Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first sat on my VT1100C3 I was able to put both feet on the ground easily.

Then I put the proper amount of air in the tires my heels are slightly in the air. Yes I'm shorter than normal.

The rear shock preload is adjustable, though the spanner wrench they say is in the tool bag isn't in there. It is set at the highest right now, will setting it lower make it ride lower or is it just a stiffness of ride setting?

I don't want to get radical with it but if I could bring it an inch down in the back AND the front it would be cool. Are there preload springs in the forks or kits that can bring it down slightly?

Thanks-
Jim

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
324 Posts
It will drop it a little bit under static load. When you sit on it at the lower setting it will drop more. Lowering the front is a bit more involved. You could cut the spacers inside the tubes. It's probably not necessary if you get the rear down a bit, though.

Dave Moss is one of the best at explaining suspension setup. He talks about sport bikes, but the same principles apply to all bikes.

How and why to change your fork setup

As for not having the tool, you could order one online if you like, but you just need a way to grab the cover and turn it without scratching it up. Maybe some kind of strap wrench?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good suggestions, I have a small chain wrench which is a strap wrench with a .... chain instead, I'll couple it with a belt and see what happens. Thanks guys, I'll watch that video too.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,898 Posts
It's easy to adjust the shocks if you take the load off the back end.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a Harbor Freight about 10 minutes from my house, I'll pick up a set for future adjustments. Thank you.

I looked at the forks and though it looks like you can do that I think there might be a problem using the chrome cover. I'll try it the next chance I get thank you.

·
Registered
960 Posts
There's a Harbor Freight about 10 minutes from my house, I'll pick up a set for future adjustments. Thank you.

I looked at the forks and though it looks like you can do that I think there might be a problem using the chrome cover. I'll try it the next chance I get thank you.
Sorry, I didn't think about the fork tube covers, as my bike does not have them.
You should be good though, and only lower one fork tube at a time to avoid a sudden drop!!
jmo,

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
I can grab the shock at the bottom and turn it by hand/ No Tool Needed...
The saddlebags get in the way now though, BUT It CAN be done...
Stairstepping it to the highest/shortest position is a lot EASIER than Lifting it to the Lowest/longest,
Dennis

Highest is less tension on the spring

EDIT >
OH AND Stairstep it > > Do NOT let it JUMP to the highest from the lowest, I`ve seen the "stop" broken off when a fella did that

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been adjusted, I used a chain wrench and an emery strip sand toward wrench. I did go one at a time, I read that in an article a few days ago and actually retained it. Unusual for me.

If you can move them by hand, remind me to never mess with you :)

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,063 Posts
The block that the spanner wrench engages usually has a hole that the spanner wrench engages. In the past I have used a piece of round rod or an Allen wrench put in that hole to assist in turning the adjustment sleeve.

Yeah, I know, lots of help after you got it adjusted.

Did it make a difference for you??

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The block that the spanner wrench engages usually has a hole that the spanner wrench engages. In the past I have used a piece of round rod or an Allen wrench put in that hole to assist in turning the adjustment sleeve.

Yeah, I know, lots of help after you got it adjusted.

Did it make a difference for you??

Eric
Thanks Eric, I really don't know yet the seat isn't back on LOL. I have to put the bags back on before the seat, I want to spray off the white on the tire first which will be easier with the bags off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or a cheap strap wrench:
Rubber Strap Wrench Set, 2 Pc. (harborfreight.com)
And the fork tubes can be moved up in the triple trees to lower the front.
jmo,
I tried this and you were spot on. With the springs at lightest and the fork move I can more than flat foot it but I can't park it LOL the kickstand only works with the wheel to the left. Would tip easily I need to put a shorter kickstand on it before I leave it like that.

Going to look for some lower rear shocks too so I can go with less low in the front. Currently dropped a full 2 inches would rather 1 and 2 in the back.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
Years ago, there was a "bracket" which allowed the rear shocks to be moved back a couple inches...
It attached to the shock bottom mount and the mount on the swingarm...
I dunno IF they`re still available though???
I`ll check IF I can find it...

You might consider running the minimum PSI in the tires, It COULD make parking a little easier...
When I back my Baby off the lift, I hafta push the bike uphill slightly...
I CAN do that, Flat footed,
Dennis

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm. Funny you posted this I was just 5 seconds ago looking at the lower shock mounts to see if there is hope. I'm taking the seat off today I'll look at the uppers too. Maybe lean them a little more and tighten the spring back up. Good stuff Captain!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked in every manual I could download and nowhere does it say the length of the shock. I see several replacement shocks between 11.5 and 12.75 inches if the stock ones are 12.75 ish the short ones would be 1.25 inches shorter...

I'll measure one while it is off and post it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I tried this and you were spot on. With the springs at lightest and the fork move I can more than flat foot it but I can't park it LOL the kickstand only works with the wheel to the left. Would tip easily I need to put a shorter kickstand on it before I leave it like that.

Going to look for some lower rear shocks too so I can go with less low in the front. Currently dropped a full 2 inches would rather 1 and 2 in the back.

Thanks for the suggestion!

View attachment 301929
Wow, OK
You moved those fork tubes up a lot right there, I was thinking more like a 1/2 to 1 inch max.
I had that kickstand issue on a lowered bike before and just rolled the back wheel up onto a 2x4 to get more lean-over when parked.
I cut and angle on one end of that 2x4 so it would easier to roll up on.
jmo,

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
Oh the Memories are Vivid...
Back in the late 70s I "Cussed `emized my 1971 CB750-4, Cut the frame, inserted two pipes welded them into the frame "backbone" down to the swingarm, attached the pipes, there with bolts...

I didn`t make the kickstand shorter, I merely got me a "Kick Block" = a 2x4x4 & chain to keep it with me IF I forgot to pick it up ;)

I had 5-1/2" clearance to the 4 pipes,
Dennis

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, OK
You moved those fork tubes up a lot right there, I was thinking more like a 1/2 to 1 inch max.
I had that kickstand issue on a lowered bike before and just rolled the back wheel up onto a 2x4 to get more lean-over when parked.
I cut and angle on one end of that 2x4 so it would easier to roll up on.
jmo,
LOL you have no idea.... 5' 5-1/2" and most of it is torso which is almost normal human size but legs are short. I actually wanted a gold wing but my feet needed glasses to see the ground.

I'm thinking I need to mount something to the protruding fork to make it look normal, like hang a sock on it or use it for a toilet paper holder in cast the bike takes a ****.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts