Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was working on my clutch and lost one of the copper washers. I'm assuming that I need another copper one bc copper is soft. I dont have anymore so I'm wondering if anyone thinks a beer bottle cap will do the same job. Its soft like copper all I woorry about is the rubber seal inside the cap. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to any store bc of the mandatory mask requirements. I think it's useless so I'm looking for a red green way to fix it lol

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't let your beliefs get in the way of fixing your bike properly.
Theres always another way. I'm just looking for another alternative way. I'm the kind of guy that dont bend a knee to things I dont believe. So if anyone has another way I'd appreciate it. Was also thinking of hammering a penny really thin. After all it's just a peice of copper with a hole in it

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
813 Posts
Theres always another way. I'm just looking for another alternative way. I'm the kind of guy that dont bend a knee to things I dont believe. So if anyone has another way I'd appreciate it. Was also thinking of hammering a penny really thin. After all it's just a peice of copper with a hole in it
It’s a sealed hydraulic system... in the best interest of the fluid staying inside the system and you being able to shift and not get stuck in a lane of traffic you should very much replace the copper crush washer with an appropriate brand new copper crush washer. These washers are never supposed to be reused because copper can anneal itself and crack, then you risk losing control with a dead clutch and serious personal injury. Seems like wearing a mask(or keeping a full face helmet on inside the store) is a really simple thing to do to be safe, and stay safe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not going to any store bc of the mandatory mask requirements.
Then you can do what we did in high school. Hang around in the parking lot until somebody who is mature enough shows up and ask THEM to go in and buy you the kind of beer you want. It's traditional to pay for their beer too, for the service rendered.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'll take my chances
More power to you then, fair warning the system you’re trying to rig a seal on can push over 3,000psi of line pressure. There are things you can rig, and then there are things you should never ever rig but not much point trying to argue that with you, you’ve made your mind up and I’ll be here waiting for the “crap, how do I fix this now” post. Only offering this up based on years and years of experience, though you know better of course.

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then you can do what we did in high school. Hang around in the parking lot until somebody who is mature enough shows up and ask THEM to go in and buy you the kind of beer you want. It's traditional to pay for their beer too, for the service rendered.
Lol okay guy thanks for the alternative way (shakes head)

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More power to you then, fair warning the system you’re trying to rig a seal on can push over 3,000psi of line pressure. There are things you can rig, and then there are things you should never ever rig but not much point trying to argue that with you, you’ve made your mind up and I’ll be here waiting for the “crap, how do I fix this now” post. Only offering this up based on years and years of experience, though you know better of course.
I'm aware of the psi. Copper is copper so unless I need a special copper washer I think it will work. Everyone is saying go to a hardware store so I'm sure any copper will do

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,144 Posts
Well, pennies aren't made of copper anymore, and there's no way in Hell you'd be able to 'hammer' it flat. But while you're at it, you might as well replace the copper washer in the banjo bolt of your hydraulic brake line with a hammered penny.... just to really make riding a bike a more exciting experience.

After a crash and you're in a body cast, you won't have to worry about 'bending a knee'.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Some people only learn through doing, I’ve been there. Trust me, you have got some sweet sweet learning coming your way.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
84 Honda vt750c Shadow
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, pennies aren't made of copper anymore, and there's no way in Hell you'd be able to 'hammer' it flat. But while you're at it, you might as well replace the copper washer in the banjo bolt of your hydraulic brake line with a hammered penny.... just to really make riding a bike a more exciting experience.
Lol I will and I bet itll work. Iv done things like this on my truck and shes running strong

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Lol I will and I bet itll work. Iv done things like this on my truck and shes running strong
When they are peeling you off the pavement you can laugh and announce that it doesn't hurt and that you actually won and feel proud of yourself because you defied the mask order.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
When they are peeling you off the pavement you can laugh and announce that it doesn't hurt and that you actually won and feel proud of yourself because you defied the mask order. The female ambulance attendant will probably swoon at your macho attitude.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,666 Posts
Around here a bandana will pass for a mask, unless you are just scared of masked people, which I can understand my wife is scared of clowns, I'm surprised she married me. (o:
If you go hunting for a copper penny look for an old one, check to make sure it is not magnetic. Don't beat it it will work harden, instead rub it back and forth on a large file until you can't tell heads from tails and then drill a hole in it to suit the bolt, give it another rub on the file to deburr it. That's about the best you can do given the limitations.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Around here a bandana will pass for a mask, unless you are just scared of masked people, which I can understand my wife is scared of clowns, I'm surprised she married me. (o:
If you go hunting for a copper penny look for an old one, check to make sure it is not magnetic. Don't beat it it will work harden, instead rub it back and forth on a large file until you can't tell heads from tails and then drill a hole in it to suit the bolt, give it another rub on the file to deburr it. That's about the best you can do given the limitations.
In theory that would work only if he managed to make the top and bottom of the penny perfectly parallel. Otherwise one edge of the penny will be thicker than the opposite side and he'll be clamping down on an angled surface.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm sure ya'll are overthinking this and a piece of cardboard, a pair of scissors, and some duck tape will get the job done. Don't need no fancy store bought hydraulic fluid either, even a 5th grader knows that water ain't compressible.

Some guy at the Walmarts was saying that if'n I leave air in the lines, the pressure won't go that high anyways, so nothing is gonna blow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts