Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went and resupplied my roadside breakdown supplies. They include
Fuses, red green and black wire, fuel line ( 2 sizes ), hose clamps, zip ties, electrical tape. Checked to make sure all my tools were still on the bike since i was at it, they include.
8mm 10mm 12mm wrenches, screwdriver ( flathead and Phillips), set of allen wrenches, wire striper/crimper, wire cutter, sparkplug wrench, both needle nose and regular pliers, crescent wrench, multimeter.
I do have a spare rectifier/voltage regulator, oil filter, and rear brakes in the garage. Think i should pack them too or would that be a tad much lol. O also carry oil, antifreeze, and brake fluid regularly. I might have a touch of paranoia, or maby im just living a prepared life on a 35 year old steed who can say lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
So i went and resupplied my roadside breakdown supplies. They include
Fuses, red green and black wire, fuel line ( 2 sizes ), hose clamps, zip ties, electrical tape. Checked to make sure all my tools were still on the bike since i was at it, they include.
8mm 10mm 12mm wrenches, screwdriver ( flathead and Phillips), set of allen wrenches, wire striper/crimper, wire cutter, sparkplug wrench, both needle nose and regular pliers, crescent wrench, multimeter.
I do have a spare rectifier/voltage regulator, oil filter, and rear brakes in the garage. Think i should pack them too or would that be a tad much lol. O also carry oil, antifreeze, and brake fluid regularly. I might have a touch of paranoia, or maby im just living a prepared life on a 35 year old steed who can say lol

Geez, @bigolepit! You running a roadside motorcycle service business, or what? I know your bike is an older gen shadow, but you've been all through that bike. You need to enjoy that ride, not plan your next breakdown. :grin2: Remember, you chose a honda.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
That is quite a list of supplies. You could get a small trailer and have even more.

I have a lot less, just some basic tools, but I did wrap some duct tape around a pencil just in case. Red/ Green would be proud.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geez, @bigolepit! You running a roadside motorcycle service business, or what? I know your bike is an older gen shadow, but you've been all through that bike. You need to enjoy that ride, not plan your next breakdown. :grin2: Remember, you chose a honda.
Lmfao. @smilie growing up my dad got it in my head " always have tools and quick fix needs in your vehicle ". Plus 19 years trucking has proved to me if its got parts its gonna break. the spare oil filter, rectifier, rear breaks, and antifreeze i dont acually keep on the bike but the rest i do. I gotta alot of pockets in my bags i dont use. I enjoy the ride but i know everything breaks at the worst time, never in my garage lol. Usually my supplies get used on other people's bikes. And i love it when its a Harley that needs a hand, i make a point to tell them let me shut off my honda and ill see what i can do lol

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
In fact with a little trailer you could have a small compressor and tire tools, and a quick set up canopy in case it is raining when you stop at the side of the road. And a little generator in case it is night and very dark and safety cones, AND ................

Forget it just call AAA on your cell phone.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@swifty2014 thats a great idea, then i could have a compressor for my air tools. Lol. Honestly though I didn't realize i acually carried that much. Over time it sorta built up from a basic tool kit. Now im a ratchet and a few sockets from being able to pull my engine on the side of the road lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@swifty2014 Thats hilarious. You mentioned a compressor as i was typing my last response about adding one lol

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Lmfao. @smilie growing up my dad got it in my head " always have tools and quick fix needs in your vehicle ". Plus 19 years trucking has proved to me if its got parts its gonna break. the spare oil filter, rectifier, rear breaks, and antifreeze i dont acually keep on the bike but the rest i do. I gotta alot of pockets in my bags i dont use. I enjoy the ride but i know everything breaks at the worst time, never in my garage lol. Usually my supplies get used on other people's bikes. And i love it when its a Harley that needs a hand, i make a point to tell them let me shut off my honda and ill see what i can do lol

Nope, I get it. I'm the guy that drove a truck and trailer 75 miles home in the middle of the night on a reversed v-belt over serpentine pulleys. Carried that v-belt under the seat for many years, just in case. On the bike I have few odds and ends. The tool kit lives in my shop tool box, unless i'm going on a road trip.
In fact with a little trailer you could have a small compressor and tire tools, and a quick set up canopy in case it is raining when you stop at the side of the road. And a little generator in case it is night and very dark and safety cones, AND ................

Forget it just call AAA on your cell phone.
I like it @swifty2014! We may be onto something here!:wink2:

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
This would SURE LOOK GOOD behind your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
You know what, Maybe a setup like that on the way to Sturges and follow the Harley guys. And pick up the lost parts and sell them back to them and install it right there on the spot. WOW good business.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know what, Maybe a setup like that on the way to Sturges and follow the Harley guys. And pick up the lost parts and sell them back to them and install it right there on the spot. WOW good business.
That might be alot of parts my friend. I might need help lol

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Tool kit, spare bulbs, windshield wipes & MF towels, tire plug kit, and a 8 gauge custom made jumper cable set which lays flat in the bottom of the tail bag.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tool kit, spare bulbs, windshield wipes & MF towels, tire plug kit, and a 8 gauge custom made jumper cable set which lays flat in the bottom of the tail bag.
See guys im not the only one. Granted it could be argued i cary too much but im ready nonetheless lol

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Harbor Freight $10, he gauge on mine is way off..

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I have a bag I carry in the left side saddle bag all the time.

It contains charging cables, flashlight, microfiber cloth, ear plugs, utility knife, pen, marker, notepad (missing in pic, added back), safety glass cheaters (hard getting old), electrical tape, battery jumper (can also be used to charge USB items) the tool kit that comes with the bike, hex key set, tire pressure gauge, zip ties, fuses (need to add another 5 amp, used it a while back), tire plug kit, and a small air compressor (yes, a compressor).

I add stuff as I have problems, and never need it again (I hope).

I probably should add a few shop rags and some nitrile gloves also.
I have been thinking of getting a larger sized tail bag to put it in to free up the left side bag, but really have not needed the space.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do need to put some cables in my bag. Iv needed them a few times for both my bike and friends bikes.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Just make your own with 6-8 feet of 10 gauge wire and some big alligator clips. Easy to store that way instead of heavy jumper cables.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

I carry a wallet and a cell phone. I figure if one can't help, the other one can. >:)

Seriously though, I do ride with a tool kit and have been thinking about putting a tire plug kit in my bag as well. Only problem right now is I took my bag off, so I pretty much have to rely on my wallet or phone for help.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
I carry a few tools, fuses, tire plug kit and small compressor. Other than that, not much else in the line if spare parts/repairs.
Now, extra gloves and glasses, for some reason I carry way to many extras....but, I have loaned/gave numerous pairs to people needing more gear, or dry gear.

No Sig, someone whined and I lost it.. Crybaby....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
"Captain D"
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing