Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got unattached bags with my Shadow 750...and now I see why they were not attached. They require some "security bolts" like the one pictured here. Anyone have any idea where these might be found? There's no brand name on the bags unfortunetely...

Many thanks for any ideas...

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Isn’t that security screw just a longer screw/bolt that is needed due to the sissy bar or luggage rack? Looks like the ones on all Shadows with those accessories.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,886 Posts
Generally they are just longer bolts with spacers to hang them straight on the bike. I've found bolts at home depot to fit just fine. I'm sure you could fine a spacer of some sort there also. Take an original boot from the bike with you to match the threads. It may be necessary to run a tap through the bolt holes.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had those and the purpose was to just use a clip on the inside of the saddle bag to attach them to the bike. The bags were hard with locks so I guess you could call them security bolts but I think they are just what you need to attach your accessories? I had saddle bags and a sissy bar along with a rack if I wanted to use that. Those bolts should be a stock item somewhere? My stuff was all Honda factory made.

To late for me to look around but I'll try to track those bolts down for you tomorrow. I know what exactly I'm look for.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well,,, those do kind of look like the LeatherLyke bag mounts. Their website appears to be down. May have gone out of business, which would be a shame. I've had 3 sets of their bags and have no complaints..

Might be able to go to a hardware store and find 3 bushings/spacers of the correct diameters and heights.and stack them on a bolt. A larger Ace Hardware that has the chrome or stainless assortments of spacers and washers maybe.

If you can't find a work-around, I could turn some down on my lathe out of aluminum IF you have the dimensions you would need: length, inside diameter, outside diameter, width and depth of groove.

A pic of some leatherLyke bags, 6th picture here shows the mounts for a Vulcan:

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,439 Posts
Those are mounts for Edge brackets or LeatherLyke saddlebags. If you don't have the products that fit the mounts, standard length/stock bolts are readily available @ Ace or box stores otherwise these products are made from steel of some sort for strength and durability though my LeatherLyke on the exhaust side found a way to come loose and end up on the hot muffler near the end of my Spirit ownership. Got lucky and was able to patch it to perfection with Devcon epoxy w/o any touch up. I brought it to the new owners attention and he didn't even see it until I showed the repair from the inside.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,439 Posts
I believe they're not in business at the present.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts