Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at mid to high rpms i hear a loud squeal/ squeek, it shoulds like a high pitched vibration, could this be a loose bolt vibrating?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Possibly? IDK, radiator fan, little piece of sand in the gear box or bearings, maybe some dirt in the water pump? Maybe put the bike on the center stand, rev it up until you start hearing the squeak and try to get a better idea where the squeak is coming from? I've had two nuts (that I know of) work themselves off bolts on my bike and I never heard any squeaking. Not to say that can't happen; I'm just throwing my experience out there.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
More explanation please. What bike and year, where is the noise coming from and have you done any works on it recently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will jump in on this one, I have a 95 Shadow, 1100ACE...at mid to high rpm's I have a squeak/squeal too. It has made me crazy for two seasons.
It is coming from the radiator area( I think) . No one can find its source and I have removed parts and tightened every thing I could see that could possible move . I see no rub or abrasion marks on anything.
It makes me nuts, but I am tellin you I cannot find a thing.
Livin with it, bike runs like a champ.

Any other 95-99 ACE owners have anything similar?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I will jump in on this one, I have a 95 Shadow, 1100ACE...at mid to high rpm's I have a squeak/squeal too. It has made me crazy for two seasons.
It is coming from the radiator area( I think) . No one can find its source and I have removed parts and tightened every thing I could see that could possible move . I see no rub or abrasion marks on anything.

Your one sounds easy..maybe...at the bottom of your radiator is a thing tha looks like a big nut..sticking out of the back of it is a single wire pull it off..now switch on the ignition, dont start the engine..touch the spade connector on the end of the wire you just pulled off to any ground point..there's one in the centre of the radiator holding the bottom of the fan in place..the fan should run...does it squeak?

John.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You may also try to listen with a mechanics stethoscope to find where the noise is coming from. I bought one at Harbor Freight for around 5 bucks but before that I would use a long screwdriver and hold the handle against my ear. Then move the blade end to different spots on the engine to isolate the source of the noise. Its a little tricky to hear with at first but I hold the handle against the little flap over my ear canal, closing it off and then you can hear very well any grinding or squeals.
Of course this only applies if you can make the noise while sitting. If it's in the gearbox it won't work.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You can also hold it firmly against your forehead..the vibrations travel along the bone..

John.
LOL! I'm sure that does work but I have a funny mental image of a guy leaning against a screwdriver to his forehead. Does your head have "Stanley" imprinted on it when you're finished? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Radiator whine

I recently purchased a '95 1100ACE and I have heard the same noise. When idling I can clearly hear the fan running and it isn't obnoxious or anything - sounds like a radiator fan - but at high rpm's or after accelerating through 4th or 5th I have a whine coming from the front of the bike.
I would think it is the radiator fan but it's more prominent and more of a labored squeal. Is it the fan or possibly a coolant pump?
This is my first bike and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I recently purchased a '95 1100ACE and I have heard the same noise. When idling I can clearly hear the fan running and it isn't obnoxious or anything - sounds like a radiator fan - but at high rpm's or after accelerating through 4th or 5th I have a whine coming from the front of the bike.
I would think it is the radiator fan but it's more prominent and more of a labored squeal. Is it the fan or possibly a coolant pump?
This is my first bike and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Any help is much appreciated.
The fan most likely will not be running when you are moving at speed and the coolant(water)pump is in the motor and you wouldn't hear it. Are you sure it's whine and not whistle sound. You could be hearing air blowing through something making a whistling or whining sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a whine. It happens intermittently, at speed. It sounds like a fan or pump turning on.
Checked my oil and coolant levels yesterday and all seem to be okay.

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
Check the headlight bucket. When you hear the noise, reach down and grab the headlight and see if you can make it stop. The headlights on the ace are notorious for vibrating and making a sound similar to the one you are describing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe it is a squeal squeak from the exhaust. On my 96 ace after I go over the nus and bolts on the right side of the bike it goes away...then after aboutba thous miles it comes back. Don't know can't isolate it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts