Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the discussions about mandatory helmet laws, could you imagine the arguments if states made the following safety equipment mandatory for riding;

Mandatory DOT minimum helmets

Impact resistant goggles or full face shield EXCEPTION: not required for the operator if the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield that is equal in height to or above the TOP OF THE HELMET of the operator.

Brightly colored or contrasting vest or jacket as an outer upper garment during the day and reflective at night.

Long sleeved shirts or jackets, full fingered motorcycle gloves or mittens and long trousers.

Sturdy footwear.

These are just the minimum requirements of the AF (AFI 91-207). If I recall they also have a mandatory meeting every year for riders, for an example at Wright Patterson

"Brigadier General David Eichhorn, Aeronautical Systems Center vice commander, will host this year’s event, scheduled for Friday, May 19. Dr. Ray Ochs, Director of Training Systems for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, will be the featured speaker. The briefing, which begins at 9:30 a.m., is mandatory for all military riders and encouraged for all other base employees who are motorcycle enthusiasts."

Another good thing the AF is doing is organizing on base clubs, (again using Wright Pat as an example)

"The Wright Wriders is not a social riding club and does not require membership dues or regular attendance. Instead, the club is comprised of volunteer, base-affiliated motorcycle enthusiasts who maintain awareness of the base rider climate and provide organized events and information to foster learning. For more information about the Wright Wriders or the May 19 event, go to http://wrightwriders.wpafb.af.mil, "

Seems the military saw an increase in rider fatalaties and decided to be proactive. Could you imagine the uproar if states started increasing and making mandatory the minimum safety equipment and training riders are required to have.

Just some info I thought I'd share.

Sam
Just increasing the post count.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
As a member of the PGR I've seen this info before.

I find it laughable that an organizatioin whom, as a matter of course to their main pupose for existence, place their personnel in life or death battles in offense or defense of this country, is concerned about the slight risk posed to a small portion of their human property by motorcycle injuries.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gat803 said:
As a member of the PGR I've seen this info before.

I find it laughable that an organizatioin whom, as a matter of course to their main pupose for existence, place their personnel in life or death battles in offense or defense of this country, is concerned about the slight risk posed to a small portion of their human property by motorcycle injuries.
But while their people are placed in danger they are also issued and required to wear safety equipment. The safety rules/regs of the AF are written to protect the youngest most inexperienced airmen (as an example, when airing up an acft tire your required to wear goggles).

First time I went to the Motorcycle safety course as an AD member, we had an 18 or 19 year old there who as a first bike had a Suzuki GS1100. Without mandatory training, he may have never had any at all, could have ended up like the NBA star from Duke, learning in a parking lot, wrecking and destroying a career. Young, away from home for the first time with money can make people do dumb things as I'm sure you know.

The part I liked is the fact that they saw an increase in rider fatalaties and did something to try to counteract the rise.

As far as the main purpose for their existance, for the longest time it was more for a deterrance. It wasn't life or death battles that won the cold war, but I digress.

Hope it's dry where you are.

Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Linemech, we have very similar rules here at McChord AFB in Washington State. No annual meeting but all the other stuff. I think it helps save lives. I've worked for the D.O.D. for over 33 years and while I feel some of the overall safety rules come from a knee jerk reaction to some idiot's self inflicted injury I believe that the motoercycle rules are very benificial. Even for an old timer like me. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Linemech said:
With all the discussions about mandatory helmet laws, could you imagine the arguments if states made the following safety equipment mandatory for riding;
I'm guilty of satisfying almost every one of those requirements - all except for the brightly-colored jacket (but it does have a reflective stripe across the front and back - does that count?). :lol:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
gat803 said:
It isn't surprising or laughable at all to me. It is protecting valuable assets. I'll make you a bet that if you check into it the AF and other branches can tell you how much m/c accidents cost them. They don't like spending millions training pilots or anyone else and then losing that asset to accidents that are outside the scope of the mission. Just look at speed limits on most bases.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I spent 4 years in the Navy, and when you have self inflicted wounds or
injuries it is considered destruction of government property. I know
people who got wrote up for getting sun burned too badly to report
for duty. They take it very serious....

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Linemech said:

Mandatory DOT minimum helmets

Impact resistant goggles or full face shield EXCEPTION: not required for the operator if the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield that is equal in height to or above the TOP OF THE HELMET of the operator.
Both of these ARE required in Georgia.
I believe it states "Form of eye protection" instead of goggles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am under the impression that military folks can get VERY low insurance rates for their bikes under AF (AFI 91-207). Is there anything to this?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as discounts, not that I was aware of, but it would make sense. Just the discount for completing the safety course, and I think that goes for everyone. Of course it could have been one of the benefits I missed, just my luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts