Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the hubby & I got into tearing the 84 shadow 700 down yesterday, and the main fuel hose was melted on! We actually had to cut it off to get the tank off the bike. Does anyone know where to pick up another main (big) fuel hose coming off the bottom of the tank?

On a positive note we found the fuel leak which will be easly replaced with some more fuel line coming off the reserve tank. The bad news is it had been jerry-rigged by removing the entire fuel cut off switch. We've currently tracked one down on ebay to set her back up right. Another positive is we were able to put her on the battery jump and spray the carbs with starting fluid and fire her up for a sec. No siezed motor as she roared to life for a moment. The carbs actually look pretty clean as well.

More updates and questions to come as they arise! Answers greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd go to oriellys or auto zone and look for options ... Lowes and home depot too ... Justify measure the line do you get the right size ... I had to get some weird coil thing to get the gas line from pinching ( a lot of older ones are molded ) the originals are pretty hard to find or expensive ...

I'll post what I got for my fuel line to keep it for pinching here in a few ...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
808 Posts
What do you mean by "big"? Lazurus has a hugeous piece of hose between the upper "decorative" tank and the main one down in the frame = Inside Diameter (I.D.) is about 1/2"
I found some at a Car Quest parts store.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fuel line

I had the same problem with my 86 vt700c. Went to local speed shop and got stainless steel braided fuel line. Used by many hot roders and race car builders. This stuff can be formed and routed without kinking. Use stainless hose clamps. Tip-tape where you are going to cut to keep braid from fraying. Do not cut with hack saw, use a cut-off wheel.(works much better). Make sure you get fuel line not oil line. Total cost less than $10.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Great info! I might get some of that once the old piece dies - already had to cut off a bad end but it was still long enough to work - for now.
25 year old rubber fuel line sometimes just dies...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me. We even have the same bike. I had to cut mine off and I took it to lowes. I compared it to some hose they use for ovens and gas and it was the exact same identical hose. Cost about a buck and a quarter a foot. They even have the smaller thinner fuel line and it's labeled as fuel line. Lowes is the best.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I will hafta look for that next time I am at Lowes - never even thought they would have fuel line, but then they sell mowers and such, so why not...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, we'll be taking a trip to lowes! We did check the auto stores, and they didn't have the right diameter. Hubby checked a Yamaha parts store near the house yesterday evening, and they were checking for us, and we were waiting on a price.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks a bunch! The hose we had to cut off was NOT the original hose either. It was clear plastic and either the fuel or heat (or both) had turned it into PVC. I'll check Home Depot and Lowes today. It should be easy to fit, I just didn't want to use some low grade junk that would eventually fail. Thanks again!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And also, we ended finding a larger diameter fuel hose at a marine store. Exact size we needed for just over $3., just to share the info that they can be found there as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This marine hose was gas and diesel rated and much thicker than the junk that was on there. It was a little rougher getting a larger clap to route under the seat bar but we managed to get it working. We ran all the new hoses and put about two gallons of fuel in last night. I didn't see any initial leaks so we fired it up after a few minutes of priming. It ran pretty good considering how cold it was outside and how long it's been since it ran. Still no fuel leaks. Today we'll tackle the clutch/brake fluid and coolant.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That will happen ( the clear turning hard and plastic after a few years ) to the clear/yellow fuel line from lowes and blah blah blah ... You'll be able to tell well ahead of time if you get into the good habit of checking every 6 months to a year ...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts