Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Aero 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks, I'm happy to join a forum of fellow motorcycle enthusiasts.

I picked up a 1985 Nighthawk 450SC a year ago and have been riding every weekend on North Florida's canopy roads and scenic highways.

I also like working on the Nighthawk w/ the Clymer manual open next to me, reminiscent of working on my '68 Mustang in high school. Good stuff.

Now I'm ready to move up the displacement ladder and am watching Craigslist for an Aero 750 to go on longer trips up to GA, AL, TN, etc. Maybe in another year I'll be ready for an 1100!

Looking forward to discussing bikes & such w/ fellow fans.

-John

View attachment 298475

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,604 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I always liked the look of the Nighthawks. The 1100s are actually pretty light so it wouldn't be a big step up in terms of weight or horsepower. You would just have to get familiar with the bike which is always the case for a new one.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Welcome, nothing wrong with a 750. Though I prefer the chain-driven models as the factory gearing is lower than a lot of people prefer, easier to just change a sprocket to fix it. The Shadows are longer, with more rake than the Nighthawk, so low speed turning is not as sharp. The 750RS would be closest to the Nighthawk and is chain drive. I've had my 03 VT750CD Ace for something like 12 years now. Took it to Maggie Valley NC back in May for the 2nd time, riding 2-up.

How far north in FL? Me and the750 hang out in Melbourne on occasion.

Reactions: JohnReynolds

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got an 02 750 Spirit and take corner pretty fast. I'm also not afraid to scrape the pegs a little, either. But I'd honestly take a fuel injected RS if I could get my hands on one. I rode my brother's injected Aero several times, and it's just a little too laid back for me with the buckhorn handlebars.

Where in NoFL are you? Jacksonville resident here!

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
131 Posts
Welcome John. I started last season on a Hyosung GV250. Got my endorsement and put 1000 miles on her and replaced her with a 2013 Black Shadow Spirit 750. I got 1000 miles in before i had to put her up for winter. Can’t wait for March!

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Aero 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome, nothing wrong with a 750. Though I prefer the chain-driven models as the factory gearing is lower than a lot of people prefer, easier to just change a sprocket to fix it. The Shadows are longer, with more rake than the Nighthawk, so low speed turning is not as sharp. The 750RS would be closest to the Nighthawk and is chain drive. I've had my 03 VT750CD Ace for something like 12 years now. Took it to Maggie Valley NC back in May for the 2nd time, riding 2-up.

How far north in FL? Me and the750 hang out in Melbourne on occasion.
Good lord I forgot all about this thread & had notifications off [head slap]. I got an ‘09 Aero from a guy in Inverness, put new tires on, now getting use to the longer wheelbase & lower gearing here in Tallahassee. Thanks for chiming in — and I do miss the chain!

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Aero 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got an 02 750 Spirit and take corner pretty fast. I'm also not afraid to scrape the pegs a little, either. But I'd honestly take a fuel injected RS if I could get my hands on one. I rode my brother's injected Aero several times, and it's just a little too laid back for me with the buckhorn handlebars.

Where in NoFL are you? Jacksonville resident here!
As I just replied above, I’d let this thread fall out of my consciousness and just saw these replies, doh. The 09 Aero I ended up buying really is laid back. Maybe I’ll ride it for two years then swap out again. Having a blast either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts