Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm having problems with my 2000 Shadow Sabre 1100 with 14,xxx miles.

Bike has cobra pipes and I just rejetted with a dyno jet stage 1 kit to the instructions for aftermarket pipes but I'm having the same problems I had before rejetting.

Basically I'll be riding and and get going 60+ mph (according to the speedo but I have my suspicions its off) and bike will start to stumble and fall on its face. Sounds like I drop cylinders and then lose everything and It takes some time to restart the bike (cranks but won't start.) and once I do it runs poorly and I don't get far.

I had these problems before the rejet with lots of popping on deceleration but with new jets and replacing missing intake clamps the backfiring seems to be mostly corrected other than a few randoms at high speed decel and a steady light popping at low speed.

As of now the work I've done to the bike is new fuel lines, new fuel filter, carb clean and rebuild and dyno jet kit. New ignition coils (caltric) reusing old wires, new plugs, replace bad carb breather lines, fixes coolant leaks and new coolant, synced carbs, fuel pump passes volume test, tank vent is clear.

I'm starting to get discouraged buying this from a dealer and having so many problems. Next I'm going to check petcock screen because I saw a little dirt in the new filter and maybe see if I can check the regulator for proper function and ignition control modules if anyone can give me pointers on how to test these or any other suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also after the rejet and work being done I rode 70 miles no issue that I could here but it was windy. After 30 miles I filled tank and added some seafoam. Road another 40 and stopped at home to check spark plug color. Took off and got two miles down the road and pushed it back. Also I didn't check the petcock screen yet because the flow looked strong the couple times I drained the tank

·
Registered
7 Posts
is that three wire connector under the seat burned?
this is a common failure mode. I would figure out what’s happening specifically before entering poorhouse. Why did you do the rejet kit? popping On decel is pretty standard if it is excessive it is usually a little lean. It sounds to me like you’re running rich now, flooding out the plugs and the motor. What happens when you lean out the mixture with the a/f screws? Important thing is did it ever do that before the rejet it because if not that’s your issue. Dealer will be extreme unhelpful at this point, is there a carb guy you trust around? It’s the a/f mix or the harness, most likely. The thing about the harness burn, it causes issue you have.

lets get this figured out! J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that three wire connector under the seat burned?
this is a common failure mode. I would figure out what’s happening specifically before entering poorhouse. Why did you do the rejet kit? popping On decel is pretty standard if it is excessive it is usually a little lean. It sounds to me like you’re running rich now, flooding out the plugs and the motor. What happens when you lean out the mixture with the a/f screws? Important thing is did it ever do that before the rejet it because if not that’s your issue. Dealer will be extreme unhelpful at this point, is there a carb guy you trust around? It’s the a/f mix or the harness, most likely. The thing about the harness burn, it causes issue you have.

lets get this figured out! J
Rejet to get more fuel with the increased airflow coming from the aftermarket pipes. These problems did happen before rejet but the insane amount of popping seems to be corrected. What plug are you talking about? 3 yellow from regulator? I know melted stator wires are common but I don't think the stator is the issue because battery still has power after stalling out

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
If it was running good, then you checked the plugs and it wasn't running good. Maybe your plug wires are messed up. Maybe the plug ends need to be reset on the wire. Check the coil end connections also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was running good, then you checked the plugs and it wasn't running good. Maybe your plug wires are messed up. Maybe the plug ends need to be reset on the wire. Check the coil end connections also.
Coil end connector should be good connection because i put the old ones on new coil and cut a little off before hand to ensure contact betweem the new needle and wire. I'm not sure what you mean by the other end connection tho? Do you mean make sure the boot is on the plug?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
Coil end connector should be good connection because i put the old ones on new coil and cut a little off before hand to ensure contact betweem the new needle and wire. I'm not sure what you mean by the other end connection tho? Do you mean make sure the boot is on the plug?
Yes, where the spark plug wire runs into the boot plug connector. Sometimes they will get a bit corroded or loose and lose some spark. Similar to what you did on the coil end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, where the spark plug wire runs into the boot plug connector. Sometimes they will get a bit corroded or loose and lose some spark. Similar to what you did on the coil end.
From what I could tell the boots weren't just going to just come off which is why I reused the old wires instead of the new wires that came with the caltric ignition coils. It looked like I wouldn't be able to transfer the boots to new wires. That and the wires that came with the coils didn't have a grommet for the jam nut to press against and keep a tight connection. I will look at them again closer or do I have to cut them off and reattatch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rejet to get more fuel with the increased airflow coming from the aftermarket pipes. These problems did happen before rejet but the insane amount of popping seems to be corrected. What plug are you talking about? 3 yellow from regulator? I know melted stator wires are common but I don't think the stator is the issue because battery still has power after stalling out
Do you think maybe I change the needle jet position I believe I have the E ring on the 3rd groove now so I may be able to richen it up or make it lean. I think it may need richness

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
From what I could tell the boots weren't just going to just come off which is why I reused the old wires instead of the new wires that came with the caltric ignition coils. It looked like I wouldn't be able to transfer the boots to new wires. That and the wires that came with the coils didn't have a grommet for the jam nut to press against and keep a tight connection. I will look at them again closer or do I have to cut them off and reattatch?
It nearly sounds like you have some type of heat issue. That once your bike is warmed up your losing power. One way I check issues like that is with an old inductive timing light. Connect the leads to the battery and one over a plug wire and spin the engine. See if you get any light at all on the timing light. You can do this on both cylinders just one at a time though. My boat ran perfect until I got it to the lake. I brought my timing light and hooked it up at the lake and sure enough once under load a cylinder cut out. Mine ended up being a bad coil. I have had questionable results with Caltric. Great on a Honda regulator but I ordered a Yamaha regulator and it was out of spec, I tried 2 of them both out of spec and got my money back. So even if the coil is new Caltric could be questionable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to check the fuel petcock screen and found this inside my tank. Treated tank with evaporust and waiting on the new screen to come in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts