Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my trial by fire ride went ok. Went around a couple of blocks right around where I bought it to familiarize myself with it a little before I took it on the main roads and did ok, only stalled it a couple of times and I think that was mostly due to the carbs needing cleaned, or at least I hope thats all it is. He said he usually has to run it with the choke somewhere in the middle of full on and full off which Im sure isnt good. I also seem to remember a clicking noise once in awhile from the rear wheel area but to be honest, I was more worried about getting home and not killing my self so I wasnt really listening to noises, but that one popped out at me so I remember it. Not all the time, and I believe it was when I was just getting moving.

The other thing I need to figure a fix for is the shifter pedal, was very very hard to get my foot under there to shift without sitting forward quite a bit and bending my leg a bunch.

Seemed to run a little hot? Not sure where they normally run, or should run, but mine was about 3/4s of the way up the guage.

All in all it was a great experience, felt weird leaning it over as much as I had to to turn, my first turn almost put me in a curb lol. At least I didnt dump it today!

I usually do quite a bit of searching on topics before I ever ask about them so Im going to check into cleaning the carbs, but anything else that might cause a stumble on acceleration, hard start when it stalls, and having to play with the throttle when taking off from a stop? Had to play with it a bunch and had to over rev it to get it going it seemed, thank god Im a pro with the stick shift in my car..

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Take the carbs off and clean them. Are you sure you were in first gear taking off.

You can adjust the shift lever. The heat gauge I have no idea.

What year and model bike did you purchase. Has the bike sat for any length of time.

Just need a little more info. Buy the way welcome to the forum. With a little help from others on the forum we will get you riding again with out all the other problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement :D Its an 83 Shadow 500. Pretty sure I was in first, I know for a fact there was once where I wasnt though, after that I made sure I hit it a few extra times to make sure while I was waiting for light. Bike was run a couple of times last year, and they owned it for 3 yrs, but hasnt been run much at all. I know it still had some old gas in it, but he filled it with fresh before I picked it up. Has new plugs, oil change last year and air filter, but he never flushed the coolant or messed with the carbs.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
I have an 83 750 so almost the same bike but my temp. gauge will be around 1/2 to 3/4 also. Check the level and condition of the coolant and see if you can get the radiator fan to come on about close to the red zone (a little over 3/4 )and it probably is good to go.
If it still has the center stand pull it up on that and run the bike in several gears with the rear wheel spinning to see if you can find the clicking noise.
Also check the rear diff. oil level or change it.
Maybe a double dose of seafoam will help the runability of the carbs.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Change the oil. Read the sticky for oil in the tech forum. It has a lot of great information.

Also you should start a new thread in the Tech forum with your questions. A whole lot more mechanical minded members are viewing that forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.