Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the battery on my 95 VT1100 C2 has been leaving me stranded for the past few weeks (again) and I've been doing some diagnosis on it. I checked resistance on the yellow wires going to the stator/alternator and it'a according to spec (.3 ohm). I checked the voltage on the green wires going to the regulator/rectifier (which I should have continuity on when I ground on the frame?) and I get an overload reading. I hope that's my problem, can anyone confirm this?
When I charge my battery I read 12.6 to 12.7 volts, only 10 to 11 when running so obviously not enough to keep a charge. I don't mess with electrical stuff too often and only own a multimeter so I'm learning as I go through my Clymer manual!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Have you tested the regulator, should be in the manual. Sounds like something to do with the Regulator/rectifier. Whats voltage at 2000 rpm? Connector on the yellow wires lokk like its been getting hot? what voltage is your meter set at?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Here, read this - Charging System Diagnostic - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade. -on how to check the charging system so you know what's bad and what's not. It's one of three things (or all three in some cases) that can be wrong. The stator, regulator or the wiring between them and the battery. Those are all weak spots and can be upgraded to a better, more efficient charging system that will let you use accessories and not run your battery down while riding. >PD<

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did test the regulator but I will again to make sure I had a good ground. I think before I replace anything I'm going to clean all the connections and use some dielectric grease on everything.
I also remembered I used to have a pair of running lights on (which I removed) and I still have the wiring hanging there, that may eliminate some drain on the battery if I remove it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts