Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I grew up hearing it, most cruiser guys (and sportys too, lol) love it, and its kinda hard to admit, but cmon...

Am I the only one who thinks its BS?

Lets face it, just on vehicle noise reduction (cager sound proofing) increases, we would be spinning our wheels lmao. They could make them quieter faster than we could get them (as a whole, much if any) louder. Factor in homeowners assoc putting curfews on ALL bikes, noise pollution laws, and the irritating bellow (its only cool the first 200 miles without earplugs) & a 12oo with swept 12" long, 3 inch wide, fire breathing bike is more headache than id want for a daily. Dont know how some of these guys do it...

And nooo, im not talking about a baffle being removed, or even sawing some pipes within reason. But if you cant hear after you get off from moving it around the lot, jeez, spend some cash and grow some self security... Lol, southparks harley episode is good if you havent seen it, brum brumm brum brum. Brum. Lol, what are yalls thoughts? Wheres the "ehh, cool", & "fing tard" line? For dailys, no trailer queens, garage monsters, track day specials, fairweather favorites, hellraising hoppers, etc...

·
Registered
503 Posts
the only time i think i may have come close to ending the life of a biker that i didn’t hear is when he sped up past me on the highway when i was changing lanes.
i think a loud pipe wouldn’t have helped him much in that situation, mostly cause he was just speeding.
i could see how a loud noise might help to identify the presence of a motorcycle, that normally has a small visual presence.

·
Registered
179 Posts
While it's good to be noticed, I can say I've been startled by a loud, fast machine passing me while driving a car. That could also lead to an accident. Many non-motorcycle people just think a loud bike is obnoxious. I don't really want people to think that about me.

I installed extra lights on my Aero, so it's easier to be seen both day and night.

I believe that proper riding techniques, staying focused on maximizing your safety margin in every situation, is the best way to ensure you will return safely from your rides. "Ride like you were invisible" was the advice that stuck with me the most, and I think about that all the time.

I like the way the factory exhaust looks and sounds, and have no plans to change it.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Being seen by cagers is important and I think loud clothing helps, but it takes away that important "biker" feeling that dark clothing and loud pipes give the rider.
If one loudly played a recording of my wife nagging and complaining, everyone would get out of the way.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Loud pipes save lives, but so do horns! It does make perfect sense that even if a car isn't looking in his mirrors but hears you, he'll know you are there. So to say that loud pipes is safer is a factual statement.

I personally believe that -

Loud Pipes Annoy the Neighbors.

People don't do it for safety, they just use that for a reason, because they don't want to admit that the real reason is that they need attention.

I have stock pipes on all my bikes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
IMO it is their bike it can be as loud as they want. Aa long there is respect for residential neighborhooda then let us be. I for one like loud pipes I don't do it because it saves lives or to say look at me. I do it because I like it and that is what matters. I for one don't care what anyone else thinks of me or my bike as long as I am happy and I sure respect by not blasting in residential neighborhoods then there should be know problem. As far as saving lives hours there may have been a few cases that it has happened but the only thing they I bigger should trust to save his life is himself. If you're not looking out for yourself don't expect others to.

=================================
Swyped from my Warm Gingerbread Evo 4D (smellaphone) Using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally I think they can help.. Yes you have a horn that helps as well but how many of you start "Honking" when you see someone pulling up to the road from a parking lot, stop light, etc etc.. If we all starting doing this then the horn would be annoying and would no longer have any effect because hearing it would be the "norm" anymore, plus if you talk about scaring peeps just add in riding up beside someone then blaring the horn for another driver. The pipes on the other hand draw your attention like it or not. It's kinda human nature to "look" in the direction of the loud noise, especially while driving. There can be an entire topic on the "Respect" for neighbors etc etc, but that goes with almost anything period. What if your neighbor is a Vegetarian, do you never grill out anymore?? lol Now the real aspect.. "CAN vs WILL"... As I stated, personally I think they CAN help and at times do. That does not mean you'll appear as a semi truck running down the road and all is good. Nothing will ever replace Defensive driving skills while on a bike, especially with roads only getting more and more crowded by the year. So, to make it short and sweet, yes pipes CAN help, that does not mean they WILL always work though. Pipes or no Pipes, Defensive driving will always be the best option regardless of bike type or setup.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Loud pipes, you either love them or hate them . I happen to love them to a certain point. I have a set of V & H Cruzer II 's on my bike and they are just right for me. Everyone has an opinion on pipes and all the arguing in the world for or against wont change my mind or anyone elses so state your opinion and move on to the next thread.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I have done the holesaw mod only. With this in mind here's one example,,I'm running 70mph interstate,,I'm overtaking a corvette convertible with the top down,,I'm about 50 feet back from the vette and the passenger twists around to see what's coming up behind them..and my bike isn't real loud.

I still don't have a strong opinion about the saving lives part,,,just like the HIGH VIS vests, I don't think they do a lot for you..Example,,,I was in my truck, had a bike coming towards me. The bike had a black fairing/bat wing,,so I only saw the rider's vest as he was even with me,,from the rear, the riders luggage blocked all of his High Vis vest...

It's all up to the individual,,it's all a matter of opinion,,,pipes, vests, helmets..atgatt,,,the bottom line is it's all aboult rider skill and self awareness.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Bottom line it's on 'US'/'YOU' to be seen and heard. I favor the louder pipes, you can always twist down on them changing lanes, passing cars etc.
Always be on the defense.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Being seen by cagers is important and I think loud clothing helps, but it takes away that important "biker" feeling that dark clothing and loud pipes give the rider.
If one loudly played a recording of my wife nagging and complaining, everyone would get out of the way.
That's just funny right there! I think you could make some money selling that, too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still am not riding yet (but will be) so I have not experienced first hand riding along with other vehicles. But I find my self watching how other drivers don't pay attention to what is going on around them. Here in Georgia it is illegal to text and drive yet I see an alarming number of drivers texting, not to mention eating, yapping on the cell phone, reading, etc. I am concerned about these drivers but I refuse to let these drivers keep me from enjoying my bike.

Linda

·
Registered
78 Posts
I live in the country and drive to work at 3am every morning. When I had the stock pipes on I would come over a hill and scare the deer into my path because they didn't hear me till the last moment. With my open, yes wide open, Exhaust I come over the bill and they bolt the other way or are already heads up looking at me. The other part is the annoyance factor, I can really make my presence known of u irritate me! :)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now see, the deer argument has more sense to it than most arguments ive heard. Im for loud pipes, think its your ride, you choose, but the ones that just over do it, costant revving at red lights, etc annoy ME, and im a rider lmao. Residental, yeah, show some respect. More than 1 neighbors realized a loud bike and some leather dont do much against a pissed of step dad getting a sick kid to sleep lmao.
Ive got factory pipes on the 6er, had chopped off straights on the little bobber toy (250 sounded like a 1100 lol), & may end up doing something to this one too, who knows... I did have a 1200 couple years ago, and was the first to say it was overkill. About 3 inches of pipe showed, and between the fumes at lights and the noise I had a full system put back on. (lotta good it did me, two months later loaned it to a friend to make a run and he laid it down in front of a truck.)

Its always interesting to see peoples opinion, and I have to agree that ya, it can help, but I think clothes, lights (doing that one myself, ehh) picking your spots, etc def help more. Lol, anything can help, if you use it right! Lmao, rocket forums condemn all cruiser riders of being attention crying, ego fluffing blowhards, while they try and figure out the same stuff to do lol. And of course, harley forums are stocked with people who believe such things as the bible. Lol, that and the front brake. Harleys must have the stongest front brakes ever, to cause all those accidents... Guess mine was wearing out hahahahaha!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've got V&H Cruzers on my 750 ACE and MACs on my 84 VT700. Neither of these sets of pipes are obnoxiously loud, but both are louder than stock. They are not so loud that I rattle windows when I come home, but they are loud enough to let people know I'm coming up beside them in traffic. They don't seem to be much more useful from a distance because they are pointed the wrong direction. I think a headlight and brake-light modulator are much more useful overall.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Whether or not the V&H's I plan to buy annoy my neighbors, do or do not make cages pay attention to me more, or make sexy women want to ride the phantom....

I want the blacked out V&Hs because they look 10x better than the stock toaster shiny pipes I have now, sound great, and will statistically make the women come a runnin'

·
Registered
547 Posts
I will keep the stock pipes. If you are claiming people in front of you will hear you coming, then you have your pipes facing the wrong direction for that argument to work. Facing back it is just that people will know you went past not that you are coming up behind them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts