Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So i’ve recently been converting my 83VT500 from bone stock to my own vision. It’s coming along pretty well so far but i can’t seem to find a good seat! I want something that’s tolerable to sit on but also looks great. I thought about a bobber seat but i just don’t like the springy look on the bottom. Any ideas on where to look? I’ll post a picture of the seat that i made myself for the time being.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
113 Posts
Unless you are looking for something super special, you could always reupholster one yourself.

Something like can get you started.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,695 Posts
The stock seat on my 500 was weathered and torn so i wasnt hesitant about carving it up. Once it was the shape i wanted it was just a matter of pulling some marine grade vinyl over it
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
113 Posts
My parents owned an upholstery shop growing up so we we did stuff like that all the time. As long as you dont want to get too fancy, and you have a decent seat base it is pretty easy.

The Super 77 is what we always used to adhere foam to itself, a base, or the cover. So you would just clean everything off your seat base, cut a piece of foam the way you want it, and spray both the base and the foam piece lightly, let them sit until they look slightly dry, usually around a minute, then press them together. You could keep adhering foam the same way if you wanted to stack it up, or carve like a slightly higher back portion. If you have an electric turkey carving knife they actually cut foam really well if they are sharp, if not a really sharp knife/razor works too.

Once you get the foam portion the way you want it, spray the foam top and the inside of the leather or vinyl with the Super 77, wait the minute or so, and press them together. After that you would want to start pulling any convex portions first so they dont rise up on you. So if you have a lip upwards on the back of the seat, you would flip it over, and about the middle of the convex portion give it a little tension left to right and put in a few staples, then pull it nice and firm the other direction and put in a few staples, then rotate it 90 degrees and do it again with a bit less pressure so you dont pull the cover straight over the convex portion.

Just make sure everything looks good and then start stapling around the rest of the underside, pulling a little to make sure nothing looks baggy or uneven. Once it is all stapled on you just trim off the excess and call it a day.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,030 Posts
I bought used seat for my 1983 750 to have to reshape it.
It turned out pretty nice since it was my first seat recover job. Easy too.

Here is a used factory seat for your vt500, and if you want, cut the rear half off to customize it.
I'm sure you can do a better recover job to that used seat than the one on there now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hello,
So i’ve recently been converting my 83VT500 from bone stock to my own vision. It’s coming along pretty well so far but i can’t seem to find a good seat! I want something that’s tolerable to sit on but also looks great. I thought about a bobber seat but i just don’t like the springy look on the bottom. Any ideas on where to look? I’ll post a picture of the seat that i made myself for the time being. View attachment 297846
It's difficult to recommend a seat without knowing what your budget is.
Typically most building this kind of bike have big dreams and no budget.
If that's not you, look into the current Honda 300 and 500 Rebels for a seat the looks like it will bolt right on to your bike.
Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Fuel tank

I'm sure seats like those are rare in the used market and quite pricey new.
Another seat that might be close to "bolt-on" is a seat from a Yamaha Bolt.
The Bolt has been around for a while and you might find a used seat on ebay:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

As far as a "Bobber" seat goes, nothing says you have to use the springs that come with it, as your bike still has the rear shocks.
jmo,
:D
Edit: Cheap solo seats on ebay:
bobber solo seat | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.