Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
one of the easiest ways to get a little bump outta your pipes is to stick a 12inch long, 1/2 drill bit up there and drill out both baffle plates. Besides that you might just want to keep the stocks the way they are till you can afford louder pipes. You might want them back on when you sell it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
about all I can say is WOW......

Let me think about the problem and get back to you on that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well you could drill them out.... but there is alot more to think about.... In most cases you would be ok not rejeting, but you are makeing a change on the air flow so you could run the chance of leaning it out too much. and if you happen to have a problm with it. then it could be alot harder to get it to run right.
so you could stand the chance to have a bike that you cant ride untel you can buy jets/pipes.

hope this helps. there is other posts about drilling them out hand how to you can read up on.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You could just take the mufflers off and leave them in the garage. That definitely makes it loud. And I'm pretty sure that honest to god straight pipes like that are usually illegal. Rejet for sure if you're going to ride it like that for long.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is the holesaw mod. You can find a number of threads by searching the forum. Here's a post from one of the threads:

darkholme888 said:

All I can say is, mmmm.... its good!

It deepened the sound enough for me, but it didnt make it overbearingly loud.

Just went for a 780 mile trip this weekend and it was not annoying at highway speeds for long times.

This is what I did though, I left the baffles alone, but cut out the resonator at the end of the pipe, and that made all the volume difference I needed.

check out these to sites to see the resonator and picture instructions on cutting it out.

http://www.shadowriders.net/holesaw.html

http://www.geocities.com/vtwinshadow/exhaust.html

Really simple, 2 1/8th inch holesaw, drill through till you feel it go through 2 thicknesses of metal, grab the little pipe at the end with some pliers, wiggle and pull and volay! deeper sound. I think it took me all of 20 minutes.

If this isnt loud enough for you, Then you can punch holes in the baffles further in the pipes. The resonators you can put back in with a bolt if you had to, or reweld them in if you dont like the sound.

Now afterward I had alot more popping on decelration, so I had to adjust my fuel mixture screw. Again, an easy task that only took a few minutes, but does require you to drill out the plug over the screw. Then I turned the screws in (have 1 screw for each carb) all the way and then back out to 3ish turns. factory setting is 2 1/2 turns.
Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
540 Posts
I put a bunch of baseball card on clothespins in the spokes, sounds apesh$t.
I was thinking of that too.....:D
1 I have pipes on the 750. so no go there.
2 the VTX doesnt have spokes so I think It might be more of a Thap thap thap sound, and not the great thrurrrrrrr sound on spokes so I'm still at a loss.
:)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Louder exhaust

Gee guys n' gals!! I used four empty "Pringle" cans, cut two of them down to half length left the other two full length. I also cold fused a couple of "Pepsi" tabs to all of the "Pringle" cans. After installing them on my 04 Sabre with the mag wheels, it came out with that mostly famous/infamous "Potato Potato Pop Pop sound that so many are crazy about! :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am sorta new to this posting thing. But I have owned a 2005 750 Spirit for two years and have put 20,000 miles on that bike in the two years that I have owned it. I also wanted loud pipes, but didn’t want to spend the kind of money for those after market pipes. I took first a ½” drill and drilled through both baffles. That was OK but still not loud enough. Then I got a bit the same size as the exit hole and went through again, that’s much better. Now though, I have noticed a significant reduction in top end power. I ordered a jet kit and am planning on installing in a couple of weeks. I found the kit on eBay for about $60. I am also doing a bunch of other mods as well, but I don’t know how they will pan out. All last season, I probably averaged 35MPG, so after the Jet kit, hoping to regain some power, the I am also putting 1 tooth less sprocket on the back to bring down the r’s a little at 75mph. But then I screwed up and ordered a180/70-15 rear tire instead of the 170/80-15 that I am currently running. I need to find a good tire calc. To see how much of a difference they are. Anyway, all I am saying is once you do one thing, it kinda a domino effect, always looking for new ways to improve this or that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
your young, listen to your question? when you drill out baffles and mess with your exhaust your looking for trouble, no matter what anyone tells you don't do it. You loose power and eventually you screw the motor, wait and do it right, why do you want it loud? i would rather have the performance with the nice sound of some good pipes. Always think before you act, reaction is faster than action.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.