Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my keys to my 94 shadow 1100. How can I go about getting the key code to get new keys made? I called the dealer and he said look on the back of the ignition but I don't see anything there. :(

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
HOMER PIMPSON said:
I lost my keys to my 94 shadow 1100. How can I go about getting the key code to get new keys made? I called the dealer and he said look on the back of the ignition but I don't see anything there. :(
There is a code either on the side or back of the ignition. You may have to take it off to find it. I believe it is a 5 or 6 digit code. You use take the last 3 digits of that code to your dealer and they can cut a new key.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought but I didn't see a code on the ignition. Is it very small or imprinted into the platic cover on the back? Or do I need to take that cover off and look on thye inside?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
HOMER PIMPSON said:
Thats what I thought but I didn't see a code on the ignition. Is it very small or imprinted into the platic cover on the back? Or do I need to take that cover off and look on thye inside?
I believe you will have to take the cover off...but you don't have to take the ignition completely apart though. Remove it from the frame and remove any "loose" covers that are held on by the bolts.

I wish I could remember exactly what covers were on the ignition on Leslie's 750. There may have been a separate cover just on the ignition that had to come off.

Sorry I can't be more exact than that.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I found the code it is a##. Stamped in the metal on the side of the ignition. I called the local honda dealer but he was no help. When I read him what I thought was the key code he said I don't know. So tommorow I am going to a lock smith with the code I found and hopefully it is the key code. $15 is alot better than the $90 they want to cut a key without the code.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
The key code will be something like "A27" or "B53" and a Honda motorcycle dealer can, indeed, cut a key from the code; one near me charges $9 to do it. (Don't worry, I made up the examples.)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
First thing I do when I buy a bike, car, truck, etc., I go get three keys made for it. I carry an extra key in my inside jacket pocket when I ride incase I lose the original one. And I always have an extra on at home too. I hate when you buy a vehicle used and they only give you one key. Most people don;t have a clue where the second key is.

·
Registered
236 Posts
adlowe said:
The key code will be something like "A27" or "B53" and a Honda motorcycle dealer can, indeed, cut a key from the code; one near me charges $9 to do it. (Don't worry, I made up the examples.)
I bought my Spirit 1100 used, so I don't have the key codes on paper. I noticed a code similar to the codes adlowe lists. Is the key code stamped on the "original" keys?

Thanks,
Jim
2001 Spirit 1100

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
jfusa said:
adlowe said:
I bought my Spirit 1100 used, so I don't have the key codes on paper. I noticed a code similar to the codes adlowe lists. Is the key code stamped on the "original" keys?

Thanks,
Jim
2001 Spirit 1100
You don't need a key code to have your key or keys duplicated, just take the key you have into a locksmith and he can make copies for ya.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
HOMER PIMPSON said:
I think I found the code it is a##. Stamped in the metal on the side of the ignition. I called the local honda dealer but he was no help. When I read him what I thought was the key code he said I don't know. So tommorow I am going to a lock smith with the code I found and hopefully it is the key code. $15 is alot better than the $90 they want to cut a key without the code.
Go to a different dealer. They can make the key from the codes if they have the key cutting tool and the book to do it. I had 3 keys made from the code for a total of $20 at my local dealer.

It sounds to me that they don't want to do it or don't have the experience to do it.

Joe

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
Yes, it is the code stamped on the "original" keys. That is, in fact, the easiest place to find it -- provided you have the original keys. And you should write the number down somewhere handy in your wallet (like on the registration) should you ever need it.

And if you do have the original key, you don't need the code to get another key cut. But if you don't have a key, you'll need the code to get a key cut by a Honda dealer or else you'll have to bring the ignition (or helmet lock) into a capable locksmith.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Good thinking on a THIRD key! I attach my second key somewhere on the bike itself in a place that is not easily accessable. I am going to get a third key (Flat) made, take the original and put it in a lockbox so I will have the original number.
Why didn't I think of that? Don't answer that one, OK? :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The code I found was the right code went to the local lock smith with the code and got a new set of keys cut in about 5 minutes. I made sure to get a spare to lock away in my safe. plus now I know were to get the code. It is tamped very small on the side of the ignition. letter followed by 2 numbers. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.