Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Bought an 85 honda shadow 700 and decided to sand it down and repaint it.
in the process of sanding the tank I found someone how dropped it and bondod over the hole.
dont trust welding the tank and not finding many options on ebay that arent trashed.

anybody have a tank from an old 700 they are parting out or anny ideas for a replacement tank?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,590 Posts
If it doesn't leak and you can finish the Bondo job and come out with a decent tank, I would do that.
My 1983 had a dent and I tried pulling it out but not with complete success. I Bondo and filled and primed and painted and put on a 2 part urethane clear coat and it is looking good, and gas doesn't phase it. Any used tank will have issues you would have to fix to make it look good anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it doesn't leak and you can finish the Bondo job and come out with a decent tank, I would do that.
My 1983 had a dent and I tried pulling it out but not with complete success. I Bondo and filled and primed and painted and put on a 2 part urethane clear coat and it is looking good, and gas doesn't phase it. Any used tank will have issues you would have to fix to make it look good anyway.
Sorry, maybe I was not clear.
Under the Bondo, which was poorly applied, is a actual hole in the gas tank.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,590 Posts
Since it already has a hole if there is a dent that needs to be pulled out,it would be easy to pull it out and fill with water and silver solder or braze it up and it will last forever.
The tanks are so hard to find in good condition it is worth it to fix it if it isn't total trash inside.

Some on Ebay that are fair and some are POS.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can always braze it. Far better than bondo an will last your lifetime :)
fill the tank with water before any work if there is still any gas (petrol here in UK) smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts