Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all fellow members,

I am interested in lowering my bike, and have been looking at the progressive 412 shocks. My question is the factory shocks are 11 3/4 bolt to bolt, and i see an 11 inch replacement shock. A 3/4 of an inch difference in shock length would reduce the overall height of the bike by how many inches. And do i also have to lower the forks. If so do i lower the front 1 inch or 2 inches. Thanks any help is appreciated. Paul

·
Registered
121 Posts
And you thought trigonometry was a waste of time!

I looked at this exact question, took some measurements on my Spirit, did a bunch of calculations, and came up with:

Spring length-----------Drop of axle (inches) compared to stock
11.75 (stock)--------------0
11.5--------------------------0.4
11----------------------------1.18
10.5-------------------------1.97
10---------------------------2.76
9.5--------------------------3.56

Somewhere in there, the tire will bottom out against the fender.

Some assumptions were made, but I think this is accurate (without removing the shocks and making actual measurements)

Good Luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the 11 inch 412's and the front fork lowering springs and it lowered the bike about 2 inches. HUGE improvement!

and damn I love your yellow bike!

·
Registered
119 Posts
steeeve said:
southernspirit said:
HUGE improvement!

quote]

What improved? Handling? If so in what way? or were you going for looks, seat height or something else?
Huge improvement in handling. Rides like it is on a rail! The twisties are much more fun and the bike's response is tons better. I wasn't going for looks really, I just wanted a better suspension. the stock shocks really wallowed in the corners and very unsettling to me. I'm more for aggressive riding anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts