Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2004 honda shadow spirit 1100, it’s been running like a champ since i bought it 8 weeks ago and all of a sudden when i go to ride it to work as soon as i hit 45-55mph it starts sputtering and losses all power until i come to a stop and it stalls out. today it’s also started making a hollow howling sound when i push it forward or get going in 1st. Halp.... please

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
Is the intake and exhaust still factory stock? I may be that the intake came loose and causes the air flow to upset the carbs. Or did something get sucked into the intake opening?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the intake and exhaust still factory stock? I may be that the intake came loose and causes the air flow to upset the carbs. Or did something get sucked into the intake opening?

the exhaust isn’t stock and i’m not entirely sure the intake is either, my intake is under my seat and runs under the tank towards the battery box area(i don’t have the boxes though it’s a skeleton pretty much) the old intake had a K&an filter but it was bedlined along with the frame so i had to do a 3” adaptable build your own just to get a different filter on it. but that was when i first got it and this issue is recent in the last day or 2

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,177 Posts
Interesting sound description. Does this happen in neutral, or when the clutch is in, even when the engine is turned off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting sound description. Does this happen in neutral, or when the clutch is in, even when the engine is turned off?
the weird metallic hollow howling from the bottom of the engine is only when i go forward, on, off, neutral, or in gear, doesn’t matter

to be more specific on the sputtering, i completely lose 2 of 4 cylinders once it gets to that point and will lose power slowly if i keep it pinned, once i let off the throttle it goes down rapidly and i’m basically just coasting to a safe spot.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,177 Posts
The Magnas had four cylinders. Shadows only had two, but with two spark plugs per cylinder. It sounds like either the ignition is breaking down, or you’re starving for fuel. As for the bowl, doing it in Neutral means it’s either something at your driveshaft/sprocket, or possibly a bearing inside the transmission. Does the pitch of the howl change with speed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Magnas had four cylinders. Shadows only had two, but with two spark plugs per cylinder. It sounds like either the ignition is breaking down, or you’re starving for fuel. As for the bowl, doing it in Neutral means it’s either something at your driveshaft/sprocket, or possibly a bearing inside the transmission. Does the pitch of the howl change with speed?
yeah there’s a slight change up until the exhaust drowns it out then i can’t hear it

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,177 Posts
Well, if you can’t hear it, there’s no problem... Right? LOL! That’s a hard one, since being proactive would involve at least dismantling the clutch assembly and drive shaft, then working through until you find the culprit and replace it. Otherwise, it could keep howling for a long time... before disasterously destroying itself, and who knows what else? Or it may never self-destruct... You just never know.

Anyway, I would ignore it for now, and concentrate on getting your immediate fuel/ignition issue resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts