttle! :shock: Like I said... Lesson learned... NEVER AGAIN!!! :evil:

I got the Pirelli MT66's front and rear at 25,182 miles (I just checked my paperwork/folder in the filing cabinet). My '07 Aero 750 now has 30,940 miles right now. So, after approx 5,700-some miles the Pirelli MT66's still look brand new, like you could pull them off my Aero, wipe them down with Armor All, and bundle them back up for resale, and nobody would know the difference! LOL...

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put perelli mt66's on my vt600. I absolutely love them. Dunlop was on their before the mt's <puke>. Best tire I've ever used and I've been on mich, Dunflop, and kendra.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't save much buying online so I'm going with the Pirelli tires. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Btw, which Pirrelli tire?

I've used almost all Metzeler 880's. Problem is that some 880 sizes are being discontinued. Like mines. The only Metzeler tire available in my size is the Metzeler 888's that supposedly supersedes the 880 .... that's not to my liking because the grooves are more like narrow slits. So much for brand loyalty. So in that sense it's better that you went with Pirelli so when replacement is due, you won't discover that your particular size tire isn't available any more, like Metzeler. Commander II, though, has been getting rave reviews this year. I think that's the most longest wearing tire too in comparison to Metzeler & Pirelli.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Btw, which Pirrelli tire?

I've used almost all Metzeler 880's. Problem is that some 880 sizes are being discontinued. Like mines. The only Metzeler tire available in my size is the Metzeler 888's that supposedly supersedes the 880 .... that's not to my liking because the grooves are more like narrow slits. So much for brand loyalty. So in that sense it's better that you went with Pirelli so when replacement is due, you won't discover that your particular size tire isn't available any more, like Metzeler. Commander II, though, has been getting rave reviews this year. I think that's the most longest wearing tire too in comparison to Metzeler & Pirelli.

I went from the Commander II Tires to 880 as over here in NZ the tire I wanted is not available in commander II but is in the 880... The 880 is better in the wet but looks like I will be way down on miles with the 880 at the same pressure, the importer says lift the pressure to get more miles so will see how that goes, but I don't know what I will do next set

I could import the commander II tires as they are available in the right size off shore.... but I am of two minds... good wet tire verses OK wet, dry they are much the same

or maybe try something different, A set lasts about a year normally but the 880 wont last that long.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The 880 is better in the wet but looks like I will be way down on miles with the 880 at the same pressure, the importer says lift the pressure to get more miles so will see how that goes, .... but the 880 wont last that long [otherwise].
That's the original controversy with the lackluster mileage on the Metzeler 880. Eventually riders concluded that the solution was to higher inflate the tires (around 40psi, plus or minus) which has proven to work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts