Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is not too stupid, but how do you lubricate bike cables? I thought that I heard somewhere that there is an aerosol spray with some sort of adapter or something.
Anyway, any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You heard right... :)

I lubed mine a couple months ago. I got the kit from the dealer. You have to remove one end of the cables (upper end is best), secure the lubing fitting over it, and shoot it with the lube until you just detect it coming out the other end. It's messy, the fitting didn't seal up real tight for me. Also, cable lube will continue to drip out the lower end of the cable for quite some time. It does work, though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like to lubricate control cables the old fashion way, with a few drops of light weight oil from a squirt can. I loosen the cable adjustment enough to gain access to the cable, put a few drops on the cable and call it good. The oil will work its way down the cable while in use. This method worked before dealers started selling aerosol spray lubes.
I don’t like to over lubricate cables and have lube dripping out the bottom end.

To clean and lube speedometer and tachometer cables, I like to remove the cable, spray brake cleaner down thru the cable housing, blow dry with compressed air, clean the cable with brake cleaner, and cover the cable with white lithium grease before replacing.

To avoid problems with cables, do not wash your bike with a high pressure washer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Cable lube

Does anyone still use graphite, or that dinosaur technology now?

John

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
gotopage69 said:
I like to lubricate control cables the old fashion way, with a few drops of light weight oil from a squirt can.
Yeah, I would tend to agree with you on this....... I'm not knocking the cable lube adapters or aerosol cans, but in the case of control cables, when it comes to lubrication; IMHO "Less" is better and a few drop from a squirt can every once in a while seems to do the trick for me!

Over lubricating doesn’t make things slide any better but it does attract dirt and grime and that’s why I said: less is better.
Phil

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
Re: Cable lube

Olivereaman said:
John
John,
I used to use a graphite product called: "Dri-Slide" on my bicycle but I think they changed the formula and it no longer contains graphite.

Too bad......That stuff was incredible! If I had it today, I would use it in a heartbeat on my motorcycles control cables. The can came with a long needle tip applicator which made it very easy to apply. It flowed nicely and the liquid evaporated very quickly leaving a nice thin coat of graphite.
Phil

·
Registered
209 Posts

Phil said:
Olivereaman said:
John
John,
I used to use a graphite product called: "Dri-Slide" on my bicycle but I think they changed the formula and it no longer contains graphite.

Too bad......That stuff was incredible! If I had it today, I would use it in a heartbeat on my motorcycles control cables. The can came with a long needle tip applicator which made it very easy to apply. It flowed nicely and the liquid evaporated very quickly leaving a nice thin coat of graphite.
Phil
Phil,

Whew, I was almost afraid to admit that I still did things the old fashioned way. I've used graphite since my Dad introduced it to me probably 50 years ago. Bicycle chains, cables, door locks, hinges, ect. Sometimes it gets mixed with oil, sometimes grease and sometimes it's used just by itself.

I was starting to get scared that I may have outlived my era. Thanks for letting me know there is at least one more 'out there'.

John

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I agree with "Phil" on this one. I tried the "cans" and sprayed everything but the cables! :x Rather use graphite when I see some on a shelf in a store but oil will do nicely. It's getting harder for us "dinosaurs" who know things that still work. :roll: :lol: :lol:

I try to use 10w or 20w....seems to flow better with my method of oiling. I pull the cables out of it's mounting (whatever bike) and then I have a small diameter "sleeve" that I put on and then wrap with some plastic wrap and rubber bands. I put the oil in the "funnel type thingy" and then let it drain down thru the cables over night. Re-attach cables and work the cables. Look for drips/drops...clean...all done.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have a can of good ole 3 in 1 oil, couple of drops from the top, gravity does what it always has done, lasts forever.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Phil said:
Olivereaman said:
John
John,

Phil
A friend of mine has cable lube that is applied with a long slender needle you slide in between the cable and jacket. I don't know if it has Graphite in it or not, but I sure like the application method better than aerosol. He said he found his at a H-D dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts