Honda Shadow Forums banner

Maintenance This Past Weekend

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  95shadow1099 
#1 ·
Did some maintenance on Big Blue this weekend, stuff that needed to be done since I bought it. Replaced the chain, as the one that came with it was absolutely shot!! While I was at it, I installed a 38T rear sprocket. Not sure I like it yet. Seems to be geared to high now. I also demounted the old rear Dunlop and installed a Metz in its place.

WHAT - A - B_I_T_C_H!!!!!

I was gonna take pics and do a How-To write up on changing a tire, but that thing kicked my little a$$!!! I think I took 3 pics and gave it up!! I destroyed my store-bought rim protectors! Found out that my tar arns weren't long enough to get any good leverage! And it isn't NEARLY as easy as they make it look on Youtube!!! My back is sore, my shoulders are sore, my hamstrings, etc etc from kneeling on the tire and rim trying to pry that D_A_M_N thing off!!!

But, alas, I did get it completed, it holds air, and saved $75 in 2 days worth of work. Will I do it again? yea, probably. Did I learn something? Yea, how NOT to change a tire!

See less See more
#3 ·
A local shop will change my front tire for $25 if I take them the rim. They'll pull the rear and change it (even install a 'gasp' car tire) for $50. Worth every penny so that my family and neighbors don't learn all the foul language that I know and would express if I tried to do the work myself. :shock:

#7 ·
all the shops around here charge ~$70 - $75 to change a tire. I don't know any one with a MC tire machine, I'm allergic to beer, and it DOES hold air!!! And I did it all by mysailf!! (well, with a bit of help from JACK!!!)

#9 ·
A local shop will change my front tire for $25 if I take them the rim. Worth every penny so that my family and neighbors don't learn all the foul language that I know and would express if I tried to do the work myself. :shock:
+100, exactly, my experience.

I actually get along well with the parts/service guys at my dealer. Very helpful, extremely knowledgeable, etc.etc.

BUT, there is a stealer on my side of the river that is worst I've ever seen. Arrogant, rude, WRONG, a$$holes. I know some of you guys have that to deal with in your area, therefore you stay away at all cost's.....pry yer own tire off :-o

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.