Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been restoring our Grandprix GTP, to give my son something of a first car, and I had to start with rebuilding the M90 supercharger. I thought I would post it here, in case someone was curious about what was in side one, it's a first for me too. I changed out four bearings,shaft seal, and a rubber coupler, grand total $70. Replacement GM would be about $1200 . Just got the car back together, and besides a bad plug wire that I had to replace, the thing runs beautiful . If my wife caught me doing that on her washer/dryer, she would of killed me for sure, but I left no evidence, so it's cool.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Sounds like he will have a h*ll of a first car! :-D

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of like the car myself now, after spending a couple weekends under the hood. This is the engine mess back together, and the car itself.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Those GTP's are FAAAST. Better keep that car for yourself and give him an 89 Honda Civic. If he manages to not crash that after a year, then you could give him the GTP!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My sister had one just like it and she got Pissed everytime she got dusted by a Mustang when the Speed Limiter came in @ 126 mph.I have a Bone stock 91 5.0 T-Bird Sport that will do 140 and has no speed limiter.If you can get a Programmer for it it will remove the speed Limiter.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A friend in college had a '87 Grand National that his dad had bought at a police impound auction for a "father/son" project. His dad was an old school hot rodder/drag racer so the engine got all the special attention he could muster. Talk about a monster!:shock: It might have been "only" a V-6, but I NEVER saw that car lose a race.

I was even there one night when he absolutely lefta '91 ZR-1 Vette. The Vette woulda got him in the long run, but it was no match in the 1/4. That turbo spooled up almost instantly and it was GONE. What I wouldn't give to have that sucker now!!

Your son will love that GTP, but you might want to tell him what my dad told me when I was fixing up a '76 Nova: "If you get a ticket, it's your baby and if you get locked up for racing I ain't gonna come get your @ss out of jail."

That taught me an important lesson: Its only illegal if you get caught!!:shock::mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
A friend in college had a '87 Grand National that his dad had bought at a police impound auction for a "father/son" project. His dad was an old school hot rodder/drag racer so the engine got all the special attention he could muster. Talk about a monster!:shock: It might have been "only" a V-6, but I NEVER saw that car lose a race.

I was even there one night when he absolutely lefta '91 ZR-1 Vette. The Vette woulda got him in the long run, but it was no match in the 1/4. That turbo spooled up almost instantly and it was GONE. What I wouldn't give to have that sucker now!!

Your son will love that GTP, but you might want to tell him what my dad told me when I was fixing up a '76 Nova: "If you get a ticket, it's your baby and if you get locked up for racing I ain't gonna come get your @ss out of jail."

That taught me an important lesson: Its only illegal if you get caught!!:shock::mrgreen:
it's always illegal, but it's your trouble and not mine, if you're caught :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's a really nice car, mine is an '05 GTP with the Competition Group option, only offered on '04-'05 GTP models, it has a speed limiter @142mph. I think thay're great cars, I really enjoy mine.
BTW I also had an '87 Grand National DD would run [email protected].

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
You must be one **** of a mechanic. That is no easy chore tearing into an engine in todays cars. Very little room to work.

I bought the wife a new 02 GT and she loved the car. They are an awesome handling ride.

Chris

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Those GTP's are FAAAST. Better keep that car for yourself and give him an 89 Honda Civic. If he manages to not crash that after a year, then you could give him the GTP!
After raising five boys, I would have to agree. A bit too much car for 1st. time drivers. Kids need to learn appreciation for what is earned not given. Who knows you might have an exceptional young man. JMHO BTW nice looking car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts