Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider and just bought a 1983 Honda Shadow VT750c that needs a good amount of TLC. Many of the bolts on the bike show rust on the heads. I would like to replace them all.

So, is there anywhere that I can obtain a master bolts list for this bike so that I know which stainless vibra to replace them with?

Or are there just a set number of different bolt sizes that I can buy a bunch of and I will be ok?

Last but not least, does it matter his much torque I need to tighten the new bolts, or is it enough to just tighten them by hand?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unlike what your girlfriend tells you, when it comes to BOLT length, size DOES matter. I use the parts list on ANY Honda OEM parts website to know the correct length, then I buy stainless steel bolts at the local hardware store. Forget HomeDepot....they have very little metric choices. You can find SETS of stainless steel bolts that are sized for your bike on Ebay but you will still need the parts list and illustration to know what goes where.

Invest in a torque wrench and a service manual. They are invaluable. You do not want to trust your 'feel' when tightening bolts that are subject to vibration or attaching that soft, pliable aluminum.

I replaced ALL my Shadow's bolts with stainless steel and need only a 10mm open end wrench and a 5mm Allen key to do most any maintenance or repair.

ESPECIALLY change that 10mm acorn nut that secures the rectifier so it can be removed with an Allen key. Otherwise you will need a socket wrench to remove it. I learned THAT lesson the hard way when I left the parking light on by mistake and drained the battery overnight and didnt have the socket to remove the battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unlike what your girlfriend tells you, when it comes to BOLT length, size DOES matter. I use the parts list on ANY Honda OEM parts website to know the correct length, then I buy stainless steel bolts at the local hardware store. Forget HomeDepot....they have very little metric choices. You can find SETS of stainless steel bolts that are sized for your bike on Ebay but you will still need the parts list and illustration to know what goes where.

Invest in a torque wrench and a service manual. They are invaluable. You do not want to trust your 'feel' when tightening bolts that are subject to vibration or attaching that soft, pliable aluminum.

I replaced ALL my Shadow's bolts with stainless steel and need only a 10mm open end wrench and a 5mm Allen key to do most any maintenance or repair.

ESPECIALLY change that 10mm acorn nut that secures the rectifier so it can be removed with an Allen key. Otherwise you will need a socket wrench to remove it. I learned THAT lesson the hard way when I left the parking light on by mistake and drained the battery overnight and didnt have the socket to remove the battery.
Thanks for your help. I think I didn't explain myself well. I had meant to ask if there was a standard set of different bolt sizes so I could just do something like order a dozen of each. I would however make sure to put the correct size bolts in the right places.

I've been looking for website that lists the bolt size. I find diagrams and names of parts on the motorcycle but no reference to the bolt sizes. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Manual for your bike is located for FREE download in a "sticky" at the top of General Discussions page.

Each chapter list's torque value for each fastener, ALL are not even close to "created equal". Size... M5X0.8 for example...can't remember if it list's that info.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The 83 to 85 VT700c/750c has number of bolts that can be replaced at your local hardware store with stainless versions, but there are a few however that have non-standard hex-heads in regards to the shalf thickness or have non-standard shaft thickness in regards to the hex-head that it has.

Whatever you cannot find at the hardware store will need to be ordered online, I get most of my stuff at www . cheapcycleparts . com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.