Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm quite new to motorcycles but I'm a DIYer for all my cars; so, I'm looking into repairing and maintaining my own motorcycles as well. Currently, I have interest in getting the above bike. I have a few questions:
  1. Are there any particular weaknesses in terms of any parts in this bike that have serious issues or costly repairs (in terms of parts or time or both)?
  2. The previous owner says it has a carb that needs to be cleaned. How much work does that entail?
  3. Are there anything which I should be watching out for when I go look at it and test it?
  4. Please feel free with any other recommendations.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
686 Posts
2006 Aero 750, For reference that means it should be a shaft drive single carb RC50. How many miles are on it? Has it sat for a while? Inside or outside?

1- Serious repairs...not a whole lot, if the gas tank is damaged beyond repair or really rusted inside then the tank cost comes in to play as it is $700+ to replace with a brand new dealer part. Most other maintenance is minimal and straight forward if you keep it stock. Fluids, filters, tires, ride it.

2- Could be as simple as adjusting the mixture screw and running some cleaner through it, could be as involved as pulling the carb and cleaning or replacing the jets and replacing gaskets, seals, etc. impossible to diagnose properly without being there in person.

3- Check fluid conditions and levels, check the fork seals/dust seals for cracks and leaking, check the fork tubes and all chrome for pitting, especially the spokes and wheels. Look for oil leaks around the top end of the cylinders, if it runs and at least idles well listen to the top end for valvetrain noise. Check the ends of the grips, clutch and brake levers for scratches, also the bottom of the exhaust as well as the turn signal lenses if they’re stock, these are indications of being dropped.

What are you looking for out of the bike? It is something you want to tinker with and modify? Or simply learn on and cruise/enjoy the roads?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I will keep these in mind.

How many miles are on it? Has it sat for a while? Inside or outside?
Waiting for owner to reply about the mileage. He said it was in storage for a few years.

[...]

What are you looking for out of the bike? It is something you want to tinker with and modify? Or simply learn on and cruise/enjoy the roads?
I'm looking to practice driving locally and eventually drive it further for day trips and perhaps longer trips after I'm assured that the engine is well cleaned and serviced by me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm looking to practice driving locally and eventually drive it further for day trips and perhaps longer trips after I'm assured that the engine is well cleaned and serviced by me.
The Shadow 750 Platform will serve you well, I’d go for it if the price is reasonable and it’s in good enough order that you’re confident you can wrench it back to proper life.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Aero
19 Posts
New to the 2006 Shadow Aero myself. Too new to comment on the maintenance side of things, but the only thing(s) I'd do to my bike is a better seat (you'd think a dude @ 276 lbs would have plenty of padding back there, but nope.) and a phone mount.

It starts every time so far (only had it 9 days, but ridden every day so far). Too early to comment on fuel mileage as well. I usually like to average a few tanks out.

Make sure you post back if you buy it or not (and if so - pics).

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,555 Posts
You better replace the tires if its been sitting due "storage". Check the date code on sidewalls. 5 yrs. old, replace especially if they are Dunlop's.

Reactions: Froth

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
If it was stored with fuel that may be a problem, You'll know when you drive it.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
Rusted and gummed up fuel tank and carbs.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
263 Posts
I am not much of a mechanic so I personally would stay away from any bike that's been sitting for "a number of years". Shops around here will not work on a bike that's over 10 years old.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am not much of a mechanic so I personally would stay away from any bike that's been sitting for "a number of years". Shops around here will not work on a bike that's over 10 years old.
FWIW that shop must not want to make money, I have two shops within 40 miles that not only welcome older metrics with open arms, they specialize in them and have a wrecking yard of old parts to go through. They are ALWAYS slammed packed busy, sounds like you’re going to the wrong shops!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts