Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum and a few others and have not found this question addressed, so here it is.

2005 Shadow Aero 750 (Shaft Drive)

Will I damage the shaft drive or U-joint if I install struts WITH a lowering kit?
I already had the lowering kit installed and decided to "hardtail" it with struts as well.
I've read that the struts are made to the lowest specs you can SAFELY go, but that's installing them at the factory shock mounting points, not with the lowering kit.

I already installed them (see photos) and the rear fender does not rub on the tire, and I've noticed no difference in acceleration or anything else when it comes to riding it (except for the obvious lack of rear suspension).

The drive shaft is at a slight angle coming from the transmission now, but nothing too extreme. Plus the drive shaft is made to flex a bit..

Again, I've done a lot of research and have not found this question asked before.

Should I be concerned I'm damaging the drive shaft, or roll with it and be good?

Please chime in if you have any useful info to offer.
Thanks!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Tread Sleeve Waist

·
Registered
846 Posts
1) Will I damage the shaft drive or U-joint if I install struts WITH a lowering kit?

2) Should I be concerned I'm damaging the drive shaft, or roll with it and be good?

3) Please chime in if you have any useful info to offer.
1) NO

2) NO, roll with it.

3) Man, you younger folks that still have the ability to 'cowboy up' for a ride like that. I am jealous (and old and can't do it anymore).

Enjoy your ride,
John

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,371 Posts
Back in the 80s there wasn`t anything aftermarket, therefore NO SPECS...

I Made my own struts for 1971 CB 750 FOUR from 1/4"x1" flat bar...( and no shocks lowering kit)
Looking GOOD @SonicAero
@"Captain D"

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,291 Posts
I made my own struts for absolute minimal clearances and max lowering and they’ve been fine for thousands of miles. Run with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts