Honda Shadow Forums banner
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Chuck_Michigan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I ride a 1986 VT1100 with footboards, and the right footboard is loose to the point where it spins if I put any weight on it at all (for example, shifting in my seat or standing up slightly to go over a bump). I am trying to avoid taking it to the mechanic if possible, so I went to the hardware store and tried getting a replacement for the bolt that had previously fastened it to the mount. However, this did not provide any better results, and I am left trying to figure out how to get this thing back to the point where it is safe to ride regularly (The last thing I want is for my footboard to malfunction while I'm on a ride. I tried putting some Gorilla Glue on the bolt and between the board and the mount for now, and depending on how well that holds, I may not need to take it to the mechanic at all because I eventually plan to simply buy pegs.

I am still concerned though, because no matter how much I tighten the bolt, it does not seem to be enough.

Has anyone encountered similar problems? What did you do to fix the issue?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Assuming those are aftermarket floorboards...

From your description it sounds like the splines on the floorboard connector have worn out. So, no matter how much you tighten the bolt, the thing will never properly snug up. Unless those splines are replaceable, you're probably out of luck ever having the floorboard be safe.

It might be time to get new floorboards...

:(

#4 · (Edited)
Can you post a photo of the floorboards and the mounting arrangement. If you are discussing a bolt through the bike frame that threads into the floorboard you would have to rethread the floorboard and thats possible using something like a helicoil. ie drill out the threads, insert the helicoil and the bolt will work. If you are talking about a bolt through a mounting bracket that does not go through the frame, I would just use JBWeld epoxy and permanently bind the board to the mount.

#5 ·
The old fashioned cheats for us old bikers that used to have to make do with
"UNIVERSAL" parts is to either A. (take it to a welder) or B. (use JBWeld or PC-7)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.