Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, long time..

question, i hate the low beam on my shadow 1100..its 2005..its terrible to see at night..

any of you have this problem with low beam and any suggestions? :roll:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car coming other way at night, i dim my lights..its terrible to see..then if a car is not coming, i have use high beams all time..

i dont like it 1 bit..those low beams should be brighter..hoping someone has solution..

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Couple of things to get you started, 1-go to your auto parts store and buy a Sylvaina SilverStar bulb 65/55 watt (# 9003 or H4) and change the bulb you will difinetly see a difference, along with that I would adjust your headlight up http://sabreridersgroup.com/wiki/index.php?Headlight Adjustment this will also help, another thing that I found is having auxilary lights, either a light bar or like you see in my sig pic, I have these hooked to my low beam and it really helps see the road at nite, these are what I have http://www.cruiserfx.com/Light_Brkt.htm and I used Gonzo's wiring harness (he is on the forum here), this set up really helps to see the road at nite......... 8)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I agree, the low beam sucked on my Sabre so I adjusted it. I tinkered around with the adjustments until I got it to a point where I am comfortable with it. I am also going to get the aftermarket light mentioned above to help a bit more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wasn't crazy 'bout mine eighther. I made sure ( as mentioned above) that it was adjusted to spec. then I added the light bar with some small Halogen Silver Bullets. I then added the small LED Silver Bullet turn lights to match. This was mostly to be more visible to others. As others have said, I usually keep the brights on until a vehicle is going the other way and only at night.
[/img]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's another idea, I wonder if anyone has experince with this. I have a mazda miata. Just so happens the pop up headlights on this car use H4 bulbs. I purchased non DOT approved offroad motorcycle bulbs and reflectors and put them in the car. They are 80/100w. Seems like with all the HID and Xeon(?) bulbs in the pricey Euro cars now that annoyingly bright headlights are more and more common. Same issue as the motorcycle, lighting is a safety issue in this small car. Lighting is 100% improved with these extra bright lights. I did quite a bit of reading up on this common miata mod before making the change. There was some concern about higher current draw on the wiring harness, and i probably wouldn't drive for extended periods with the high beams on, but so far the stock wiring has been fine, and it's been 3 years since the mod.
I wonder about putting the same bulb in my Shadow Spirit 1100. Anyone have experince with this?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
kram2691 said:
Here's another idea, I wonder if anyone has experince with this. I have a mazda miata. Just so happens the pop up headlights on this car use H4 bulbs. I purchased non DOT approved offroad motorcycle bulbs and reflectors and put them in the car. They are 80/100w. Seems like with all the HID and Xeon(?) bulbs in the pricey Euro cars now that annoyingly bright headlights are more and more common. Same issue as the motorcycle, lighting is a safety issue in this small car. Lighting is 100% improved with these extra bright lights. I did quite a bit of reading up on this common miata mod before making the change. There was some concern about higher current draw on the wiring harness, and i probably wouldn't drive for extended periods with the high beams on, but so far the stock wiring has been fine, and it's been 3 years since the mod.
I wonder about putting the same bulb in my Shadow Spirit 1100. Anyone have experince with this?
Do a search on this board for headlight problems. I would be really leary of going to that high a wattage, as the wiring was designed for the 55/60. That's why I run a Silverstar, same wattage as factory with no fear of melting my wiring.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
when i still had the stock headlight i ran high all the time with the light adjusted down just a smidge so as not to offend oncomming traffic.

i personally hate poorly aimed lights. brightness is not so much the problem as it is a lack of aiming or a mismatch in vehicle height(thinking miata vs escallade).

as far as how to fix adjustments would be a good starting point. followed by the changing of the bulb to the silverstar(the silver star doesn't actually output more light per se more of the light it does make is in the usable part of the spectrum). you can also add lightbar for a traditional look.

now if you want some reallly effective lights you can change out the stock headlight for something completely custom light i did. or rather than a light bar use the same lights that come from a light bar and mount them low like on the peg mounts to create a triangle of light(think new goldwing with fog lights) the triangle of light is also extremely effective for seeing and being seen.

now a few words of caution as mentioned above it is bad practice to overdraw on any part of the stock wiring harness ie 85/100W bulb on the stock 55/60W harness and socket(read meltdown is emminent) do not wire the load portion of any new lighting onto the wiring of an existing lighting circuit. instead use the existing lighting circuit as the signal wire for your new harness(read the gonzo harness or one you make) to turn your new lights on.

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I like the VTX headlight, looks like it was made for the 1100 Spirit and is a direct bolt on. Bigger and more light, smarter looks.

For alleviating the current draw through the starter switch, try one of my Headlight harnesses....

http://www.gonzos-garage.com/bike/harness.htm

Gonz

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bulb H4ST

i went to advance auto.got the H4ST bulb for my spirit 1110..it was 19 dollars..no trouble to put in..

i was worried about reading you need BULB SHIM to use the H4ST bulb but it looked straight inside the lense..

H4ST also has on box that its for motorcycles..

thanks for help, it was terrible driving here in mountains of pa.on low beams..new brighter bulb should help..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts