Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel pump crapped out on me about mid December replaced that and the relay. Have spark at my boots and still no fire. Even checked and filled my fuel tank. After installing the pump (relay came later) I could get the bike to fire with full choke once... I was able to start it a couple times that way but it dies a minute and a half in... Any help's appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pump quit a couple months back. Changed that and it would fire with choke briefly. Relay showed up yesterday.. That didn't work either.. I dunno... Could my headlight being off the bike play a role at all?

·
Registered
892 Posts
They want to torture you. Feel you out. Judge your dedication and devotion. How badly do you REALLY want them? How willing are you to WORK for it? ;)

Well, it’s not really personal. Just feels like it. You need to start in the cylinders and work your way back. With everything dry and clear, pour a tablespoon of fuel (or use a little ether/starting fluid) into each cylinder. Then see if it wants to start. If it doesn’t fire, or try to fire, it’s probably something in the ignition (spark) or the valves. More likely it’ll fire up for a second. Then you get to. Work your way back to the tank through the fuel system. Especially the carburetor(s). It’s almost ALWAYS the carburetors...

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
Does it have a vacuum operated petcock and is it opening? After you attempt to start it, check your plugs to see if they are getting fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it have a vacuum operated petcock and is it opening? After you attempt to start it, check your plugs to see if they are getting fuel.
No vacuum operation at petcock unless I'm ignorant. 05 with the stock petcock. I'll check as soon as I get back to the shop thanks boss

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,950 Posts
Loosen the drain screws on the float bowls to prove it is getting fuel delivered.
It should run on that for about a minute even without a pump .

Pull the plugs to see what they look like. Flooded now?
If no go you might check compression too if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, start with basics, either fuel, air, or spark. Spark should be BRIGHT blue, if not battery may be too low for proper spark. +1 on Swifty's check the float bowl to make sure fuel is reaching there. Really sounds like the battery is low though. These shadows don't like low batteries and won't spark properly under compression below like 12.3-12.5v.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the culprit. Mr5-3 half of it wasn't working. Starter solenoid btw... I should have went straight to that after learning the fuel pump wasn't getting power... Hope I didn't **** anything else up in there

And my ****in carbs!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lied! Big lie. Electrical short... Definitely gonna be stripping my wiring harness down soon too...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts