Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm riding along when my bike starts acting crazy , as if i was running out of gas and the pipes were popping like crazy. Btw its a vt1100c , so I pulled in to a gas station and thats when I noticed the sound of air being sucked in. I look to see where it was coming from and saw the screw fell out . Ugh stuffed the whole with a cigarette butt and made it home just fine.

I orded the screw from service honda, My question is ...is it just a matter of screwing the new one in and I'm done?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes and no.... They are screwed in and turned out a certain number of times to get the correct amount of fuel/air.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not sure with your bike, but most will have a strong spring on the screw to keep tension and prevent movement or much less falling out.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The screw also uses a washer, o-ring and spring which should come with the new one you ordered. You need to make sure the old washer, o-ring and spring and not still in the hole. Then install the new set and gently screw it all the way in so as not to damage the tip of the screw ..... then back it out the same number of turns as the one in the other carb. Between 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 is about normal.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If it's backed out too far the spring wont reach/hold.

Alternate is (dab of) silicone in hole, or re-install cover plug...and drill .125 hole in it for mini screwdriver.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
If you back them out much more than 3.5 turns they seem to have that I will leave you feeling, as mentioned, once you get them set where you need them, I'd plug the hole with some caps or silicone, something easy to remove and be sure you check that spring and o rings are still not in the carb, take a flashlight and look at the new stuff and then check for the same thing before installing.............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts