Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I owned a 1997 Honda Magna VF750 for some 20 years and just sold it thinking I was just getting too old to ride any more.
(age 72). Well, after a short time, the "riding bug" bit me again and I regretted my decision to sell the Magna which I loved. So, I bought a used 2015 Honda Shadow Aero 745 cc with under 4000 miles, thinking that it would be very similar to the Magna which I sold. Although the Shadow is fine, I think I liked the Magna more. The Magna seemed to ride a lot smoother, shift smoother and have more torque. Are my conclusions correct? Which is the better bike? Any opinions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
2,997 Posts
I think I liked the Magna more. The Magna seemed to ride a lot smoother, shift smoother and have more torque. Are my conclusions correct? Which is the better bike? Any opinions? Thanks!
Riding smooth, and shifting smooth is a matter of personal opinion based on a whole host of factors that have to deal with rider preferences. Neither bike is hands down 'better' than the other. It all boils down to what each individual likes and dislikes and expects from their bike.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had the Magna also. It is different. Gearing is different. The handling is different. I enjoyed it for short rides. Tried it for a couple long rides (300 miles one way) and decided it wasn't for me when riding long distance. I even prefered my Burgman & Silverwing for LD riding over the Magna. But for local riding it was a blast. As Chuck says, it depends on usage and preferences.
It's like asking which is better, a Mercedes or F150. The Mercedes won't do you much good if you are hauling things around the farm BUT you know where it does shine. (y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
To me, the Magna seemed like an all out engineering effort to create a high powered muscle cruiser. I put it into the same general type as the Yamaha V Max.

Shadow seems like an effort to muscle into the US Vee twin market, and part of that was to produce at a certain price point. Especially after the engines were redesigned for the 95 model year, the character of the machines is that of a lower revving, long running cruiser. I'm all for it, give me an engine with one carb to clean that will run 200,000 miles without much fuss and I'm happy.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
The later 90’s Shadow and Magna are worlds apart, the Magna has power on reserve with the performance oriented 90 degree V4 which gives it plenty of overtaking speed and it will top 100mph pretty easily. The Shadow will cruise great at 55-65mph but by no means was it built for speed or performance with the 52 degree V-twin, you would be hard pressed to get a bone stock Shadow 750 over 100mph going downhill but what it lacks in power it makes up for with good economy, ease of maintenance and longevity. There are a select few of us here that choose to add some performance to the anemic Shadow 750 engine but IMO we’re probably all a little crazy for it.

Now If you thought the 97 Magna 750 had some grunt, don’t throw a leg over an old 83-85 V65 Magna 1100... it’ll ruin you on power in a cruiser frame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my neck of the woods, (chicago), it seems like the Magna is a well kept secret.

Over the last month, I've seen half a dozen Magnas from V32 to V65, but mainly V45s, offered up for $1000 to $2500, some in pretty nice cosmetic condition, and none with more than 50K miles.

Shadows, on the other hand, aren't usually priced at less than $3K for the 750 and 1100 and $2500 for the VL600C.

I can't see any reason to not have both.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a V-30,V-65 and now a Shadow 750. The V-30 red lined at something like 12,500 rpm and was a great light to light bike. V-65? never had that much power before. No need to ever down shift, what ever gear you were in just grab a handfull of throttle and your gone. Now I have the shadow and am always wondering if it sat too long with the old owner and got the jets gummed up because if just doesn't seem like it has the power it should. I can under stand that the 65 felt alot more powerfull but I swear, the little 500 on the V-30 would eat the Shadow alive.
With all that being said, on longer rides I have to stop about once an hour with the 30 and 65. The shadow feals like I could ride for a couple of hours, although I haven't tried it yet. Biggest problem I'm running into with the Shadow is my right arm goies to sleep after about 15 minutes of riding. Mostly because of nerve damage in the right shoulder.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I have had a V-30,V-65 and now a Shadow 750. The V-30 red lined at something like 12,500 rpm and was a great light to light bike. V-65? never had that much power before. No need to ever down shift, what ever gear you were in just grab a handfull of throttle and your gone. Now I have the shadow and am always wondering if it sat too long with the old owner and got the jets gummed up because if just doesn't seem like it has the power it should. I can under stand that the 65 felt alot more powerfull but I swear, the little 500 on the V-30 would eat the Shadow alive.
That's because it would. Your V30 had 64 hp.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's because it would. Your V30 had 64 hp.
Yeah, the V30 would destroy a 97+ Shadow 750. Better gearing, more power and twice as much RPM. The 750 Shadow bone stock is just that slow, haha.

Reactions: Chuck_Michigan

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Yeah, the V30 would destroy a 97+ Shadow 750. Better gearing, more power and twice as much RPM. The 750 Shadow bone stock is just that slow, haha.
My Spirit 1100 is the same way. Slow. And to tell you the truth, I like it that way. I've never had much impulse control and knowing my Spirit is just a lumbering, low compression cruiser prevents me from acting the fool at every stop light when pulled up to another bike. I get to drive it like the old man I am.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My Spirit 1100 is the same way. Slow. And to tell you the truth, I like it that way. I've never had much impulse control and knowing my Spirit is just a lumbering, low compression cruiser prevents me from acting the fool at every stop light when pulled up to another bike. I get to drive it like the old man I am.
Same, there is a reason I don’t own a sport bike like a CBR or higher volume sport touring ride, I’ve had my insane fun and I know my limits, a V65 Magna would be a bad bad idea for me, the Shadow keeps me sane and helps keep the speed curtailed. You need a boatload of self control on anything with two wheels but if you can self limit you’re going the right direction IMO.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,465 Posts
I have a problem where fast starts to feel normal after a while, I don't feed that animal anymore.

There is also a certain amount of fun adding a 20% increase in power to something that is inherently slow like my Shadow.
It is hard to quantify the entertainment it provides, but for some of us it definitely exists. (-;
I think in my case maybe it is partly a gesture to that animal that I don't feed.

There are a lot of off the shelf alternatives, some of which will go to plaid right out of the box.
They might not be affordable new, but used bike prices can often get them there quite quickly.
It really is a mental battle every day, maybe the Shadow is my "medication".

The Shadow is good at filling my motorcycling needs from highway runs to small grocery grabs and comfortable fun while doing it, a damn good compromise of a bike.

·
Registered
2013 Shadow Spirit 750
82 Posts
Same, there is a reason I don’t own a sport bike like a CBR or higher volume sport touring ride, I’ve had my insane fun and I know my limits, a V65 Magna would be a bad bad idea for me, the Shadow keeps me sane and helps keep the speed curtailed. You need a boatload of self control on anything with two wheels but if you can self limit you’re going the right direction IMO.
I've noticed that since I returned to motorcycling, I am driving the car much faster than I used to. I think with the fact that I'm wrapped in metal, I'm not getting the same rush and being out on the bike...so faster I go.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,260 Posts
I"m either used to revving higher or my Spirit 1100 was modified by the PO. I take off and I like the pull, I usually shift at 25-30 mph into 2nd. Going into 3rd anywhere from 45-55mph depending if I am poking around or accelerating. 4th I may cruise at 50-55 but if accelerating I may go up to 70mph before hitting 5th. The bike really likes to cruise at 80mph. Below 70 mph if you need to accelerate there is no power and you have to drop a gear to take off. If cruising at 80 you can hammer it and take off if you need to. I have heard those Magnas are nice machines.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,557 Posts
If I was to buy a 750 I'd buy a Magna. Bigger Honda, VTX 1300 (slowest) or a Valkyrie. The perfect big bore vtwin, Indian.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts