Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an 84 magna rebuilt for my son. What things would you definitely include-in the rebuild? So far the frame is going to be powder coated, 83 carbs will be used, wheels from an 83 will be used, the forks shortened, the frame gusseted, stainless nut, bolt, and screw kit. What else do you suggest, considering my main goal is to make a scoot that is responsive, safe, dependable, and that will have longevity? I remember hearing of hard pistons that cause less friction. Oh, I'm also getting the DRP oiler mod. kit put on it. Mr. D is doing the job. I don't want to get it home and find something that should have been done that was not done. Can you give me a list of what you would have done, keeping in mind I am disabled and limited when it comes to turning a wrench. I would like to just look at the main engine components and say "this thing was done right. PS the guy doing the rebuild will attempt to set a new world record in the 750CC class at Bonneville Salt Flats, I believe this coming august.
3 mag

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a fine looking motorcycle you have there. Believe me, you would opt to do without a bike if it were a situation where you would be burdened with a father like me. It was a funny gesture you made anyway. Ride on.
3 mag

·
Registered
19 Posts
If Dave Dodge is doing the rebuild for you, have faith that all will be done correctly. Dave is HANDS DOWN the man when it comes to this bike.

Aside from the oil mod, make sure the fork brace is replaced or that a plate is used to reinforce its stability. Get rid of the bias tires and put on some Avons or another radial type tire. Give some thought to going with Progressive suspension instead of the stock suspension.

You could know absolutely zero about these bikes and can walk away knowing the job was done right if Dave is involved.

Edit: rectifier wires should be replaced / resoldered. This is a common problem with all mid-80's model Hondas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dave is definitely the man for Magna stuff. It's going to be one finely tuned machine by the time he's done. There's a few more mods that can be done ot hte magna, but not all are necessary.

The stock cams were replaced in my Magna with newer, harder ones. Because of that (and becasue of advancements in oil since '83) I never bothered with the oil mod. Wasn't necesary.

Corbin seat is a very nice add-on. Very comfortable. Definitely go with some Progressive shocks & springs (if available) to improve handling and feel.

Besides for that, more life insurance? Those bikes are the love child of a raped ape and a bat out of Hell! I remember one time I cracked open the throttle leaving my old shop. Had it up to 50 miles in no time in third gear, with 5K still to go on the tach before it redlined, and three more gears to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts