Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last day of operation of LA Central Dojo, word circulated around SoCal that a special final training would be held, all who had ever trained or called this home were welcomed Many returned to one
afternoon (grapes, mangos, watermelon, nectarines, etc.) and eat a salad for all, while others cannot stop earing. forget your neck and the thin skin of
I found out several things from my time spent in Iraq I was in the 3rd Infantry Division, who lead the invasion of Iraq When we got into Bagdhad and set up camp, a lot of Iraqi civilians would come
I actually see a lot of work come into our corporate offices near Philadelphia, PA in simple Chinese and Mandarin It is amazing how much of our corporate sourcing takes place through a field office

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So she has a Sabre correct?
There is NO valve adjustment!

Check out my link below my sig pic, when you get to the home page look to the left at the side links, check out the one called "VT1100 Engine noise"
MarkC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, It is definitely an upper engine tick, and I would put it in the loud category. The VTXs have a valve tick when the valves are adjusted properly, and I know what a slight valve tick sounds like. This is really quite a bit loader than normal. I also notice a very slight cough in the exhaust as the noise becomes louder. I run Mobile1 Gold Cap synthetic in this bike, and my own.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
cybrhick said:
Well, It is definitely an upper engine tick, and I would put it in the loud category. The VTXs have a valve tick when the valves are adjusted properly, and I know what a slight valve tick sounds like. This is really quite a bit loader than normal. I also notice a very slight cough in the exhaust as the noise becomes louder. I run Mobile1 Gold Cap synthetic in this bike, and my own.
Check your exhaust pipes to make sure they are snug at the mounting flange at the head.

An exhaust leak can sound very much like a valve tick and I've seen
many of people mistake an exhaust leak for valve ticks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
litnin said:
cybrhick said:
Check your exhaust pipes to make sure they are snug at the mounting flange at the head.

An exhaust leak can sound very much like a valve tick and I've seen
many of people mistake an exhaust leak for valve ticks.
Nope, not an exhaust leak. Pipes are properly torqued and everything. Besides, an exhaust leak would cause decel backfire. I can actually feel the tick (almost a knock at this volume) when I put my hand on the head.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Cyberhick,

After changing to Synth, I would get a loud tick when it was getting close to time to change the oil. Level would be fine, so the only thing I can think is a narrow passageway. My tick would come and go for a bit then set in real bad for a minute...then go away once I changed the oil. You might try changing the oil in the bike and see if that takes care of it.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
cybrhick said:
Nope, not an exhaust leak. Pipes are properly torqued and everything. Besides, an exhaust leak would cause decel backfire. I can actually feel the tick (almost a knock at this volume) when I put my hand on the head.
An exhaust leak will not always cause a popping on decel...

Being able to feel the tick, I doubt you are feeling a valve tick.
You wouldn't be able to feel valve tick.

You might be getting some piston slap, the timing chain might be loose
and slapping, or the primary drive gear could be making nosie.

It could also simply be the oil you are using.
Some oils have better sound deadening qualities. Try changing brands
of oil and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
cybrhick said:
Okay, I've been going through some old post :shock: and I found this one I thought you may find interesting.
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28052
MarkC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, Mark, now that is some info I can work with. Gonna give the Seafoam a shot, and I'll let ya know what I find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
cybrhick said:
Alright, Mark, now that is some info I can work with. Gonna give the Seafoam a shot, and I'll let ya know what I find out. Thanks.
Also, don't toss Litnin's idea (possibility) of an exhaust leak out the window. A tiny leak at the manifold gasket can sound like an internal engine noise.
MarkC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MarkC said:
cybrhick said:
Also, don't toss Litnin's idea (possibility) of an exhaust leak out the window. A tiny leak at the manifold gasket can sound like an internal engine noise.
MarkC
I am positive that it is not an exhaust leak. I will be doing the Seafoam. What oil would you recommend for the Seafoam? I would assume a cheap grade oil since I will only be running it a few miles. I don't think I want to dump $15 dollars worth of oil out after just a few miles, unless it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
cybrhick said:
I am positive that it is not an exhaust leak. I will be doing the Seafoam. What oil would you recommend for the Seafoam? I would assume a cheap grade oil since I will only be running it a few miles. I don't think I want to dump $15 dollars worth of oil out after just a few miles, unless it is absolutely necessary.
Well, if the oil that's in the bike NOW isn't well used I would just use that.
You can remove the oil filter and only about six oz's of oil will come out. Drain the oil filter and put it back on. Do the math and figure how much Seafoam you need to mix with 3 quarts of oil, add the Seafoam, run the bike, and change the oil and filter.

Now if the oil in the bike is really old and getting dirty, then just buy some 10W-40 Forumla Shell oil, or some 10W-40 Havoline and go for it. (don't be suprised if the bike seems to like either of these oils)
It still may get down to switching brands or types of oil.
Also, when you drain the oil look VERY close at the old oil to see if it has any metal shavings in it (its not likely, but it has happened)
MarkC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts