Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or how to launch a Beemer without really trying......

On our ride to the Gampians with the Ron, Annie and Ron's riding 'mates' (not sure I will ever be comfortable with the word 'mate' when referring to male friends.....but it sure is a common term used in that part of the world) we were riding hard all afternoon having marvelous time, stopping for lunch at the pub. Seeing all kinds of wildlife, except kangaroos, interesting mountain ranges (the Gampians) and new growth on the trees from the previous years forest fires.

We even stopped to do some shopping....ok that wasn't my cup of tea, but the ladies sure enjoy it, and anytime you can make a wife happy that will ride all over hell and back on her own bike with you, it's a good thing!

So we were riding on some of the OTR's (see previous post about the road surface in the near-outback parts of Victoria AU), we came across a wallaby sitting on a side road just before the next turn off we were going to take. We slowed had a look and me, Merry, Annie and Ron - the offical danforth's of the group, stopped to chat about it, while the main-liners went zooming down the OTR.

I was pretty stoked, since a wallaby is really half a kangroo and the only glimpse I have had of any type of roo in 3k miles and 7 days of riding......oh the AU gov't places a lot of roo crossing signs on the road sides.....but it is all a hoax.

So being an experienced dirt rider and riding a psuedo-dirt bike, I thought as I took off in the gravel/dirt portion of the road I would spray some gravel toward the group, and maybe spin a wheel on the bitumen when I hit it as I took off.

Keep in mind I have ridden this bike for over 3k kilometers, accelerated it about as fast as it could go on several occasions even lifted the front wheel once (with a little pull back on the bars help) just to see what it would do....

It's a heavy bike, not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination and has a shaft drive, and almost everyone knows shaft drive will lift the rear-end and spin a tire before it will try to lift the front end. Also keep in mind I weigh half as much as the bike so it should be pretty well grounded for this manuever.

Only a few feet prior to the bitumen I rev it up a bit, drop the clutch and launch it in the gravel - and it is doing a nice dirt burn out, but when the rear wheel hits the bitumen my left foot hasn't locked on the right peg and suddenly the original plan has gone awry.....the little windscreen is climbing up over my head and I am seeing bright blue sky through it......followed by front fender - not good, oh no not good at all, especially since I have a $2k bond on the bike (meaning I have a 2000 dollar stake in the bikes final condition when I return it to the rental company).

Being an ex-dirt rider, you know never to let go until the wheels are no longer in contact with the ground, so I am currently 50% to the good. (Talk about a glass half full mentality)

The right leg flails out and slams into the protruding cylinder head and the bike leans hard right (basically the bike followed the leg) as the front wheel comes crashing back to earth and the bike lands and is at a steep angle leaning right. I counter steer in an attempt to straighten it out, and of course oversteer to the left starting the makings of a slow speed tank slapper.

The next couple of occillations takes me toward the right shoulder and the bike is now going into the weeds along the side of the road toward a barbed-wire fence.

I had a cousin (40 some years old) try to ride a 1972 Suzuki TS-185 through a barbed wire fence once - and the fence won-well at least the fence didn't have to go the hospital and get stitches and leg cast.....but I digress.

The next occilation or two is less severe the ground feels soft and the $2000 bond is now not looking more like $500......or the glass is almost full.

The soft ground also helps the bike to straighten out, and in 'true to form' dirt riding fashion I now change to the 'When in doubt accelerate out' mode of thinking by applying some throttle as the bike points back toward the road, and the bike recovers. I accelerate smoothly out of the soft grass back on the road and head up OTR like nothing happened.

A kilometer or so up the road and at about the same time the adrenalin is beginning to squelch, I hear my wife laughing into the Collet communicator.....and she says way to ride-em Bronco Billy! :oops:

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I can say Chuck is just as well Ron and I weren’t set up to communicate with you because there is no way in a blue a$$ed fit you would have understood our Aussie talk for describing what you had just done :D .…followed by hysterical laughter for the next two or three kilometers once we knew that beast was back on the road safe and sound. :lol: :lol:

Just as well you didn’t see a full sized Roo, if seeing a wallaby sent you into this sort of stunt mode I don’t want to even begin to imagine what stunt you would have done on seeing a big red Roo :shock: :p .

Cheers
Annie

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is there a vid of this on YouTube? :lol: BTW, glad you kept it upright and you both are home safely! Loved the Blogs by Merry too!

Radar

·
Registered
296 Posts
Talk about a quick change of emotions. :?

First thought ............ OMG, this is going to hurt. How are we going to cary a 6 foot 6 American to Hospital?

Than after he rescued the Wild Beast ............ LOL, that was so Funny. My ribs are hurting from luaghing so hard. :lol:

Sure are glad you didnt come to grief Chuck :D . We sure did have a good laugh about it at our next stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts