Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
Just my $.02, if you look at HD bikes being used in drag races, they have fairly long pipes. If the shortest pipes made the most power that would change fast. Instead my buddy had 7 inch or so blast pipes on his sportser. When he accelerated all you saw was a mist and the smell of raw gas followed by a touch of a flame. Maybe not tuned perfectly but in my opinion it wouldn't be possible to tune that perfectly. Food for thought.
I have heard that with short pipes you run the risk of bending a valve since cool/cold air does not have far to go to get to the valve.

Could be an old mechanics tale,,,I have never tried to prove/disprove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,201 Posts
Many say that loud pipes don't save lives but I appreciate a bike loud enough to hear without me having to look for it while I am in a dump truck or other truck pulling trailers. I'll hear something and zip they are gone. Most bikes are flying fast enough that you hear them fly by and barely see them.

· Registered
3,278 Posts
The 1100 45 degree Single pin motors sound so much like a Harley that Harley sued Honda for copying their "sound",,,
Just bought an 07 Shadow Areo , Exaust is much quieter than my 05 . Both exausts are the same ...., Wonder why ?
There's a possibility they added a catalytic converter in there. They did that to the Vulcan Nomads in 2000 I think, the 99 sounded good with just pulling the tail spouts, newer ones didn't. Parts diagrams still call it a "pre-muffler"

· Registered
654 Posts
The 1100 45 degree Single pin motors sound so much like a Harley that Harley sued Honda for copying their "sound",,,

There's a possibility they added a catalytic converter in there. They did that to the Vulcan Nomads in 2000 I think, the 99 sounded good with just pulling the tail spouts, newer ones didn't. Parts diagrams still call it a "pre-muffler"
Checked both out today with a piece of 3/ 8 " round stock ..., New 07 ,...bar stopped at about 12" ,... 05 went right past that .., Somebody been in there ,.... Now I've been in the 07 .., Sounds better now ..., But not too loud ....,

· Registered
35 Posts
83 Shadow 750
I come back after grabbing a fully warmed up exhaust pipe with my bare hands, I have installed MAC exhausts: MAC 1983-1985 Honda VT700 VT750 Shadow 700 750 Black Taper Tip Exhaust Mufflers | eBay
These are NOS and come without enough brackets but I made them work. I didn’t have to jet, as a matter of fact the bike simply runs better with these vs the stock exhaust. Before, I could have 6-8 compression strokes before I got a whimper but now it just fires off like nothing

Anyway IMO this will never sound just like a Harley. Someone correct me but this doesn’t have a shared crank pin but also this thing lives at 3k rpm+. Last time I rode a sportster 1200 with a screaming Eagle engine (1997) it was out of breath at 5k let alone 6 which is their redline but Honda says it’s safe to run this thing up to 8k. I’m pretty sure the thump of a Harley comes from being an under square engine and I understand that displacement is still displacement but an 883 still sounds like a Harley. This bike will always sound like a Japanese Vtwin trying to be a Harley but that’s okay because to me it sounds better. This is as loud as I want to take it and it’s running immaculately. My final thought is that in the very early 80s you saw a radical jump in Horsepower from Japanese bikes. There never was a gentlemens agreement. Rather the 4 stroke 4 cylinder design that Honda bought was, through several means, shared among the Big 4. In 1982 you saw the muscle bikes starting to come out which had fairly big cams and 4 valves per cylinder and the shadow is a product of that. I was surprised at the seat of the pants feel being almost on par with my 84 1100 Sabre after this exhaust install. I’m almost 100% sure it makes much more horsepower then it was actually rated for.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts